Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

I have never owned a set of Brandenburgs on modern instruments though I did hear them played live by Marriner/ASMF many years ago. The first set I bought was from the Linde Consort on cassette, since replaced by CDs. I also have Pinnock and the English Concert and Rinaldo Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano. These fulfill all my needs with the Linde Consort still my favourite.

aligreto

Quote from: Biffo on July 09, 2020, 03:11:39 AM
I have never owned a set of Brandenburgs on modern instruments though I did hear them played live by Marriner/ASMF many years ago. The first set I bought was from the Linde Consort on cassette, since replaced by CDs. I also have Pinnock and the English Concert and Rinaldo Alessandrini and Concerto Italiano. These fulfill all my needs with the Linde Consort still my favourite.

That is interesting because Linde was also my first CD purchase of the Brandenburgs and remains a constant favourite with me.

staxomega

It was Alessandrini's recordings of the Branderburgs that really re-ignited my love for these works. Weird thing about me that I don't know if others experience, finding a particularly great performance of well loved work(s) will having me digging out all my old favorites.

I would like to hear Dantone record them, I imagine he has interesting things to say.

CB45

I find Serkin's contribution to the 5th Brandenburg in the Busch performances incomparable....

premont

Quote from: aligreto on July 09, 2020, 12:49:41 AM
Yes, I would generally agree with this [with the possible exception of the Britten above  ;D] but what to do with music [not just the Brandenburgs] that is not listened to in years and is now taking up valuable shelf space? I would, in an ideal world, like to keep them for reference but unfortunately I am now getting too tight for storage.

Space is of course a problem for me too, and I have also culled some CDs, which i thought I wouldn't listen to any more. But before culling I have made a digital copy on a HD (and a safety copy on another HD). However I would never cull a recording of the Brandenburg concertos in general - or anything by Bach on period instruments.

P.S.: Coincidentally my favorite recording of the Brandenburg concertos is also the Linde version and has been since I acquired it back in the LP age.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: hvbias link=topic=981.msg1304487#msg1304487 date=1594307236,,
I would like to hear Dantone record them, I imagine he has interesting things to say.

I am convinced, that he will do this at some point. One can hear him play the harpsichord on Abbado's second recording, the one with the Mozart orchestra.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

JS Bach: Brandenburg Concertos [Musica Amphion/Belder]

Up for discussion is the Belder version of the Brandenburgs.

I have not listened to this set for many years. Listening again, I find it to be not a bad set. All of the performances are light and airy with good pace and clarity and are well performed, particularly No. 6 which is interesting. However, because I find nothing "special" in these particular performances this is another set that I am considering culling from my collection.

Daverz

Hurwitz just did a video on recorded sets of the Brandenburgs.  Some may find his general comments on Bach very annoying

https://www.youtube.com/v/R2SIv9lUYSA

In other Bach listening, I really enjoyed this Concerto in D minor BWV 596

https://www.youtube.com/v/w2upDLfG2Os

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on July 10, 2020, 01:46:21 AM
Hurwitz just did a video on recorded sets of the Brandenburgs.  Some may find his general comments on Bach very annoying

https://www.youtube.com/v/R2SIv9lUYSA

I find him annoying anyway so perhaps I will give that one a miss  ;D

Jo498

I haven't watched that one yet. Overall, I was positively surprised by his video series. True, he has an annoying voice (why do so many Americans have rather high pitched voices?) and manners but of the dozen or so I watched, I found most entertaining and interesting enough. However, I'd say that his forte is romantic through modern orchestral music and most other fields will either be mostly standard recommendations (e.g. Verdi Requiem), not very informative at all or idiosyncratic (e.g. Handel op.6 where the Musici of Montreal are his faves).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Quote from: Jo498 on July 10, 2020, 03:04:01 AM
I haven't watched that one yet. Overall, I was positively surprised by his video series. True, he has an annoying voice (why do so many Americans have rather high pitched voices?) and manners but of the dozen or so I watched, I found most entertaining and interesting enough. However, I'd say that his forte is romantic through modern orchestral music and most other fields will either be mostly standard recommendations (e.g. Verdi Requiem), not very informative at all or idiosyncratic (e.g. Handel op.6 where the Musici of Montreal are his faves).

