WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound67

Morambro Creek Padthaway Shiraz 2003 (AU), € 10

A stronger, more pepper-y Shiraz than the d'Arenberg, with spices and fruit registering equally. Blackberry is the domineering fruit flavor, pepper and cigar(!) feature strongly in the finish. The finish is outstandingly long for a red at this price, but won't go well with people who don't like a bitter aftertaste. High notes from wine experts seem well-deserved.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

The new erato

Had these last Friday:

Started with a well-cellared Krug NV which I didn't take notes on.Then we sat down and I got some writing materials for the following short notes.

Pierre Peters Millesines 96 (not the 100% Mesnils Mesnillesines): Very tight and slightly bitter. Very acidic and unapproachable, perhaps too much so.

Pol Roger Brut 96: Appley, primary and rich. Very long. This seems to  be slowly getting its act together.

Larmandier-Bernier VV de Cramant 96: Slightly more mature, smokey and very creamy style. Approachable but still young.

Billecart-Salmon Cuvee NF Billecart 96: Very rich, doughy, some sweetness, rich and very muscular. 

Lanson Gold Label Brut 90: Quite balanced and freh, slightly simple and light but finely balanced.

Philiponnat Clos des Goisses 90: Slightly oxydized and over the top. Slightly sweet and heavy, low acids (must have been HOT in the Goisses vineyard I 1990!). Lacks some structure, the 91 is FAR better.

Roederer Cristal 90: Extremely elegant, narrow and focused with hints of vanilla, beautifully balanced and a really superb and gracious champagne.

Bollinger Grand Anne 90: Lacks some stuffing in the midtaste, slightly heavy and bitter and not well balanced in the finish.

Bollinger VV Francise 90: Distinctly red fruits on the nose, quite minerally with hints of smoked meats. Very fruity finish, fine balance.

Salon 90: Slightly edgy and clumsy structure: I'm not convinced, Salon seems to suffer from lots of bottle variation as well as oxidation issues.

Gratien Brut 88: A bruiser of a champagne. Massive, slightly sweet fruit, very big style, well made with lots of potential.

Gratien Brut 85: Starting to open, and quite elegant for a Gratien. Appley fruit with fine balance and very long, but lacks some of the enormous concentration of the 88, still very good.

A Dom Perignon 75 was corked.

Finally a Borgoogno Barolo 64 that was gone, with a nose of furniture polish and broth. Better with air, but still... And a Serafino 64 that was simply superb with absolutely marvellous acids and fine, mature and aromatic Nebbiolo fruit.

sound67

Quote from: sound67 on September 08, 2007, 03:35:17 AM

Morambro Creek Padthaway Shiraz 2003 (AU), € 10

Having another sip of it hours later the finish has smoothened a bit. Clearly, this is a wine that needs to be decanted an hour or so before consumption.

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

sound67

Thelema Sutherland Sauvignon Blanc 2006 (RSA, Stellenbosch), € 12-13

A fresh but not lightweight sauvignon blanc, with enough mineral notes and tropical fruit in the finish to firmly ground the gooseberry overtones. With plenty of citrus, without making the wine seem acidic. Close to the Babich and Neil Ellis SB's I tasted earlier, with a strong finish. Very good value.

Thomas

sound67

Vergelegen Sauvignon Blanc 2006 (RSA, Stellenbosch), € 13

On the fruitier end of SB's comes this one from South Africa. Grapefruit and passion fruit, with hints of white pepper. Acid is moderate, maybe a bit too moderate - the wine seems less fresh than some. In comparison to Neil Ellis and Babich, rather a bit harmless and nonchalant. Maybe more elegant, but the finish is shorter.

