The Music Room > Great Recordings and Reviews

Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

<< < (141/143) > >>

Selig:

--- Quote from: milk on October 20, 2021, 06:37:06 AM ---Zimmermann is my favorite. It just sounds so awesome.

--- End quote ---

But have you heard Savall?  :)

milk:

--- Quote from: Selig on October 21, 2021, 05:03:49 AM ---But have you heard Savall?  :)

--- End quote ---
you know, I don’t think I have. I’ll look into it. Has he only done it once?

(: premont :):

--- Quote from: milk on October 22, 2021, 12:39:45 AM --- you know, I don’t think I have. I’ll look into it. Has he only done it once?

--- End quote ---

Yes, only once.

Rating is difficult and often doesn't do the recordings justice - too much subjectivity.

The number of recordings I know of the Brandenburgs is about 200.
Zimmermann and Savall would IMO be among top 20. But that's me.

Selig:

--- Quote from: milk on October 22, 2021, 12:39:45 AM --- you know, I don’t think I have. I’ll look into it.

--- End quote ---

I thought of it because you previously mentioned soundscape/texture as being a potentially deciding factor, and Savall has stellar sonics, directed toward the low end. He also did the Ouvertures around the same time and they may be just as recommendable.

aukhawk:
I find the sound on Savall's Brandenburgs to be a bit awful.  Don't get me wrong, I admire Savall the musician, and I admire the high production values of the AliaVox recordings.  And his Ouvertures sound a lot better, to me.  Just in the Brandenburgs they have taken the low-end emphasis a step too far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version