Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 22, 2007, 07:20:12 PM
Well, I'm still looking for the dratted recording.  I had in my hands yesterday and today pfft!  Vanished.  It's probably right under my nose but for some reason I don't see it.  How annoying to know that something is here, but not where I expect to find it (and 2 other recordings I listened to yesterday as well. >:( ).  It will show up and then I'll see what the label is exactly; and  make corrections to my catalog data if necessary.  In any event, I still have the music on my ipod so at least I can listen to it again.  No way to properly assess sound quality on the ipod, though.  I need the speakers for that.

JVC or Toshiba-EMI versions of DHM recordings often sound (perceptibly) finer than their original German releases.  They don't use the same catalogue nos. at all, and may actually contain different transfers of the same material. 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

I still haven't found that recording, and it's not the only one that I've mislaid.  I'll bet I put into the wrong place entirely and it will take me days to unearth it. (sigh).

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 23, 2007, 02:31:13 PM
I still haven't found that recording, and it's not the only one that I've mislaid.  I'll bet I put into the wrong place entirely and it will take me days to unearth it. (sigh).

Don't worry - I bet the Kuijken disc will be a lot easier to find than, say, RMS Titanic ;)

The Kuijkens did make several nice recordings for Denon in the 1990's, but I do not recall a JSB VC among them.... 

The DHM recording as it is currently released in Japan.   Still has the same cover photo as the German BMG "Classic Edition" which has been floating around for ages.  However (below) this is the first time I saw all Haydn London sym recordings by Kuijken collected in a box set. 

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Bunny

Neither of those are the pictures on my cd.  My cd shows a painting of a group of musicians, and I have finally located a picture of the album (at Amazon no less!).  I'm not sure what year I bought it, but it was around the time I bought my first cd player which would be ca. 1986.  And, as ever, you were correct about the label; it was EMI/DHM (Toshiba rather than Denon?).  Unfortunately, I still have not located my copies, which means I've really put them in some obscure place, the curse of a large cd collection. >:(

FideLeo

Quote from: Bunny on May 24, 2007, 06:24:00 AM
And, as ever, you were correct about the label; it was EMI/DHM (Toshiba rather than Denon?). 

Yes, EMI never teamed up with Denon in Japan (or elsewhere.) 

Bunny

Well, I finally found the cd when I went looking for some Beethoven.  Unfortunately, I'm still looking for the Beethoven which is probably mixed into Bartok or Brahms. ::)

Anyway, that is the set that I have, EMI/DHM -- confirmed. I played it again to judge the sound and it is as I remembered: very clean, cold and slightly bright.  I played it using my tube amplifier to warm it up, but it still reflects the colder aesthetic of the earliest digital days.  My recording actually dates from 1981, so I don't think it could be more "early digital" than that.  The sound also lacks a fullness that more recent recordings (HDCD) have as well.  I'm more used to the SACD cds which have more information and a correspondingly warmer and fuller sound now so I haven't given it as much play.  The performance and interpretations are excellent, though.  I don't know if remastering has been done or if the later editions include more digital information to give it better sound; if so, I might consider upgrading the recording.  I know JVC did wonders with some older recordings, but I believe those were taken from analog tapes, rather than from digital tapes.

rubio

I love the Concerto for violin and oboe, BWV 1060, and I would like to have some nice recommendations for this work. I think I will order the Suwanai CD, but are there some other ones that are superb as well. I love some beautiful oboe playing, and maybe you have some recommendations for Bach's oboe concertos as well. I haven't heard them so I wonder what you think about these concertos?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

FideLeo

Quote from: rubio on June 03, 2007, 09:29:24 AM
I love the Concerto for violin and oboe, BWV 1060, and I would like to have some nice recommendations for this work. I think I will order the Suwanai CD, but are there some other ones that are superb as well. I love some beautiful oboe playing, and maybe you have some recommendations for Bach's oboe concertos as well. I haven't heard them so I wonder what you think about these concertos?

Visit Cafe Zimmermann (Alpha) - I think they were referred to in this thread somewhere.

Que

Quote from: rubio on June 03, 2007, 09:29:24 AM
I love the Concerto for violin and oboe, BWV 1060, and I would like to have some nice recommendations for this work.
Quote from: fl.traverso on June 03, 2007, 09:46:06 AM
Visit Cafe Zimmermann (Alpha) - I think they were referred to in this thread somewhere.

The reconstructed oboe concerto BW 1060 is to be found on volume II, and beau-ti-fully done btw. :)

This came in the mail this week. And it sounds glorious.
Kuijken's Bach has always a very subtle, intimate quality about it. Very finely detailed and transparent, a perfect blending of the instrumental colours.

