WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Dave, what's the name of that shop in Bordeaux? Looks like a must-visit!

~

Made an exciting discovery today. Dallas has a first-rate Italian grocery with four aisles of wines from every province in Italy - the Piedmont to Calabria, Friuli to Sardegna. I'd never seen a single one of the bottles or wineries before. So... anyone want to offer some Italian wine advice? Varieties or specific names to try.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on June 22, 2013, 01:19:32 PM
So... anyone want to offer some Italian wine advice? Varieties or specific names to try.

My favorite varietal of red is, currently at least, Lagrein, which is special to Alto Adige and maybe a bit of the Trentino. It's a complex red wine with fine body ... in some ways combining the intriguing sides of Pinot Noir with the mouth-smacking satisfaction of Tuscan Cuvees and Amarone.

If you like a heavy wine like an Amarone, but your wallet has limits and it need not always have the last word in sophistication, a Ripasso is usually a good idea. A souped up (almost literally) Valpolicella with lots of full bodied oompf. Like a hot girlfriend... that's not so smart. You move on, before she starts discussing philosophy.

Sean

Bai jiu is this Chinese national drink, made from a crop called sorghum, colourless and very strong. I drink a 56% brand but you can get 65%; regardless of strength it's smooth and drinkable. It's the best alcoholic drink in the entire world as it's free of impurities, likably pungent and very cheap seemingly without any tax. You can buy litres of it in huge plastic bottles for a few dollars or pounds if you like, enough to kill you many times over. It's pronounced By Jo but lost in transliteration.

All this drivel here about expensive wines and their fake sophisticated aftertaste- why not drink cherryaid you pompous morons? All that matters is how strong it is and how fast it intoxicates you, or why drink it?

In the last few months I've taken out dozens of groups of early 20s students to the restaurant and they might try bai jiu but are usually politely horrified by it; boys are sometimes more robust and outgoing but I guess I find there to be something missing in terms of conviviality by the end of the meeting...

I remember what it was like when I was that age but the readily availability and lack of fetishization of alcohol, plus the stoic principled need to get back to work is quite an observation...

SonicMan46

Dave, what's the name of that shop in Bordeaux? Looks like a must-visit!..........

Hi Brian - just did a Google search on a 'spiral wine cellar' in Bordeaux - this LINK Came UP - take a look - been to France three times but never Bordeaux - BUT, would be a FUN visit, me thinks! :)  Dave

bhodges

Quote from: Sean on June 22, 2013, 06:02:40 PM
All this drivel here about expensive wines and their fake sophisticated aftertaste- why not drink cherryaid you pompous morons? All that matters is how strong it is and how fast it intoxicates you, or why drink it?

Um...maybe because wine tastes good? Oh sorry, I forgot: "pompous morons" wouldn't know anything about that.  ::)

--Bruce

mc ukrneal

Dave, what's the name of that shop in Bordeaux? Looks like a must-visit!

~

Made an exciting discovery today. Dallas has a first-rate Italian grocery with four aisles of wines from every province in Italy - the Piedmont to Calabria, Friuli to Sardegna. I'd never seen a single one of the bottles or wineries before. So... anyone want to offer some Italian wine advice? Varieties or specific names to try.
There are so many good Italian wines, I don't even know where to start. Last one I had was a reasonably priced Tommasi Poggio al Tufo Rompicollo 2010. Not top the line or anything, but an everyday type of wine that we enjoyed.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sean

Quote from: Brewski on June 24, 2013, 08:26:45 AM
Um...maybe because wine tastes good? Oh sorry, I forgot: "pompous morons" wouldn't know anything about that.  ::)

One of us has much to learn.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brewski on June 24, 2013, 08:26:45 AM
--Bruce

Don't be feeding the trolls, Bruce. That's what the convenient "Ignore List" is for!k

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: jlaurson on June 24, 2013, 11:43:20 PM
Don't be feeding the trolls, Bruce. That's what the convenient "Ignore List" is for!k

I don't know if a Mod can actually do that and still be a mod.  >:D

Sergeant Rock

Banfi makes consistently good Chianti for a reasonable price. I especially like the Riserva. Should be around $15 a bottle.

I love the wines of Piedmont. Barbaresco and Barolo are usually quite expensive, though. Look for Barbera d'Asti and Barbera d'Alba for affordable reds.

My current favorite Italian white is Lugana, a wine from a small northern region of Italy on the southern banks Lake Garda.

