Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 26, 2011, 11:23:42 PM
Speaking of the Plectra recording...

.[asin]B00285QBXK[/asin]

This is all I could ever want for - a dream come true - it is as if the Leonhardt Consort's old (1968! :o) Teldec set has been re-recorded, but then in better sound (though nor recorded in the studio), with better sounding instruments and taking the developments in HIP-pratices of the 4 decades that lie in between on board: more elaborate variation in phrasing, some embellishments here and there. What the sets share is the ultra-direct, penetrating approach in a very small setting: only 5 strings and two recorders are used to join in the harpsichords. And a catching joie de vivre, when the listener becomes used to the in your-face-quality of the performance and recording. 1st time listeners that are used to more "plush" Bach, might be taken aback by the seemingly barren and dead-earnest, almost mechanical sounding musical image.
Harpsichords used: Nicolas Dumont, Paris, 1707; Johannes Ruckers, Antwerp, 1635; an anonymous Spanish instrument, formerly owned by Rafael Puyana, ca. 1700/25; an Italian harpsichord of the late 16th/early 17 century, ascribed to Domenico of Pessaro and also owned by Rafael Puyana.

A more than worthy successor the the Leonhardt set - pretty definitive, for me at least! :)

A luke-warm ("interesting release, worth hearing") Fanfare review HERE.

It seems that various reviewers respond quite differently: "a very rewarding set and the relaxed, informal style of the music-making seems very close to what Bach probably heard when he and his sons originally played these concertos." (review on allmusic)

Q

Time for a second listen for me ...    ;)

SonicMan46

Just received the American Record Guide, Jan-Feb 2012 issue - there was a rather pompous and self-righteous review by the editor Mr. Vroon commenting on the 4-CD set below of a number of Bach's orchestral works.

Despite the derogatory jives about the 'period movement', the set is of interest to me after finding other reviews on the web - I'm unfamiliar w/ these performances but would appreciate any comments from those in the know -  :)  Dave

Opus106

Dave, have you attached any file(s) with your previous post? I see a paper clip icon on top of your post, but I don't see any attachments.
Regards,
Navneeth

milk

Yes! 100% agree! A must-have disc!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on December 29, 2011, 07:08:39 AM
Dave, have you attached any file(s) with your previous post? I see a paper clip icon on top of your post, but I don't see any attachments.

Hi Navneeth - I attempted an attachment (just a text file from Notepad) but comes in as a *.php - let me try again (the file in the attachment window is listed as 'Bach_ARG_Vroon.txt) - Dave :)

milk

Quote from: karlhenning on December 29, 2011, 07:50:39 AM
Which of the three? ; )
"set/box/album/download/recording/release"

Opus106

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 29, 2011, 08:21:17 AM
Hi Navneeth - I attempted an attachment (just a text file from Notepad) but comes in as a *.php - let me try again (the file in the attachment window is listed as 'Bach_ARG_Vroon.txt) - Dave :)

Thanks, Dave. I have it now. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 29, 2011, 06:51:46 AM
Just received the American Record Guide, Jan-Feb 2012 issue - there was a rather pompous and self-righteous review by the editor Mr. Vroon commenting on the 4-CD set below of a number of Bach's orchestral works.

Despite the derogatory jives about the 'period movement', the set is of interest to me after finding other reviews on the web - I'm unfamiliar w/ these performances but would appreciate any comments from those in the know -  :)  Dave

I will pass on this set ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on January 01, 2012, 12:19:34 PM
I will pass on this set ...

Hi Stuart - that was my feeling also; unless others respond in the positive?  Dave :)

Geo Dude

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on December 26, 2011, 11:23:42 PM
Speaking of the Plectra recording...

.[asin]B00285QBXK[/asin]

This is all I could ever want for - a dream come true - it is as if the Leonhardt Consort's old (1968! :o) Teldec set has been re-recorded, but then in better sound (though nor recorded in the studio), with better sounding instruments and taking the developments in HIP-pratices of the 4 decades that lie in between on board: more elaborate variation in phrasing, some embellishments here and there. What the sets share is the ultra-direct, penetrating approach in a very small setting: only 5 strings and two recorders are used to join in the harpsichords. And a catching joie de vivre, when the listener becomes used to the in your-face-quality of the performance and recording. 1st time listeners that are used to more "plush" Bach, might be taken aback by the seemingly barren and dead-earnest, almost mechanical sounding musical image.
Harpsichords used: Nicolas Dumont, Paris, 1707; Johannes Ruckers, Antwerp, 1635; an anonymous Spanish instrument, formerly owned by Rafael Puyana, ca. 1700/25; an Italian harpsichord of the late 16th/early 17 century, ascribed to Domenico of Pessaro and also owned by Rafael Puyana.

