WINE - Red, White, or Other - Discussed Here!

Started by SonicMan46, April 07, 2007, 06:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on August 05, 2014, 04:50:37 PM

Some of the best Pinot I have had.

YEP - Davy Crockett making wine in Santa Barbara County - Susan & I have visited the area a number of times, including a stop @ the Fess Parker Winery - I've enjoy their Chardonnays & Pinot Noirs for years - Pinot Noir is probably my favorite red grape - plenty of great choices from California, but also give Oregon at try, if not already done (think that I've been pushing that state for a long time).  New Zealand is now shipping more decent (and sometimes excellent) Pinot Noirs to the USA - of course, red Burgundy is your other choice but more difficult to choose (too many!) and are now quite expensive for the better ones.  Dave :)

The new erato

Had a rather memorable wine dinner with friends last night:

SonicMan46

Quote from: The new erato on September 06, 2014, 11:10:12 PM

BOY - agree - must have been a memorable vinous night!  That '27 Vintage Port intrigues - no longer collect and age ports but the earliest I have had was from the early 1960s and the oldest about 33 years of age w/ 25 of those in my basement.  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Bogey on August 05, 2014, 04:50:37 PM

Some of the best Pinot I have had.

Coincidently, my oldest friend is coming to Germany in October (his wife is buying an Audi S4, picking it up at the factory). He said he might bring a Fess Pinot with him  8)

Ancient Barolo! Wow...I am envious.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

The 51 is my birth year.

Monfortino 41, 48, 49, 51, 58, 61 and 99 (from mag), as well as Giacosa 88, Fontanafredda 90, Bartolo Mascarello 99, Conterno Cascina Francia 2001. Jaquesson 96 Champagne (from magnum) and Philiponnat Clos de Goisses 2000 Champagne as appetizers, and the Taylor 27 to finish.

When Barolo gets to its 70th year, they look like this:

All wines were healthy and reasonably fruity, though the 48 and 51 were slightly sherried (the onset of oxydation). A good time were had by the 14 attendees.

Sergeant Rock

Recent acquisitions for the cellar from the Pfälzer vintner Philipp Kuhn in Laumersheim: the 2011 Pinot Noir Kirschgarten GG (Grosses Gewächs/Grand Cru) (€34 per bottle); 2009 Spätburgunder (Pinot Noir) "vom Kalksteinfels" (€22.80); 2009 Frühburgunder Reserve (€24.50). The Frühburgunder (Pinot Noir Précoce) is a mutation of the Pinot Noir: earlier ripening with a fuller flavor and less acidity.

Left click to enlarge images.

My oldest friend from Ohio visited us last week and gave us a 2002 Marilyn Merlot  8)  We had lunch at Schloss Johannisberg where I picked up a single bottle of the winery's 2013 Riesling GG (€39)

Sarge

The new erato

I think I have a couple of bottles of the cheap version (Grunlack) of that Johannisberg 2013. Probably from a less favored site without the GG designation, must check; it certainly wasn't that expensive. Nice to see you around, drinking well. Pretty acidic, those 13's, aren't they?

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 04, 2014, 04:10:20 AMThe Frühburgunder (Pinot Noir Précoce) is a mutation of the Pinot Noir: earlier ripening with a fuller flavor and less acidity.
Man, that sounds interesting.

The new erato

Are there any Freiburger Frühburgunder ? A tonguetwister, that one!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on November 04, 2014, 04:25:46 AM
I think I have a couple of bottles of the cheap version (Grunlack) of that Johannisberg 2013. Probably from a less favored site without the GG designation, must check; it certainly wasn't that expensive. Nice to see you around, drinking well. Pretty acidic, those 13's, aren't they?

They are, at least in Rheinhessen (I haven't had much of the new vintage from the Rheingau or the Pfalz yet). I've compared several of my favorite 2012 Rheinhessens to the new 2013s and definitely prefer the less austere 2012s.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2014, 04:27:13 AM
Man, that sounds interesting.

It is, and I've never had a bottle that wasn't delicious.

Quote from: The new erato on November 04, 2014, 04:28:52 AM
Are there any Freiburger Frühburgunder ? A tonguetwister, that one!

;D :laugh: ;D

I don't know. It's a pretty obscure varietal but there must be a few vintners cultivating it in Baden. Most of it is grown in the Ahr (where they appreciate the early ripening). We are lucky though: the best vintner in the next village (Karl May in Osthofen) makes a superb example.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 04, 2014, 04:10:20 AM
The Frühburgunder (Pinot Noir Précoce) is a mutation of the Pinot Noir: earlier ripening with a fuller flavor and less acidity.

My oldest friend from Ohio visited us last week and gave us a 2002 Marilyn Merlot  8)  We had lunch at Schloss Johannisberg where I picked up a single bottle of the winery's 2013 Riesling GG (€39)

Hey Sarge - those look like some great wines - the Pinot Noir variant intrigues me - wish I could give the wine a try!  I use to buy the Marilyn Merlot but does not seem to ship into my area anymore?

For myself (a lover of Oregon Pinot Noirs), 2012 looks like an excellent vintage so just put in a 'mixed' case order for the 3 below - likely will add some more to the cellar as the reviews come out - since many of these wines are made in 'small' amounts, I order online from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club - Dave :)

jochanaan

I cannot even begin to imagine the monetary value of all you and your friends consumed.  Four figures at least, I suppose, even in pounds or Euros! :o I've never even seen bottles of such vintage!
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 04, 2014, 04:45:32 AM
It is, and I've never had a bottle that wasn't delicious.

I don't know. It's a pretty obscure varietal but there must be a few vintners cultivating it in Baden. Most of it is grown in the Ahr (where they appreciate the early ripening). We are lucky though: the best vintner in the next village (Karl May in Osthofen) makes a superb example.
Okay, I typed "fruhburgunder" into my local wine shop's catalog search and got nothing. Any other names for it or words I should plug in?

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 04, 2014, 08:33:40 AM
Hey Sarge - those look like some great wines - the Pinot Noir variant intrigues me - wish I could give the wine a try!  I use to buy the Marilyn Merlot but does not seem to ship into my area anymore?

For myself (a lover of Oregon Pinot Noirs), 2012 looks like an excellent vintage so just put in a 'mixed' case order for the 3 below - likely will add some more to the cellar as the reviews come out - since many of these wines are made in 'small' amounts, I order online from the Oregon Pinot Noir Club - Dave :)

Dave, that Ponzi "Tavola" is a terrific bottle. I might get a couple more and hide them away for rainy days. If you get a chance look for Four Graces, owned by the Black family - for my birthday this year a friend brought back from Oregon their standard pinot, plus the separate bottlings from both of their two plots of land, and we had an A/B/C comparison tasting. All of them terrific, with one of the individual plots producing a darker, deeper, "evil twin" variation on the pinot theme.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2014, 09:02:07 AM
Okay, I typed "fruhburgunder" into my local wine shop's catalog search and got nothing. Any other names for it or words I should plug in?

Take you pick  ;D ;)

Pinot Noir Précoce is also known under the following synonyms: Augsttraube, Augustiner blau, Augustklevner, Augusttraube, Black Inly, Blaue Jakobstraube, Blauer Frühburgunder, Burgundac Crni Rani, Burgunder Früh Blau, Burgunder Früher Blauer, Champagner Schwarz, Clävner Früh, Clevner Frühburgunder, Frauentagtraube, Frühburgunder, Frühburgunder Blau, Frühe Jakobstraube, Früher Blauer Klevner, Frühreifer Schwarzer Burgunder, Frühtraube, Gospinsza, Ischia, Iskiya, Jackobstraube, Jacobi, Jacobitraube, Jacobstraube, Jacobszoeloe, Jakubske, Jakubske Skore, Juliusi Szoeloe, July Grape, Korai Kek Kisburgundi, Laurenzitraube, Laurenziustraube, Loerinc Szoeloe, Lujega, Luviana Veronese, Maddalena nera, Madeleine noire, Magdalenentraube, Magdolna Szoeloe, Möhrchen, Morillon Hatif, Morillon Noir Hatif, Morillon Parisien, Noir Précoce de Gênes, Noir Précoce de Hongrie, Noir Printannier, Petit Noir Précoce, Petit Noirin, Pineau De Juillet, Pineau Madeleine, Pino Cornij Ranij, Pino Rannii, Pinot Hatif de Rilly, Pinot Madeleine, Pinot Nero Précoce, Pinot Noir Précose, Pinot Plant de Juillet, Pinot Pommier, Pinot Précoce Noir, Pinot Rannii, Pinot Timpuriu, Plant Printanier, Précoce noir, Raisin de Juillet, Raisin de la Madelaine, Raisin de St. Jean, Raisin Précoce, Rani Modri Burgrendac, Saint Jacques, Szent Anna Szoeloe, Tidlig Bla Burgunder, Trauentagtraube, Tuannes Negres, Uva De Trivolte, Uva Di Tre Volte, Vigne D'ischia and Zherna Mushza.

Sarge

The new erato

Got the 2001 of this lined up for tonights Boeuf Bourguignon:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on November 15, 2014, 01:26:25 AM

Nice... We're also having a Grand Cru tonight: Weingut Pfeffingen's Herrenberg Riesling GG. Mrs. Rock is making roast pheasant. The Amarone in the background is on deck for tomorrow night's dinner.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: The new erato on November 15, 2014, 01:26:25 AM

Great wine & an excellent match! Dave :)