Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selig

milk

Quote from: Selig on October 21, 2021, 05:03:49 AM
But have you heard Savall?  :)
you know, I don't think I have. I'll look into it. Has he only done it once?

premont

Quote from: milk on October 22, 2021, 12:39:45 AM
you know, I don't think I have. I'll look into it. Has he only done it once?

Yes, only once.

Rating is difficult and often doesn't do the recordings justice - too much subjectivity.

The number of recordings I know of the Brandenburgs is about 200.
Zimmermann and Savall would IMO be among top 20. But that's me.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

Quote from: milk on October 22, 2021, 12:39:45 AM
you know, I don't think I have. I'll look into it.

I thought of it because you previously mentioned soundscape/texture as being a potentially deciding factor, and Savall has stellar sonics, directed toward the low end. He also did the Ouvertures around the same time and they may be just as recommendable.

aukhawk

I find the sound on Savall's Brandenburgs to be a bit awful.  Don't get me wrong, I admire Savall the musician, and I admire the high production values of the AliaVox recordings.  And his Ouvertures sound a lot better, to me.  Just in the Brandenburgs they have taken the low-end emphasis a step too far.

milk

I liked what I heard in the fifth concerto of Savall, the only one I listened to. I have to listen again but the separation of things, the counterpoint and interaction if voices...it's very alive.

milk

I can't remember how often Dunedin came up here but I decided to listen to it because there latest cantatas album is so awesome. I think their Brandenburgs are quire good. They're not feverish. Maybe they're elegant. Very solid confident elegant performances. They sound quite good too.

I agree with Kirk on this 100%
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Dec13/Bach_Brandenburgs_CKD430.htm

SonicMan46

Violin Concertos - well not a lot of discussion of these 'orchestral' works here going back over the last 6 years or so the thread - my current collection are the first three shown below - listened to portions today and still enjoy Wallfisch and Fischer - Suwanai I liked but mixed reviews in the attachment w/ rather unflattering comments from BBC Magazine, which I disagree - her playing at times is more of a legato style - BUT thought that I could add another recording, and put in an order for a 'used' copy of Bernardini on the Amazon MP; my other option was Faust on 2 CDs w/ a lot of extra stuff that did not interest me but the recording has been well received (and discussed in this thread not too long ago).  Dave :)

Selig

I like them swift and HIP, my preference has to be...

aukhawk

I heartily endorse the recommendation for Carmignola.

My own personal favourite is Debretzeni:

Bach Violin Concertos - Kati Debretzeni, J E Gardiner

Closely followed by Carmignola and Faust:

Bach Violin Concertos and other works - Isabelle Faust, AAMB

Personally I wouldn't want any set that didn't include the D minor 'reconstructed' BWV 1052 - which all three of the above-mentioned do.  In its violin form, arguably the finest concerto that Bach did (or didn't) write.

SonicMan46

Quote from: milk on November 30, 2021, 05:57:04 AM
I can't remember how often Dunedin came up here but I decided to listen to it because there latest cantatas album is so awesome. I think their Brandenburgs are quire good. They're not feverish. Maybe they're elegant. Very solid confident elegant performances. They sound quite good too.

I agree with Kirk on this 100%
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Dec13/Bach_Brandenburgs_CKD430.htm

Well, I've not purchased a Brandenburg recording in a while (believe Suzuki w/ the Orchestral Suites my last one) - so enjoyed the discussion here and in reading reviews on Butt and his period instrument gang - small number of players used and the unusual low tuning at 392 Hz - arrived today and listening now - really enjoying (the brass in the early concertos can be a little ear piercing but a minor issue, for me) - decided to look at reviews again and started w/ Fanfare, done by Jerry Dubins (BAD CHOICE!) - he slammed the recording, then looked up 4 others, ALL universally excellent, even a rare 5* rating from Andrew Clements of the Guardian; so Jerry deserves the corner of the classroom w/ a dunce cap, me thinks - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)