WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Some wine cartoons that have been emailed to me in the last week or two - Dave  :laugh:

Florestan

Anyone growing his own grapevine and making his own wine? 
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2013, 11:02:55 AM
When I was a kid, we had a neighbor (who was from Romania) and he grew his own vines and made his own wine (right there in suburbia). It was...invigorating! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wakefield

Today at lunchtime:

An excellent Chilean Carmenère for just $7. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on December 06, 2013, 11:02:55 AM
My dad and brother have made wine from cloudberries, apples and crowberries, very successfully too. Too bad distilling them is illegal here.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on December 06, 2013, 11:48:52 AM
My dad and brother have made wine from cloudberries, apples and crowberries, very successfully too. Too bad distilling them is illegal here.

I like those guys!
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

North Star

Quote from: Gordo on December 06, 2013, 11:59:13 AM
I like those guys!
:)
I would be the one doing the distillation if it wasn't illegal  :-X

My photographs on Flickr

Wakefield

Quote from: North Star on December 06, 2013, 11:59:57 AM
:)
I would be the one doing the distillation if it wasn't illegal  :-X

Me too... but I like those guys!  :D
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 06, 2013, 11:35:24 AM
When I was a kid, we had a neighbor (who was from Romania) and he grew his own vines and made his own wine (right there in suburbia). It was...invigorating! :)

Nice.  :D

Quote from: North Star on December 06, 2013, 11:48:52 AM
My dad and brother have made wine from cloudberries, apples and crowberries, very successfully too.

I guess it was very good.  :)

Too bad distilling them is illegal here.

Even for your own, personal use?

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2013, 02:07:13 AM
I guess it was very good.  :)

Even for your own, personal use?
Different wines from each, and yes they all have been excellent.
Well it's not exactly illegal, but very strictly controlled, and you have to have a license, even if you only distill for your own use,

My photographs on Flickr

jlaurson

Amazing Chardonnay (Morillon) yesterday, after making it the waiter's choice what to bring me. "Fruity [Fruchtig in German has less of a connotation of sweetness or cuteness], by all means... but not necessarily light"

I had one sip and thought: Boy, I hope it's not as expensive as it is good. Well, it was still the second most expensive open wine on the menu, but at a low-key place so it didn't break the piggy bank.

Gross, Suedsteiermark. http://www.gross.at/weine__lagen/startin
http://www.gross.at/jart/prj3/gross/resources/dbcon_def/uploads/downlaods/datenblaetter/Startin/Morillon_Startin_2011.pdf

I think -- I hope -- it was this one. Although I suppose it could have been this one, too: "Morillon Ratscher Nussberg" In which case I just ordered a case of the wrong one. :-)

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on December 07, 2013, 03:04:10 AM
Well it's not exactly illegal, but very strictly controlled, and you have to have a license, even if you only distill for your own use,

I see. AFAIK, here in Romania one does not need any license for producing less than a certain amount of self-made alcoholic drinks --- don't ask me the exact amount for I ignore it completely and so does anybody else.  ;D

As for control, neither the government has any means to implement it, nor the people will ever submit to it.  :D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2013, 05:21:44 AM
I see. AFAIK, here in Romania one does not need any license for producing less than a certain amount of self-made alcoholic drinks --- don't ask me the exact amount for I ignore it completely and so does anybody else.  ;D

As for control, neither the government has any means to implement it, nor the people will ever submit to it.  :D
One can make as much alcoholic beverage by fermentation as one wants, as long as one doesn't sell it. And of course one could distill too without the authorities knowing about it..

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Fermenting stuff (wine, beer, cider) is allowed as long as one doesn't sell, distilling is forbidden (here in Norway),

North Star

Quote from: The new erato on December 07, 2013, 06:06:39 AM
Fermenting stuff (wine, beer, cider) is allowed as long as one doesn't sell, distilling is forbidden (here in Norway),
Maybe if we built the distillation system at Treriksrøys...  :laugh:

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Bogey

This Colorado Cab with our prime rib dinner.  It is actually quite flavorful and finishes nicely.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

To go along with our annual Oscars' party tomorrow:

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on December 25, 2013, 05:40:16 PM

This Colorado Cab with our prime rib dinner.  It is actually quite flavorful and finishes nicely.

Bill - I've been to Colorado just twice (Denver, Aspen, Colorado Springs, etc.) but both trips were a while back and wine production there was probably in its infancy at the time?  But, which parts of the state are making the wine since you're up a mile in Denver - curious?  Dave

P.S. that Mt. Veeder Napa Cabernet should be nicely aged and delicious (might want to decant an hour or so before consumption - :))