Thomas

SonicMan46

Hello, Thomas - that Aussie Shiraz & the Sauvignon Blancs look like they would be to my liking - unfortunately, I've not seen that Australian label here -  >:(  I have not been shopping for wine in a couple of weeks, so must get out and search for some South African vinos!  :D

Over the weekend, sipping on the newest Concha y Toro Cabernet, 2005 - young, dark, unctous, & tannic - showns great promise - about $14 here, so will likely pick up a few bottles for the cellar, and wait a couple of years; bought the '05 Merlot - these are from the Puente Alto Vineyard in the Maipo Valley - this HUGE Chiliean Winery seems to be just getting better all of the time; I've been exploring these Chilean & Argentinian reds for a while, esp. w/ the outrageous prices of the better California offerings of the same varietals!

Also, sipping on the Rosenblum Viognier, 2005 Kathy's Cuvee - quote below from one review - have to agree completely; about $15 - had some last night w/ scallops (posted in the eating thread) - might finish the rest off tonight - been a long day @ work!  ;) ;D

Quotepossesses beautiful aromas of apricots and peaches gently touched by vanilla and cinnamon. A palate loaded with honeydew melon, apricots, rich vanillas, subtle hints of tropical fruit and just a touch of toastiness complete this elegant wine

sound67

Is this Viognier oaked? Vanilla notes seem to indicate that.

Land's End Elim Vinyards Sauvignon Blanc 2003 (RSA, Elim), € 12-13

From the very south of South Africa comes this SB with ripe melon and tropical fruit aromas, little gooseberry here. And not much acid either. A mouthfilling SB to be sure, but altogether a little "mainstream-y", i.e. bland. I think altogether I'll prefer the New Zealand SB's over the South African ones, with the notable exception of Neil Ellis.

Two small bottles of d'Arenberg The Dead Arm Shiraz in the mail today (also two highly rated Glen Carlou Syrah's and Palliser Estate Sauvignon Blancs of Marlborough).  Got to have some friends over ...

Thomas

SonicMan46

Quote from: sound67 on September 11, 2007, 10:25:46 AM
Is this Viognier oaked? Vanilla notes seem to indicate that.

Thomas - for the '05 the back label was of no help, although I agree w/ your comment, and the wine did taste like one that had seen oak and went through ML fermentation - below is a description of the '06 Viognier - Kathy's Cuvee which has just been released; I'd assume that the '05 was handled in a similar manner - Dave  :)

QuoteSourced from two distinct vineyards, grapes for this wine were gently whole-cluster pressed and fermented for over two months in a mixture of French, American oak and stainless steel barrels.

sound67

I was asking because SO many whites come unoaked these days. Even more and more reds. Vanilla and oak flavors seem to be unfashionable now for young wines.

RAKA Biography Shiraz 2003 (RSA, Walker Bay), € 15,-

A characterful Shiraz from SA, rivalling the Aussie competition in intensity of fruit and white pepper aromas. Blackberry notes are particularly strong with this syrah, with above-average concentration for a wine of this price and a long and complex finish. Decanting of 1 hour is recommended. This one's oaked, of course.

Thomas

sound67

After all those pleasures from overseas ...

Laquai Riesling "Classic" 2006 (Germany, Rheingau) € 6

I always consider it wise to follow the advice of wine sellers when you ask them which wines they themselves are drinking. Which lead me to this extremely fruity (apricot and tropical fruit, with very moderate acid) Riesling from the Laquai Brothers, a wine company in  the Rheingau region of southern Germany (http://www.weingut-laquai.de/weingut1.htm). They also make high-class "Erstes Gewächs" wines, but this moderately priced white is far better than one would expect. Most Germans prefer their Riesling mean and lean, but those always seem to be too acidic and not altogether approachable. This is the complete opposite, a fabulous everyday drinking white, not very complex perhaps, but with good body. Next bottle, please!

Thomas

SonicMan46

Well, returned from a visit to one of the larger wine retailers in the area a few days ago - picked up some cellar additions, at least for the reds.