"Lugana is hardly a household word for most wine enthusiasts, but perhaps it ought to be: This region's white wines, luscious, full-bodied and surprisingly ageworthy, deserve ranking among the world's great whites for their balance, beauty and food-friendly style.

I expect it's no coincidence that the wine evolved on the shores of one of Italy's largest freshwater lakes makes a stunning companion with just about every kind of fish.

All Lugana is white; a small amount is sparkling, but the lion's share is made as a dry, still wine. The grape is Trebbiano, a variety that in most of the rest of Italy (and in France, where it's known as Ugni Blanc) is lightly regarded at best. In Lugana, however, Trebbiano is different, a serious grape making a serious wine. Luscious and "transparent," exceptional for showing minerality and "terroir."

Ca dei Frati makes a great example:

Although the above review notes the wine's aging potential, Mrs. Rock and I prefer it young and kicking.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 25, 2013, 03:52:04 AM
Banfi makes consistently good Chianti for a reasonable price. I especially like the Reserva. Should be around $15 a bottle.

I love the wines of Piedmont. Barbaresco and Barolo are usually quite expensive, though. Look for Barbera d'Asti and Barbera d'Alba for affordable reds.

Banfi are pretty dependable, but I find the Riserva sometimes too tanic and strong tasting. The Banfi Centine is quite similar and roughly 2/3 the price (and lighter in character). Antinori are pretty dependable too, thoug,h I had a strange run of bad bottles from them one year. Oh, and I remember someone raving about the Da Vinici Chianti Riserva (2007 I think, 2006 was good but not great). I love their labels, which is why I mention them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on June 25, 2013, 04:44:40 AM
Oh, and I remember someone raving about the Da Vinici Chianti Riserva (2007 I think, 2006 was good but not great). I love their labels, which is why I mention them.

I've had Da Vinci's basic Chianti and enjoyed it. Will have to hunt down the Riserva.

Poggiopiano is another maker from Tuscany I find reliable, from top to bottom. We drink the wines often (a local supermarket carries the entire line). We did have a problem with some corked bottles last year but that seems to have passed.

Sarge

bhodges

Quote from: jlaurson on June 24, 2013, 11:43:20 PM

Sorry, had a momentary outage, and you are quite right. However, as Philo notes, mods cannot ignore anyone.  8)

Quote from: Philo on June 24, 2013, 11:45:30 PM
I don't know if a Mod can actually do that and still be a mod.  >:D

You are correct (meaning, the software does not allow it, even if we wanted to). And now, apologies for the slight derailment and back to wine - one of life's great pleasures. (As with many threads, I read and learn more than I contribute.)

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brewski on June 25, 2013, 05:38:28 AM
Sorry, had a momentary outage, and you are quite right. However, as Philo notes, mods cannot ignore anyone.  8)

You are correct (meaning, the software does not allow it, even if we wanted to). And now, apologies for the slight derailment and back to wine - one of life's great pleasures. (As with many threads, I read and learn more than I contribute.)

--Bruce

Yes, Bruce - would do well to get back to wine (defined here by a grape fermented beverage w/ 20% or less alcohol - must include the ports - and would accept some non-grape products to be fair to my wife who seems to enjoy these drinks). 

For Sean there is another thread that covers the 'stronger' alcoholic beverages or maybe a new one, such as Binge Drinking would be of interest?   ;) :D  Dave

BTW - years ago a Chinese friend (originally from Shanghai) returned from a trip there and brought back some 'fiery' beverage (believe 80% alcohol) - one taste was enough for me - :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sean on June 25, 2013, 09:58:20 AM

Dude, you photoshopped that picture. I know you have better taste than that. I did a google search; found the original. So it was really Lafite Rothschild you were glugging! Ha!....busted!

Sarge

Brian

EDIT: Thanks all for the Italian wine ideas. I'll be back to the shop probably next week with a list and your generous advice to guide me.  :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 25, 2013, 11:32:59 AM
Dude, you photoshopped that picture. I know you have better taste than that. I did a google search; found the original. So it was really Lafite Rothschild you were glugging! Ha!....busted!
Sarge

I almost don't know which one is more offensive. 

I'm off to the balcony now, to joint these little friends (after they'd been sitting in olive oil, chilies, and a bit of lime juice, and then gotten the heck fried out of them) on the balcony, with a Wittmann Riesling and a big salad.

Oh, and the new LISTEN Magazine finally arrived here!!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot