Mozart: Violin Concertos, Period Performances

Started by Jared, September 12, 2011, 02:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Marc on October 07, 2013, 12:23:51 PM
If one is into HIP, this might be a consideration.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Violin-Leertouwer-Johannes/dp/B000IHZJ0Q/

Personally, I think these are very good performances.

I once heard Leertouwer playing Mozart in concert (about 5 years ago), and left the concert hall in a refreshed mood. :)

This is wat M.D. Bromwell writes about this particular set on allmusic.com:

[....] Fans of period performances will find this collection extremely satisfying not only for the informed decisions made in its production, but the extensive detail Leertouwer puts into the liner notes to explain his decision-making process. His approach to his instrument is pure, simple, and unassuming. Fast passages are graceful and elegant and slow movements are introspective without being brooding. This is absolutely a recommended choice for anyone specifically seeking a period performance of these timeless works, or for a listener interested in an intelligent introduction to period performance practice.
On the wishlist now, thanks for mentioning this.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sammy on October 07, 2013, 08:29:01 PM
I haven't heard the Carmignola set, although I loved his playing in Bach's V & H Sonatas.  Concerning Abbado, I really don't have any opinion of him one way or the other.  What do you think of his Mozart?

Hi Don - put on the Carmignola-Abbado 2-disc set this morning and finishing the second disc now (enjoying the Sinfonia Concertante which is the last work).  Carmignola playing contrasts nicely w/ that of Julia Fischer - tempos are faster, his tone can be more edgy at times, and he shows considerable dynamic variation - Abbado blends nicely w/ the violinist and never overpowers the instrument - the orchestral sounds are generally clear and the woodwinds well heard - along w/ the older Grumiaux, my three sets seem to provide a nice spectrum of recordings for me.  A couple of reviews that might be of interest to those considering the Carmignola set: ClassicsToday & Fanfare.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

TTT after nearly 10 yrs!  Listening to my Mozart collection the last few days - just being selective, and now on the Violin Concertos - my current collection of 3 sets below (looking back on my posts here, appears that I swapped out Grumiaux for Leertouwer) - attached reviews are generally excellent w/ some minor quibbles - so current favs for these works, PI vs. MI (I have a mix), any new releases?  Dave :)

JBS

I have this on my wishlist. I don't know if it's PI.

For KV 271a, which may be by Mozart or may not be by Mozart, see here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_No._7_(Mozart)
And there's this CD from Coetzen and Goebel, which is quasi-Mozart

With "New Mozart," conductor Reinhard Goebel, the "tireless discoverer" (Rondo), once again shows what treasures continue to be discovered in the music archives: For his new project "New Mozart" with the Mozarteumorchester Salzburg, he deals with musical treasures that revolve around the music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. The first album already presents a world premiere recording: the orchestral version of the the serenade "Gran Partita" KV 361 by Mozart. The "Gran Partita" for large wind and string ensembles was arranged by the Bavarian composer and Mozart expert Franz Gleissner (1761-1818) into an orchestral version and published in 1800 as "Sinfonia concertante" Op. 91. Also worth discovering on "New Mozart" is the rarely recorded Violin Concerto in E-flat Major K. 268, which was attributed to Mozart. In the meantime, it is certain that the Violin Concerto in E-flat Major was written by an unknown Mozart contemporary, despite many musical parallels to Mozart. Whoever the true author may be, the new recording under Reinhard Goebel with violinist Mirijam Contzen as soloist is in any case a repertoire enrichment, since there is still a lack of attention for the violin concertos of Mozart's contemporaries. Whoever wrote this work during Mozart's lifetime succeeded in creating a concerto that is highly demanding in terms of playing technique and at the same time shines with a cantabile quality that is reminiscent of Mozart from afar.[/img]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 12, 2022, 10:56:54 AM
TTT after nearly 10 yrs!  Listening to my Mozart collection the last few days - just being selective, and now on the Violin Concertos - my current collection of 3 sets below (looking back on my posts here, appears that I swapped out Grumiaux for Leertouwer) - attached reviews are generally excellent w/ some minor quibbles - so current favs for these works, PI vs. MI (I have a mix), any new releases?  Dave :)

Is Fischer/Kreizberg HIP? IIRC, hardly if at all.

This, otoh, is --- and very good.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2022, 07:22:26 AM

Hi Andrei - the Fischer/Kreizberg performances are 'modern' - BUT, I was unaware and intrigued by the Koncz recording, i.e. playing on Mozart's own violin and likely the one he used to introduce these works in Salzburg! Now to me that recording is worth owning (price is right on Amazon for a 2-CD set) and the reviews are generally excellent (attachment for the interested), including a 9/9 on ClassicsToday from our own Jens!  Believe that I'll put in an order NOW!  Thanks for bringing the recording to my knowledge - I don't seem to visit the 'new releases' thread as often as I should -  :laugh:  Dave

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 13, 2022, 08:38:11 AM
Hi Andrei - the Fischer/Kreizberg performances are 'modern' - BUT, I was unaware and intrigued by the Koncz recording, i.e. playing on Mozart's own violin and likely the one he used to introduce these works in Salzburg! Now to me that recording is worth owning (price is right on Amazon for a 2-CD set) and the reviews are generally excellent (attachment for the interested), including a 9/9 on ClassicsToday from our own Jens!  Believe that I'll put in an order NOW!  Thanks for bringing the recording to my knowledge - I don't seem to visit the 'new releases' thread as often as I should -  :laugh:  Dave

Hi Dave!

The Koncz is very good, you'll certainly enjoy it. The Fischer/Kreizberg is very good, too, quite possibly my go-to set. (disclosure:Julia Fischer is my favorite contemporary female violinist). 

I think I might have close to a dozen Mozart VCs sets and am always in the market for new ones.  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on May 13, 2022, 07:22:26 AM

I seem to remember having that CD but not being impressed by it. I'll have to go look to see if I do have it or not.

Meanwhile, Amazon reminded me about this excellent one:

ETA:  I don't seem to have the Koncz. Thst would explain why I wasn't impressed by it
  ;D

San Antone

Fabio Biondi | Europe Galante (2006)

Listening now and liking it. Don't know if he's done them all, or most.

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on October 03, 2023, 12:59:54 PMFabio Biondi | Europe Galante (2006)

Listening now and liking it. Don't know if he's done them all, or most.

It seems that he's not recorded the other two concertos. But there is this:

Of course I've never heard it so I can't say how good it is.

JBS

Quote from: JBS on May 13, 2022, 08:44:52 AMI seem to remember having that CD but not being impressed by it. I'll have to go look to see if I do have it or not.

Meanwhile, Amazon reminded me about this excellent one:

ETA:  I don't seem to have the Koncz. Thst would explain why I wasn't impressed by it
  ;D

Update: since that post I have gotten the Koncz. It struck me as fine but nothing to be enthusiastic about.

San Antone

Quote from: JBS on October 03, 2023, 01:35:09 PMIt seems that he's not recorded the other two concertos. But there is this:

Of course I've never heard it so I can't say how good it is.

I generally like his recordings, but mainly the orchestral ones. My preferred set of the sonatas are the recordings by Rachel Podger and Gary Cooper.

Florestan

Has anyone heard the other Carmignola recording?