WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Bogey on November 03, 2012, 02:23:36 PM
One of the bottles that will be opened tonight:

More here:

http://www.ciaccipiccolomini.com/

I think I have a couple of bottles of the 2004 of this. I also believe I've had the 2001; this is good stuff.

SonicMan46

Hi Bill & Erato - drinking some good wines, esp. that list from E! - boy, I remember owning some of those Bordeaux (not the top ones) - BUT, all of mine have been consumed and @ my age not planning to buy any more to age (would have to pass them on to a future generation -  ;D).

Yesterday, I received my half case purchase of two reds from Castello di Borghese (North Fork, Long Island), i.e. two reserves, a 2008 barrel fermented Pinot Noir Reserve & a 2007 Merlot Reserve - now I've drank red wines in the eastern USA (Long Island, Virginia, & North Carolina) for decades, but must say that these were some of the BEST reds that I've tasted @ the wineries - of course, these do not always please @ home in a larger amount -  :-\

BUT, over the last few nights, I've been sipping on the Pinot Noir and maintain my initial opinion - this is one of the best red wines that I've had from the eastern USA areas mentioned (NOTE - this does not include Oregon or California) - the bottom line for me is that good red wine is certainly a reality on the east coast of the USA - NOW, these bottles were not cheap, so can 'decent' red wine be made in these locales at a reasonable price?  Don't know but time will tell - Dave :)   P.S. the image below is a year off the one that I bought, i.e. 2008!

Brahmsian

Does anybody else enjoy Malbecs from Argentina?  My favourite is the Don David.

I love how the taste changes as you sip it and let it air longer.  Goes great with dark chocolate!  :)

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on November 03, 2012, 02:49:17 PM
I think I have a couple of bottles of the 2004 of this. I also believe I've had the 2001; this is good stuff.

We never opened it, but will next visit.  He already had a bottle of this open:

and he gave me a bottle to take home! :)  We also had a French wine,but I do recall the name.  I meant to bring the bottle home, so will text him for the label later today.  The urgency comes from the fact that it was one, if not the best, wine I have ever had.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2012, 05:46:14 PM

I love how the taste changes as you sip it and let it air longer.  Goes great with dark chocolate!  :)

Here is one I enjoy that will not set you back much, Ray:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

We love 'em. The price/quality ratio is usually favorable. Our local wine merchant, Jacques Wein-Depot, stocks a few. Their latest arrival, and our latest Malbec purchase, was this one:

€9.50 a bottle.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Hi Ray (Bill & Sarge) - I am now buying more wines from Chile & Argentina, and Malbec is the red that I have most of from South America; I can only get the 'usual' brands (like the Catena shown) and at good prices; newest additions to my now modest cellar are the Catena (2010) & Norton Reserva (2008).

I also receive the Wine Spectator and there are always reviews of Chilean & Argentinean reds that receive great reviews (ratings in the 90s) but are usually expensive and made in small volumes, so unlikely to see any shelf space in North Carolina - would like to taste some of these offerings!

Reds from South American & Washington State have largely replaced the reds from my past (i.e. Bordeaux, Rhone, & California), but I guess my largest 'red proportion' is now Pinot Noir mainly from Oregon & California, but trying the New Zealand ones that reach my state (again similar situation to the better rated Malbecs) - one reason that I was rather 'shocked' by the Long Island P. Noir commented on by me a few posts ago - this side of the USA just does poorly w/ this grape!

Concerning the Malbecs that come my way, most are in the $10-$20 range, and are usually good (to my taste) to even excellent - believe that Norton I bought had a 90 rating in Wine Spectator; the young ones can be tannic and 1-2 yrs in my basement cellar seems to mellow them, as expected; I'm sure that those more expensive and rarer Malbecs would require much more aging.  Well my 2 cents!  Dave :)

Bogey

Here is the French wine I had a couple weeks back.  I would rank it the best wine I ever tasted.

The "grape" just came through like nothing I have ever tasted. 

