Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on November 27, 2016, 01:24:06 AM
Hi HIPster,
Whether you should get yet another Brandenburgs,  is up to you... :)
I am usually not do keen on multiple recordings, but was looking for a new recording after it had been a long time I lived with Harnoncourt II and wanted to give myself an update on what was available. During those years I sometimes considered other recordings like Kuijken I (underpowered) or Alessandrini  (definitely Italianate). I did keep Linde Consort, which I like very much. I also love Café Zimmermann but those are a special case.

So like a year ago I listened to every sample and excerpt available of old and new recordings.
The process of comparison  was instructive and surprising. I would have bet a considerable sum on a choice for Concerto Köln, the Freiburgers or Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin. With a choice like that, how can you go wrong? ::) Well the Freiburgers were on CD definitely a let down... I'm not much into the pumped up style of the drilled Akademie. The Concerto Köln fared best but didn't quite enthrall me, a bit of "going through the motions"? Excellent musicianship, don't get me wrong. Of the Oldies I really liked Goebel, but too dated and too similar an approach to Linde to justify the purchase. I also was quite taken by the charming performance, however dated, by Leonhardt et al on SEON.

So the final choice fell on a dark horse pointed out by premont Gordo: Rüdiger Lotter and his Hofkapelle München. New kids on the block to keep an eye on. Why? The perfomances are a breath of fresh air: spontaneous, very energetic like Harnoncourt and Savall but remarkably balanced, never over the top. Still: probably not for the fainthearted.... For those looking for a "pretty" version, Kuijken II is a perfect match. The sound of the Hofkapelle is very clear and natural. Another point is that I'm not always into Bach in "foreign" accents - this is profoundly idiomatic. I also like how they treat each concerto very much according to its own individual character - some amazing instrumental solos to be heard.

Anyway, perhaps just sample and see if it gives off a vibe.... :)

Q

Have you had the chance to hear Lotter playing the violin music?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

HIPster

Thanks for your response Que and also for your efforts to keep this all organized and in one place; some worthy choices here!  ;)

How about this release from the Die Freitagsakademie?
[asin]B008BBTVGO[/asin]

Worth reading amazon reviewer Stephen Midgeley's impressions here (he digs it, in short).  I need to play this one again; I initially was able to stream it through amazon prime and couldn't really formulate much of an impression on the musical performance.  This has to be one of the most unique Brandenburg Concerto programs available! 

Who else has heard this account?
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Que

Quote from: HIPster on November 27, 2016, 06:27:53 AM
Thanks for your response Que and also for your efforts to keep this all organized and in one place; some worthy choices here!  ;)

How about this release from the Die Freitasakademie?
[asin]B008BBTVGO[/asin]

Worth reading amazon reviewer Stephen Midgeley's impressions here (he digs it, in short).  I need to play this one again; I initially was able to stream it through amazon prime and couldn't really formulate much of an impression on the musical performance.  This has to be one of the most unique Brandenburg Concerto programs available! 

Intersting find! Talking about dark horses...  :D
I will give it a listen, but honestly I expect the sound effects to be totally off puting.

Q

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on November 27, 2016, 03:16:17 AM
I guess subconsciously I'm inclined to attribute any Bach related recommendation to premont... ;)

Long time no see, my friend ! :)
Keep those excellent recommendations coming.... :D

Q

I think I will enjoy my 15 minutes of fame. It's being increasingly hard to recommend something (anything) here.  ;)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

prémont

Quote from: HIPster on November 27, 2016, 06:27:53 AM

How about this release from the Die Freitagsakademie?
[asin]B008BBTVGO[/asin]

I consider this recording a bad joke. What you hear is the soundtrack to some (apparently imaginary) movie, and you get the music mixed up with all kinds of naturally occurring sounds, a special example of concrete music. To mention one thing: In the beginning you approach Köthen from a distance, so you can not hear the first half of the first movement of concerto no. one. You only get aware of it gradully in the sound picture. What musical purpose does this serve? The musical playing, when audible, seems not that bad, but it is difficult to evaluate under these circumstances.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aukhawk

prémont

Quote from: Que on November 27, 2016, 03:16:17 AM
I guess subconsciously I'm inclined to attribute any Bach related recommendation to premont... ;)

I shall do my best to live up to this, but reserve the right to also recommend things which are not by Bach.

;) :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

HIPster

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Pat B

I just listened to BWV 1065, the quadruple harpsichord concerto after Vivaldi. Leonhardt and friends on Das Alte Werk. Slowish in the first movement, but it's a dynamic and incredibly intense performance of music that I don't normally think of as particularly intense. The various harpsichords are more distinct than usual, via registration and placement. Remarkable.

