The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

<< < (2/142) > >>

Bunny:

--- Quote from: Que on May 18, 2007, 11:07:32 PM ---Talking with Premont (thanks for the list  :)) on the Brandenburg Concertos the other day, a thread on Bach's music for chamber orchestra seemed a good idea!

I need some new Brandenburgs - what are your favourites?

[Snip]

Put please post also favourites of the orchestral suites and solo concertos!

Q

--- End quote ---

I have so many Brandenburgs!  I have a Harnoncourt recording, but  I'm not sure whether it's the first of second recording.  I also have Savall and Le Concert des Nations, Reinhard Goebel and Musica Antiqua Köln, Trevor Pinnock and the English Concert, Christopher Hogwood and the AAM, Tafelmusik (Jeanne Lamon), Il Giardino Armonico, Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, Roy Goodman and the Brandenburg Consort, Alessandrini and Concerto Italialiano, and more. The ones that rise to the top are Jordi Savall, AAMB, Alessandrini, and the newest set which is also the most revolutionary sounding: I Barocchisti with Diego Fasolis.  Special mention should also go to Masaaki Suzuki's recording of the Overtures with the Bach Collegium Japan, another faultlessly elegant sacd/hybrid recording from him. (Not Pictured)

All of or any (except Giardino Armonico which I have great problems with) would make a good choice, but I will recommend I Barocchisti because that set is the most fun and is characterized by amazing play and the best, by far sound quality of all of them.  In 10 years, it's still going to sound fresh, and it's also a lot of fun to listen to.  It also includes the Triple concerto BWV 1044.  I enjoy this so much that I've already put in the order for Fasolis recording of the Overtures (orchestral suites)

The other Bach concerto albums that I have been giving the most play time to are those of the Café Zimmermann and Lars Ulrick Mortensen.  There are 3 volumes available of the "Concerts avec Plusieurs Instruments" by Pablo Valetti and Café Zimmermann and 2 volumes of "Harpsichord Concertos" by Mortensen and the Concerto Copenhagen.  Both sets are excellent.

Norbeone:
For the Keyboard Concertos, Gould is oustanding. His D Minor and F Minor concertos are particularly splendid.

I've heard that Perahia's concertos are great, too.

Bunny:

--- Quote from: Norbeone on May 19, 2007, 01:04:56 PM ---For the Keyboard Concertos, Gould is oustanding. His D Minor and F Minor concertos are particularly splendid.

--- End quote ---

I have Perahia's Bach concerti and they are indeed fine piano versions of these works. 

Don:

--- Quote from: Norbeone on May 19, 2007, 01:04:56 PM ---For the Keyboard Concertos, Gould is oustanding. His D Minor and F Minor concertos are particularly splendid.

--- End quote ---

Every recording from Perahia seems to get many raves, sometimes without merit.  But I do agree that his concertos discs are among his best.

Bach Man:
I love Perahia's rendition of the Bach concertos, actually a lot more than i do Gould's. They are full blooded piano versions, and the pianist use a rich palate of colours. The orchestra is quite lush and very sympathetic to the conductor/pianist. Angela Hewitt should also be recommended. Her strengths are the chamber-like textural clarity and the light ease with which she plays, and the Fazioli grand of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version