On tap for Thanksgiving dinner, back to Spain:

Dry with sweetness absent.  Both Linda and I fell for it at a wine tasting.

The new erato

Quote from: Bogey on November 20, 2012, 08:07:54 PM
Here is the French wine I had a couple weeks back.  I would rank it the best wine I ever tasted.

The "grape" just came through like nothing I have ever tasted. 

Interesting coincidence here. I was at at Burgundy tasting last Sunday of 22 reds from between 1990 to 2002 vintages, and this wine was present in both the 2002 and 1999 edition. Clavelier is a producer that "punches above his weight" and well worth buying (though Burgundy at this level never is inexpensive), and this is why I have a few bottles of 2002 and 2006 of this in my own cellar.

The two vintages we tasted came through with flying colors, I have notes, but not here, and not yet written up for publication. The 1er Cru portion of Combe d'Orveaux where Clavelier's plot is situated (there's also a part merely classified as village where among other Anne Gros makes a fine village wine) is neighboring Musigny, and the vineyard have been called a "mini Musigny" by many by virtue of its class and style.

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on November 21, 2012, 01:41:40 AM
Interesting coincidence here. I was at at Burgundy tasting last Sunday of 22 reds from between 1990 to 2002 vintages, and this wine was present in both the 2002 and 1999 edition. Clavelier is a producer that "punches above his weight" and well worth buying (though Burgundy at this level never is inexpensive), and this is why I have a few bottles of 2002 and 2006 of this in my own cellar.

The two vintages we tasted came through with flying colors, I have notes, but not here, and not yet written up for publication. The 1er Cru portion of Combe d'Orveaux where Clavelier's plot is situated (there's also a part merely classified as village where among other Anne Gros makes a fine village wine) is neighboring Musigny, and the vineyard have been called a "mini Musigny" by many by virtue of its class and style.

Coolness!  Dop your notes when you can. :)

Also, note one of the few "flags" where you can buy this vintage. ;)

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-94883-2006-domaine-bruno-clavelier-la-combe-d-orveaux-vieilles-vignes-chambolle-musigny-premier-cru-france

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2012, 04:46:20 AM
Bill! Happy Thanksgiving to you & your'n!

And to yours, Karl.  Hope you have today off and are enjoying it.  If not, then tomorrow.

Karl Henning

In the cube farm, but it will be a short day, so it already feels most agreeably holiday-making-like.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

I'm not at all sure that listening to the Shostakovich Fifteenth [Symphony] is at all suited to Thanksgiving, but it was what my ears itched for this morning . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on November 21, 2012, 04:53:48 AM
I'm not at all sure that listening to the Shostakovich Fifteenth [Symphony] is at all suited to Thanksgiving, but it was what my ears itched for this morning . . . .
Perhaps after listening to it you will give thanks you weren't born in the Soviet Union under the crook, rapist and highway robber Dzhugashvili.

The new erato

Quote from: Bogey on November 21, 2012, 04:45:39 AM
Coolness!  Dop your notes when you can. :)

Also, note one of the few "flags" where you can buy this vintage. ;)

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-94883-2006-domaine-bruno-clavelier-la-combe-d-orveaux-vieilles-vignes-chambolle-musigny-premier-cru-france
My notes on the Clavelier Combe d'Orveaux 2002:
Beautiful wine, fine concentrated fruit. Slightly earthy, cherries and fruit stone (pips?). Fine lngth, a nice, slight bitterness to the finish, well integrated oak. Dark color, delicious, showing the slightly sweet fruit core of many 2002 red Burgundies.

And the 99: Somewhat cooler style, perhaps slightly less concentration, pretty minerality here, in a less open and generous place than the 02, and the fruit tends more towards red berries (raspberries, redcurrants) than the 02. In need of more time.