A more than worthy successor the the Leonhardt set - pretty definitive, for me at least! :)

I dug up this thread looking to comment on this recording, and I must say that this post saved me some typing.  I wholeheartedly agree about the greatness of this set!

Que

What's the word on this newcomer? :) Sounds pretty interesting to me.

[asin]B005IQXTVS[/asin]

Q

Antoine Marchand

As these Orchestral Suites (and their early/alternative versions) have been intensely explored by the discography in recent years, maybe an accurate reply would require to comment some four versions at the same time:

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Discobole on February 23, 2012, 03:21:15 AM
Don't forget, among recent recordings, that Café Zimmermann included the Suites in their complete set of the "Concerts avec plusieurs instruments"...

Oh, yes, this set includes the Orchestral Suites, but it began to be recorded and released more than ten years ago...

jlaurson

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 23, 2012, 03:16:02 AM
As these Orchestral Suites (and their early/alternative versions) have been intensely explored by the discography in the last years, maybe an accurate reply would require to comment some four versions at the same time:

QuoteJohn Elliot Gardiner recorded the Suites in 1983 (has it already been thirty years?!) for Erato. The playing of the English Baroque Soloists is very good even by today's standards... in itself astonishing, given how other perfectly reputable HIP ensembles sometimes sounded at the time. I reviewed Monica Hugget's recording on Avie (with the fullest, richest sound of this lot) last year; a wonderful recording notable for replacing the flute in the second Suite with an oboe, making due without trumpets and timpani, and fitting all four Suites onto one disc by skipping repeats in the Overtures. The 1996 recording of the Academy for Ancient Music Berlin (AAMB) has been my standard against which to measure all newcomers in this less-crowded-than-might-be-expected field and it remains a consistently beautifully played performance without kinks or extremes.

Musings on the Hugget here: http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=630
On the Concerto Cologne here: http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=2565 (sound samples unfortunately defunct)
Can't muster a review of the newcomer yet. But obviously attractive. Looks like the Suites are finally getting their attention... they seem to have been lagging behind the Brandenburgs considerably, as far as quantity of good available recordings were concerned.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: jlaurson on February 23, 2012, 03:32:34 AM
Musings on the Hugget here: http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=630
On the Concerto Cologne here: http://www.weta.org/oldfmblog/?p=2565 (sound samples unfortunately defunct)
Can't muster a review of the newcomer yet. But obviously attractive. Looks like the Suites are finally getting their attention... they seem to have been lagging behind the Brandenburgs considerably, as far as quantity of good available recordings were concerned.

Just the last week, I was re-listening to the Orchestral Suites by MAK and, I must say, I was very pleased with that version, even in matter of tempi. It's as it had been recorded yesterday. Then I thought to give another chance to Fasolis, but I was afraid.  ;D

prémont

Quote from: jlaurson on February 23, 2012, 03:32:34 AM
. Looks like the Suites are finally getting their attention... they seem to have been lagging behind the Brandenburgs considerably, as far as quantity of good available recordings were concerned.

Oh no, there have been lots of fine HIP recordings of the suites during the years:

Harnoncourt 1, Harnoncourt 2, Linde Consort, Pinnock 1, Pinnock 2, Koopman 1, Koopman 2, Hogwood, Goebel, Parrott, Kuijken, Goodman, Gardiner, Haselböck, AAM Berlin, Pickett, Brüggen, Suzuki, Rampe, Pearlman among others.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Geo Dude

A question regarding Fasolis's recording of the Brandenburg Concertos:  Is this a small ensemble recording like Egarr's  or is it a larger ensemble like many previous recordings?

Antoine Marchand

(On Fasolis) Small ensemble. The scoring is closely followed. I think his ripieno is a bit more populated than Egarr's.

Scion7

For the Orchestral Suites,  I've been quite happy with this one:

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."