This set deserves to be reissued (and put on spotify).

Que

Quote from: Pat B on September 26, 2017, 01:42:41 PM
I just listened to BWV 1065, the quadruple harpsichord concerto after Vivaldi. Leonhardt and friends on Das Alte Werk. Slowish in the first movement, but it's a dynamic and incredibly intense performance of music that I don't normally think of as particularly intense. The various harpsichords are more distinct than usual, via registration and placement. Remarkable.

This set deserves to be reissued (and put on spotify).

The Leonhardt et al set is, despite the technically outdated recordings, extremely good.
Before my encounter with Moroney et al (Plectra), it used to be my go-to set. :)

No idea why is has been OOP for so long? ::)

Q

Pat B

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2017, 10:15:03 PM
The Leonhardt et al set is, despite the technically outdated recordings, extremely good.
Before my encounter with Moroney et al (Plectra), it used to be my go-to set. :)

Hmm. There was something I about the Moroney set that turned me off, but I can't remember what it was, and it's not in my notes. I should re-spin it.

Que

Quote from: Pat B on September 28, 2017, 07:47:02 AM
Hmm. There was something I about the Moroney set that turned me off, but I can't remember what it was, and it's not in my notes. I should re-spin it.

I have to add that the two performances are quite different in style & approach.

Q

Muse Wanderer

Listening to the Brandenburgs as I type...

My favourite is the Jordi Savall but this Masaaki Suzuki version is a wonderful listen.

The Savall is more muscular with an exceptional darker tone and instrumental timbre. The dynamics are staggering with well seasoned fiery players who play from the heart. There is a force in the music that propels the concertos with such intensity. The 6th concerto is the real cherry on the cake - holy moly what a roller coaster. Astounding!

The Suzuki is exceptionally well recorded - BIS is renowned for their engineering. The Bach Collegium Japan have a brighter tone as they tend to favour A=460Hz as exemplified by their Bach cantata collection I love. The playing is exact, precise and at times too perfect. Suzuki manages to impart an emotionally engaging and sublime presentation of these works. The staging, imaging and resolution from my speakers is fantastic.

I may have found my ying and yang.

Savall and Suzuki, the dark and bright, the black and white

... so complementary, to die for versions of these unique concertos...

Marc

Quote from: Que on September 26, 2017, 10:15:03 PM

Q

Once upon a long ago, it was reissued by Brilliant Classics.
I bought it at a throw-away-price in one of the (in)famous Kruidvat shops.

Right now, it's (a.o) available here:

https://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Brandenburg-Concertos/dp/B00SRVBVOS/?tag=goodmusicguideco

prémont

Quote from: Marc on December 10, 2017, 09:34:24 PM

Above Que writes about Moroney's recording of the harpsichord concertos, not the Brandenburgs. There has never been any recording of the Brandenburgs with Moroney.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 10, 2017, 09:59:20 PM
Above Que writes about Moroney's recording of the harpsichord concertos, not the Brandenburgs. There has never been any recording of the Brandenburgs with Moroney.

Oops, early Monday morning, I guess.
I need new glasses...

I want to stress though, that Moroney should be punished severely for not recording the Brandenburgs.

milk

For brandenburgs, the Zimmerman series is good too, as is Alessandrini. What do people think of I Barocchisti/Diego Fasolis?

prémont

Quote from: milk on December 10, 2017, 10:27:27 PM
For brandenburgs, the Zimmerman series is good too, as is Alessandrini. What do people think of I Barocchisti/Diego Fasolis?

Rushed bordering the hectic.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Marc

Quote from: milk on December 10, 2017, 10:27:27 PM

Don't know them all, but what I do know (or do I?) is that there are dozens of good recordings of the Brandenburgs, and only a few disappointments (if any).
My favs are (probably) Musica Antiqua Köln (Goebel), La Stravaganza Hamburg (Rampe) and the above by nutcase Marc mentioned Leonhardt.

Que

Quote from: Marc on December 10, 2017, 09:34:24 PM

Right now, it's (a.o) available here:

https://www.amazon.com/J-S-Bach-Brandenburg-Concertos/dp/B00SRVBVOS/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Looks good!  :) But yes, I was referring to Leonhardt Consort's harpsichord concertos recordings....

My bad, since it is rather confusing all in the same thread. :P

My choice for an update on the Brandenburgs (after Harnoncourt II) has been a dark horse, recommended by Gordo:

[asin]B00EHYYYR0[/asin]
Fits my preferences perfectly. :) But, like the conceros set on Plectra, not for the faint-hearted!  ;)

Q