4 guys and 14 wines last night (we are prone to not empty all bottles though and drink lots of water); of which the more memorable were:

Salon 97 BdB Champagne
Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Friedrich Emile 2002
Chateau La Louviere blanc 2000
Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1996
Muga Prado Enea 2004
Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanee Clos du Chateau 2002
Les Forts de Latour 2002
Rene Engel Grand Echezeaux 2003
Huet Vouvray Clos de Bourg 2005 Sec
Huet Vouvray Les Haut-Lieu 2005 Moilleux

The Clos des Lambrays 2002 was very disappointing, and a half bottle of d'Yquem 96 showed way too young.

Another appointment with another bunch of guys (with wives this time) tonight. A hard life.

The new erato

Im afraid Saturday was another vinous night with another circle of friends, this time me and four other guys that goes back 20 years as to wine drinking, this time with wives so 10 persons in all.

Pol Roger Rose 2002
Noble Cuvee de Lanson 1989
Maximin Grünhauser Herrenberg Riesling Spätlese 1988
Pouilly Fuisse La Roche 2002, Guffens Heynen
Riesling "Cuvée Frédéric Émile" 1992
Riesling Ried Klaus Smaragd 2002, Prager
Pinot Gris Hengst 2009, Albert Mann
Chateau Grand Puy Ducasse 1982
Cornas Reynard 2000, Allemand
CdP Cuvee Reservee 2001,Domaine de  Pegau
Gevrey Chambertin Clos St. Jacques 1996
Clos de la Roche 2001, Drouhin
Niepoort Vintage 1997

Overall, this was a weekend to keep the Norwegian winter cold at bay!

Bogey

Quote from: The new erato on December 01, 2012, 01:47:58 AM
My notes on the Clavelier Combe d'Orveaux 2002:
Beautiful wine, fine concentrated fruit. Slightly earthy, cherries and fruit stone (pips?). Fine lngth, a nice, slight bitterness to the finish, well integrated oak. Dark color, delicious, showing the slightly sweet fruit core of many 2002 red Burgundies.

And the 99: Somewhat cooler style, perhaps slightly less concentration, pretty minerality here, in a less open and generous place than the 02, and the fruit tends more towards red berries (raspberries, redcurrants) than the 02. In need of more time.

4 guys and 14 wines last night (we are prone to not empty all bottles though and drink lots of water); of which the more memorable were:

Salon 97 BdB Champagne
Trimbach Riesling Cuvee Friedrich Emile 2002
Chateau La Louviere blanc 2000
Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle 1996
Muga Prado Enea 2004
Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanee Clos du Chateau 2002
Les Forts de Latour 2002
Rene Engel Grand Echezeaux 2003
Huet Vouvray Clos de Bourg 2005 Sec
Huet Vouvray Les Haut-Lieu 2005 Moilleux

The Clos des Lambrays 2002 was very disappointing, and a half bottle of d'Yquem 96 showed way too young.

Another appointment with another bunch of guys (with wives this time) tonight. A hard life.

Thanks!

Bogey

2007 Louis Jadot Les Fuees, Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru, France

Just got a bottle of this from 2007....pricey for my pockets.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/louis+jadot+les+fuees+chambolle+musigny+premier+cru+cote+de+nuit+burgundy/2007

Why such the variation for this "look" of label?

Seems to be a small plot:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-chambolle-musigny+les+fuees

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on March 03, 2013, 04:41:33 PM

2007 Louis Jadot Les Fuees, Chambolle-Musigny Premier Cru, France

Just got a bottle of this from 2007....pricey for my pockets.

Why such the variation for this "look" of label?

Seems to be a small plot:  http://www.wine-searcher.com/regions-chambolle-musigny+les+fuees

Hi Bill - well, you guys are really splurging! :)  I used to have a nice collection of red Burgundies (i.e. when they were much less expensive for a good year & producer); of course, you know this is Pinot Noir, which is a grape that I've loved for decades (probably my favorite red wine), but now I buy mostly Oregon & California PNs. 

BTW, the appearance of that label is pretty typical of those from Burgundy at least when I was buying them - can't remember if 2007 was a good year but now @ 6 yrs of age likely will be tasting just fine - enjoy!  Dave