Always a thrilling experience to revisit a familiar work with a new recording.
Many thanks to Premont and others for the recommendation! :)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 07, 2007, 11:27:12 PM
The reconstructed oboe concerto BW 1060 is to be found on volume II, and beau-ti-fully done btw. :)

BWV1053 arr. for oboe d'amore is heard on volume III.  Patrick Beaugiraud, the soloist, provides playing
of such fluidity and nuance that it is enough to make jazz fans dizzy with joy (not to mention Baroque
fans)!

71 dB

Branderburg concertos have never been my favorite Bach. Today I listened all 6 (Capella Istropolitana/Naxos super bargain twins) and for the first time ever I realised concertos 4 & 5 are superior to the other four. Anyone else agree?

What made me listen to these concertos again? I just watched The X-Files episode 2X01 "Little Green Men" where the 1st mov. of concerto No. 2 is played. Senator Matheson plays it in his office and asks Mulder that it is. Mulder knows it's Bach's Branderburg concerto but thinks it's No. 3.

Anyway, I have re-evaluated these works: Concertos 4 & 5 are good Bach, the rest are weak.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Que on September 14, 2007, 07:19:24 AM
Always in for a little joke, are we 71 dB? ;D

I hope nobody will take the bate.....  ::) (please?)

Q

I mean weak Bach which is still strong music, of course.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

I recently got my the Brandenburg concertos with Hans-Martin Linde and the Linde Consort.
Superb! A very intimate, elegant and refined "chamber" approach. Noticeably more room for the woodwinds (flutes, recorders) and less "abrasive" than the Harnoncourt I had. Excellent and virtuosic playing in the solos. The recording from 1982 is maybe not as transparent as modern recordings but is warm, detailed and natural.
The "Musikalisches Opfer" is excellent as well - intimate, mellow.

Many thanks to the posters who recommended this to me! :)

Q

premont

Quote from: Que on October 21, 2007, 11:55:19 PM

I recently got my the Brandenburg concertos with Hans-Martin Linde and the Linde Consort.
Superb! A very intimate, elegant and refined "chamber" approach.

Nice to hear that you enjoyed them, Que.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bogey

I have some harpsichord concertos with Leonhardt Q.  How do they compare, if you know?  (I have a two disc set that is labeled Vol. II from Musical Heritage Society label)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Bogey on December 01, 2007, 08:08:49 AM
I have some harpsichord concertos with Leonhardt Q.  How do they compare, if you know?  (I have a two disc set that is labeled Vol. II from Musical Heritage Society label)

Bill, I have the complete set of those recordings from the early days of HIP (1968 !). :)
It's still a "golden oldie" from the "Northern-European" school in Bach: a strong focus on musical structure in a relatively sober style. With Hogwood we have the English softer edged orchestral sonorities, combined with the exuberance of a French harpsichordist. A feast for the ear, but a very different style.

Stylistically quite close IMO opinion to Leonhardt is the newly, still ongoing, really excellent concertos series on cpo with harpsichordist and conductor Lars Ulrik Mortensen. Two issues to date:

Q

Bogey

Just sampled the second Hogwood cd above.  Seems that Leonhardt's is a bit more pronounced and Hogwood's is a bit more blended.  I also think I like the sound more of the actual harpsichord that Leonhardt is banging on.  I will sample the Mortensen ASAP.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Sampling the Mortensen as I type.  I believe I like it more than the Hogwood, but the Leonhardt still seems to be my choice with the very little sampling I have done.  For some reason, when it comes to the harpsichord I seem to know what I enjoy immediately without too much pondering.  Do you know of any of your haunts that may have the other volume of Leonhardt I am missing Q?

FideLeo

Quote from: Bogey on December 01, 2007, 08:46:36 AM
Sampling the Mortensen as I type.  I believe I like it more than the Hogwood, but the Leonhardt still seems to be my choice with the very little sampling I have done.  For some reason, when it comes to the harpsichord I seem to know what I enjoy immediately without too much pondering.  Do you know of any of your haunts that may have the other volume of Leonhardt I am missing Q?

Leonhardt never recorded BWV1052 for Teldec so strictly there is no complete set to that effect.  Instead L's d minor was recorded earlier with Collegium Aureum (DHM), which does not sound quite the same as the one-player-per-part "Leonhart Consort."

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on December 01, 2007, 07:06:17 PM
Leonhardt never recorded BWV1052 for Teldec so strictly there is no complete set to that effect.  Instead L's d minor was recorded earlier with Collegium Aureum (DHM), which does not sound quite the same as the one-player-per-part "Leonhart Consort."

My "complete" set has the BWV 1052 included in a performance by the Concentus Musicus Wien conducted by Harnoncourt. Just two extra violinists.

Q