Casa Lapostolle Chardonnay - Cuvee Alexandre (2005 vintage) - about $20 - rating of 90 from the Wine Spectator - this Chilean Winery is making some excellent wines, in particular the whites from the more coastal Casablanca Vly have really improved in recent years; probably the third vintage that I've sampled from this special cuvee - of course, sees more oak & has those wonderful tropical fruit flavors that I notice in chardonnays from the Southern Hemisphere.

Shingleback Shiraz (2004) from McLaren Vale - $22 - 91 ratings in the Wine Spectator & Wine Enthusiast - already have several previous vintages aging in my basement cellar - still quite tannic but dark & loaded w/ blackberry flavors; plenty of oak - will let it sit a year & give it a try!  :)

Thorn-Clarke Shiraz - Shotfire Ridge (2005 vintage; not the one shown) - $20 - 90 rating in the Wine Spectator - second vintage in the cellar; plus, the same 2006 vintage was just rated 91, so will likely add that when it arrives in town!  Similar comments to the other shiraz - dark, tannic, highly extracted fruit - might have to leave that one for 2 years?  But hey, I have plenty of '02 - '04s Aussies to drink!  ;D

sound67

How long do you usually keep your Shiraz'es before you drink them? Just bought 6 bottles of the highly rated Mitolo GAM Shiraz of 2004 (95 Parker points), and I wonder whether it makes any sense to drink some of it now.

SonicMan46

Quote from: sound67 on September 13, 2007, 12:09:02 PM
How long do you usually keep your Shiraz'es before you drink them? Just bought 6 bottles of the highly rated Mitolo GAM Shiraz of 2004 (95 Parker points), and I wonder whether it makes any sense to drink some of it now.

Thomas - I no longer subscribe to Parker, so have not read the reviews on the wine above, but sounds like a GREAT choice w/ that rating; with a half case, I'd first look at Parker's review for his suggestions & also give the wine a 'taste' myself (an extra bottle purchase or 1 of the 6 bought), and then make a decision on whether to wait, how long to wait, and then try another bottle in several years depending on your initial impressions - I like my 'reds' younger & tannic (rather than 'over the hill').

In general, I don't keep my Aussie Shiraz wines that long - as stated before I'm drinking the '02 & '03 in my cellar at the moment, so 5-6 years of age would be my limit on most of the ones I purchase; again would depend on the wine and my first impressions - for the less expensive ones which likely are ready to consume immediately, not much 'wait' if any is needed; for the more expensive, tannic, & extracted ones, I might wait a few years.  I guess my 'bottom line' is that for the shiraz that I buy locally, I'll rarely save them beyond their 5-6th vintage year.

But, if you give that one mentioned a taste, please comment - I'd be curious on your own opinions regarding aging these wines.   :D

sound67

Thanks for the tips. I am going to compare some flagship Shirazes (Rosemount's Balmoral Syrah, d'Arenberg's The Dead Arm and Ben Glaetzer's Mitolo) later this year, I don't think I can get the Shotfire Ridge here.

Meanwhile, ...

Weingut MANZ Grüner Silvaner 2006 QbA (Germany, Rheinhessen), € 6-7,-

Another recommendation from a local wineseller. This Silvaner (a grape once hugely popular in Germany, but now making a comeback) can be compared to some Sauvignon Blanc(s) from RSA and Australia. Lively acid balances the intense fruit flavors (green apple, predominantly), a wine that would go well with many dishes since it is strong and mouth-filling. Unfortunately, I don't cook, so it has to stand on its own, which it does. Great mineral notes, too.

Thomas

sound67

Now this. Hmmmmmmhhhh....

d'Arenberg The Noble Riesling 2002 (AU, McLaren Vale), € 16/half-bottle

Positive proof that there are outstanding sweet wines from down under. Raisins and oranges on the nose, and on the palate, with sufficient acid not to make it appear too sweet. Long-lasting finish. Mouth-filling, heavy, elegant, GREAT!

Thomas

SonicMan46

Quote from: sound67 on September 14, 2007, 11:19:17 AM
Now this. Hmmmmmmhhhh....
d'Arenberg The Noble Riesling 2002 (AU, McLaren Vale), € 16/half-bottle.............................

