Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccar

"Technique, wonderful sound ... all of this is sometimes astonishing – but it is not enough."

Pau Casals is always remembered as one of the most brilliant cellists in the musical history. But he is probably not so well known as an inspiring conductor, most particularly in Bach. For me, his Marlboro recordings of the Brandenburg Concerts are one of the most moving examples of his vision as musician and interpreter. Casals gives each movement in a continuous elan, with such intensity in the phrasing and intelligence for the orchestral colors that we feel as if he really brings out some kind of vital flame from that magical music. 

With the Marlboro Festival Orchestra Pau Casals recorded the 6 Brandenburg Concertos in 1964 and the 4 Orchestral Suites in 1966. There are also some earlier recordings from the Prades Festival - the 6 Brandenburg Concertos and the first 2 Orchestral Suites in 1950; and the Brandenburgs No.3 and No.4 in 1953. 

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Oldnslow on December 04, 2010, 04:50:17 PM
I have the recent Bach suites by the Concerto Koln on Berlin Classics, and find it excellent. I would call it middle of the road HIP, which is just fine by me. Along with  Ronaldo Alissindrini's  Concerto Italian Bradenburgs on Naive, they are two superb sets of these great pieces.

Ronaldo

Rinaldo

;D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: premont on December 04, 2010, 01:49:22 PM
I can supply you with information about the names of the players in the Bach Suites if you want.

Thanks, Premont; I will recall it if I purchase that set.  :)

Oldnslow

Ronaldo is Rinaldo's younger brother---I always get them mixed up.

Antoine Marchand

czgirb

Quote from: val on May 19, 2007, 03:40:40 AM
In the Brandenburg Concertos I like Goebel, but also Leonhardt, more detailed, almost in a chamber music perspective.
For me ... I preferred Leonhart's SEON ... owned the LPs Box Set, it includes a copy of hand-writing transcription in the package ... and I'm very ... very ... proud to owned it!

Coopmv

Quote from: czgirb on December 20, 2010, 07:13:06 PM
For me ... I preferred Leonhart's SEON ... owned the LPs Box Set, it includes a copy of hand-writing transcription in the package ... and I'm very ... very ... proud to owned it!

They are all in this box ...

czgirb

Quote from: Coopmv on December 20, 2010, 07:54:21 PM
They are all in this box ...

Oh yeah ??? What the lucky CDs owner is.
Grab it, while its able to be grab.
It's a treasure.

Coopmv

Quote from: czgirb on December 22, 2010, 03:50:43 PM
Oh yeah ??? What the lucky CDs owner is.
Grab it, while its able to be grab.
It's a treasure.

I bought this set about a month ago at a great price.  The set helps fill in same gaps in my Leonhardt collection ...

czgirb

Quote from: Coopmv on December 22, 2010, 03:59:27 PM
I bought this set about a month ago at a great price.  The set helps fill in same gaps in my Leonhardt collection ...

Congratulation!

SonicMan46

So, this thread has been going on for 3+ years - my interest is now mainly a combo box of the Brandenburgs & Orchestral Suites; now I have 2-3 sets of both of these works, but would like to pick up the group's highest recommendation of those two compositions - so at present and w/ new combo releases, what are some of the current suggestions - thanks all -  ;D 

PaulSC

Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki on BIS is hard to beat IMO
(Streaming at naxos.com if that's any use to you...)

Bulldog

Quote from: PaulSC on December 23, 2010, 05:09:31 PM
Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki on BIS is hard to beat IMO
(Streaming at naxos.com if that's any use to you...)

Yes, that's a great one.  I'm also fond of the Pinnock combo. on Archiv Produktion (3cds).  Actually, I'm not aware of any other PI sets just having the Brandenburgs and the Orch. Suites.  I love Goebel but he's only available on a much larger set (about 8 discs).

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on December 23, 2010, 09:09:30 PM
Actually, I'm not aware of any other PI sets just having the Brandenburgs and the Orch. Suites.

It also exists this 4-CD set on Virgin Classics:

The Brandenburgs are performed by the Taverner Players and the Orchestral Suites by the Boston Early Music Festival Orchestra.

That said, I would vote Suzuki. That set includes his superb new (second) recording of the Brandenburgs, including some beauties like the use of cellos da spalla. The orchestral suites -older than the Brandenburgs- are also excellent.  :)

early grey

As a contrast to these modern recordings, you can hear some vintage performances of Bach  by following the "Transcriptions of 78s" thread, which as a new member, I am proud to present to you.

Clever Hans

Quote from: Bulldog on December 23, 2010, 09:09:30 PM
Yes, that's a great one.  I'm also fond of the Pinnock combo. on Archiv Produktion (3cds).  Actually, I'm not aware of any other PI sets just having the Brandenburgs and the Orch. Suites.  I love Goebel but he's only available on a much larger set (about 8 discs).

The Suzuki combo is great, but I would vote the idiomatic Goebel because it's only 5 dollars more and the chamber music performances are amazing. Probably the best Bach set out there.

SonicMan46

Thanks all for the comments, especially on the Suzuki box - I perused this thread closely yesterday and there are plenty of offerings w/ superlative comments; the Suzuki fills my desires for the Brandburgs/Orchestral Suites and the 3 discs are being offered at a good price on the Amazon Marketplace.

The 8-disc Goebel set w/ MAK (a group that I do love - actually heard them at La Scala in Milan back in 1996) is certainly appealing, but I already own multiple recordings of these other works.  Now that does not exclude obtaining another Brandenburg set by one of the Italian groups, if the price is right - will take a look!  :D

Que

Will be issued early January in Europe!  :)

Orchestersuite Nr. 3 D-Dur BWV 1068
Cembalokonzert f-moll BWV 1056
Brandenburgisches Konzert Nr. 6 B-Dur BWV 1051
Konzert für 3 Cembali & Streicher d-moll BWV 1063

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on December 25, 2010, 12:15:22 AM
Will be issued early January in Europe!  :)

Orchestersuite Nr. 3 D-Dur BWV 1068
Cembalokonzert f-moll BWV 1056
Brandenburgisches Konzert Nr. 6 B-Dur BWV 1051
Konzert für 3 Cembali & Streicher d-moll BWV 1063

Q

Would want to hear your review before I spring for another recording of the Brandenburg Concertos.  Having already had over 30 versions of the Brandenburg Concertos, there are no reasons for me to spring for another one unless it has something special to offer ...

Merry Christmas, Q.