Also, we have been forewarned....

Quote from: Daverz on July 10, 2020, 01:46:21 AM

amw

I watched it at 1.5x speed, which was slightly more amusing. His choice here (Leonhardt on Seon) is a pretty standard recommendation I think though.

Biffo

For anyone wanting an alternative to Hurwitz there is BBC Record Review Building a Library podcast available - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p05rpy47.

Sara Mohr-Pietsch is the reviewer. I hope I am not spoiling it but her top three are Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and the European Brandenburg Ensemble/Pinnock joint very close second. Leonhardt didn't even rate a mention. I listened to one concerto from each (on Spotify) - Nos 1, 4 & 5 respectively. For what it is worth I favoured Pinnock/EBE though I enjoyed the other two as well. Whether I add another set to my collection is another matter.

Que

Quote from: Biffo on July 10, 2020, 06:03:11 AM
I hope I am not spoiling it but her top three are Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and the European Brandenburg Ensemble/Pinnock joint very close second. Leonhardt didn't even rate a mention. I listened to one concerto from each (on Spotify) - Nos 1, 4 & 5 respectively. For what it is worth I favoured Pinnock/EBE though I enjoyed the other two as well. Whether I add another set to my collection is another matter.

Gardiner and Pinnock in the Top 3...
I guess if it's from a quintessentially British source like the BBC, that's hardly a surprise.  ;)

No Leonhardt Consort, Linde-Consort, Consentus Musicus Wien (Harnoncourt) or Hofkapelle München (Rüdiger Lotter)?
Reallly....   :D

As far as Hurwitz is concerned: don't take any advice on Bach from people who do not have a wider appreciation of Baroque Music!

Q

aligreto

Quote from: Biffo on July 10, 2020, 06:03:11 AM
For anyone wanting an alternative to Hurwitz there is BBC Record Review Building a Library podcast available - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p05rpy47.

Sara Mohr-Pietsch is the reviewer. I hope I am not spoiling it but her top three are Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists with the Freiburg Baroque Orchestra and the European Brandenburg Ensemble/Pinnock joint very close second. Leonhardt didn't even rate a mention. I listened to one concerto from each (on Spotify) - Nos 1, 4 & 5 respectively. For what it is worth I favoured Pinnock/EBE though I enjoyed the other two as well. Whether I add another set to my collection is another matter.

As much as I greatly admire Gardiner in Bach, particularly in the vocal music with his wonderful Monteverdi choir, his set of Brandenburgs, which I own, would not come close to the top for me. Each to his own taste, which I suppose what this whole forum is about.

aligreto

Quote from: Que on July 10, 2020, 06:15:53 AM

As far as Hurwitz is concerned: don't take any advice on Bach from people who do not have a wider appreciation of Baroque Music!

Q

I would have to agree with that piece of advice.

Biffo

Quote from: Que on July 10, 2020, 06:15:53 AM
Gardiner and Pinnock in the Top 3...
I guess if it's from a quintessentially British source like the BBC, that's hardly a surprise.  ;)

No Leonhardt Consort, Linde-Consort, Consentus Musicus Wien (Harnoncourt) or Hofkapelle München (Rüdiger Lotter)?
Reallly....   :D

Q

This is the standard (mandatory?) gripe in this forum. S M-P surveyed a wide range of options including Harnoncourt and Alessandrini. One-and-a-half of the top three were non-British. Few of the older recordings found favour, including Marriner/ASMF.

Personally I found it difficult to chose between Pinnock and Freiburg, if I had listened to different concerti it might have come out different.

JBS

My top two would be Gardiner and Goebel. Not sure who I would name as the third.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on July 10, 2020, 08:59:34 AM
My top two would be Gardiner and Goebel. Not sure who I would name as the third.

Goebel is one of my favourite artists, along with Savall, but mainly in pre-Bach music; both got fleeting mentions in the review; I haven't heard either in the Brandenburgs.

milk

The Zimmerman Brandenburgs are the best-sounding recordings that I've heard. Alessandro is good.