Thomas - that wine looks just delicious!  :P  I've some d'Arenberg Shiraz (have one in the cellar) which has been quite good!

But for those of you who love Aussie wines - the latest book by James Halliday Wine Atlas of Australia (2006) is a MUST acquisition - CLICK on the image for comments - about a third through the book - just outstanding maps, beautiful pictures, concise descriptions of the wine zones/regions, brief descriptions of some of the major wineries, etc. - this is not a guide to picking current wines, but a reference book by the current best writer from this country!

Unfortunately for me, a vast majority of these wineries do not even ship to my area - however, for those who have access to Australian wines, this is a great reference - highly recommended!  8) :D

sound67

I'll be looking for that book...  :D

Meanwhile, another French white

Domaine Bellevue Paul Buisse Touraine Sauvignon Blanc (F, Val de Loire), € 6-8

Upon recommendation from another wine shop here in Frankfurt. This SB reveals its full range of fruit (melon, ananas, apple) and acid best when drunk at 10-11°C, below that it would seem a trifle bland. A fruity one again, just as I prefer my SB's, if not quite on the level of NZ SB's at their best.

Thomas

Sergeant Rock

Recent purchases:

On vacation with relatives two weeks ago we stopped at Schloss Johannisberg in the Rheingau for lunch and to sample wines, and stood at the top of the very steep Würzgarten vineyard in Ürzig on the Mosel:

I bought a six-pack of the Johannisberger 2005 Erstes Gewächs (first growth), €32 a bottle. The Dr. Loosen Kabinett I found in the base exchange at Ramstein Air Base near Kaiserslautern: $15 a bottle, one of the most expensive (for this quality level) wines in Germany.

Also from the base exchange:

The Gundlach Bundschu is a Bordeaux (Pomerol specifically) style blend: 74% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cab Franc and 1% Petit Verdot. A delicious wine redolent of cedar, chocolate, cherries. $20 a bottle.

The Zin from Green & Red is a monster, nearly 15% alcohol. I haven't tasted it yet. $23.

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 17, 2007, 09:48:38 AM
On vacation with relatives two weeks ago we stopped at Schloss Johannisberg in the Rheingau for lunch and to sample wines, and stood at the top of the very steep Würzgarten vineyard in Ürzig on the Mosel:

I bought a six-pack of the Johannisberger 2005 Erstes Gewächs (first growth), €32 a bottle. The Dr. Loosen Kabinett I found in the base exchange at Ramstein Air Base near Kaiserslautern: $15 a bottle, one of the most expensive (for this quality level) wines in Germany.

The Gundlach Bundshu is a Bordeaux (Pomerol specifically) style blend: 74% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Sauvignon, 2% Cab Franc and 1% Petit Verdot. A delicious wine redolent of cedar, chocolate, cherries. $20 a bottle.

The Zin from Green & Red is a monster, nearly 15% alcohol. I haven't tasted it yet. $23.

Sarge - WELCOME BACK!  Glad to see you posting in the wine thread - Thomas & I seemed to be having a 'personal exchange', so love to see others in the mix!  ;D

Hope that you had a great vacation - all of those wines look outstanding - wish that I could sample them - Dave  :D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan on September 17, 2007, 05:47:02 PM
Sarge - WELCOME BACK!  Glad to see you posting in the wine thread

Thanks, Dave. We had some great wine on our travels. In France we drank mostly local wines from appellations almost unknown outside the Auvergne (west of Burgundy, south of the Loire region). The wine was inexpensive, delicious, and complimented the local food well. We did splurge once on a great Chapoutier Hermitage one evening when we ordered Charleroi filets.

While exploring the Mosel we based ourselves in the Ruwer Valley and had superb dry Riesling from the top Ruwer estates: Maximin Grünhaus, Karlsmühle and Karthäuserhof-Tyrell.

Bavaria and Austria: beer all the way  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"