Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

And I have a few downloads of the Brandenburg/Harpsichord/Violin concerti grossi,
but these vinyl sets are the ones regularly played in my home:

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Geo Dude

Any recommendations on period instrument recordings of the violin and oboe concertos?  Small ensembles are preferred.

prémont

Quote from: Discobole on March 03, 2012, 02:16:27 PM
I'm not sure if you're speaking about the concerto BWV 1060R (as you used the plural, and that concerto is a reconstruction from a concerto for 2 harpsichords) but if it is the case I would recommend the Café Zimmermann recording, even more since you asked for small ensembles (better to avoid Collegium Aureum with Leonhardt then ;D )

The Cafe Zimmermann recording seconded.

As to the DHM recording you refer to: To my knowledge Leonhardt has nothing to do with this recording of BWV 1060R, which is led by Franz Josef Maier. The harpsichord continuo player is Bob van Asperen, who also played harpsichord solo in BWV 1044 in the original release (of BWV 1060R and BWV 1044 together on one LP) - this was at least what the LP label said. Later these two concertos were released on CD with the BWV 1052 with Leonhardt as a filler.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 03, 2012, 02:34:26 PM
The Cafe Zimmermann recording seconded.

As to the DHM recording you refer to: To my knowledge Leonhardt has nothing to do with this recording of BWV 1060R, which is led by Franz Josef Maier. The harpsichord continuo player is Bob van Asperen, who also played harpsichord solo in BWV 1044 in the original release (of BWV 1060R and BWV 1044 together on one LP) - this was at least what the LP label said. Later these two concertos were released on CD with the BWV 1052 with Leonhardt as a filler.

Not to mention the fact that maybe BWV 1053, BWV 1055 or BWV 1059 (fragment) were also originally oboe/oboe d'amore concerti.

Additionally, I think that the Collegium Aureum's disc shouldn't be easily discarded because it's a great example of Franz Joseph Maier's ensemble, with some amazing soloists.

I think some fine options for the reconstructed oboe concerti would be:

[asin]B000A1ILJG[/asin]

... small ensemble, no-nonsense performance and the best Baroque oboist ever: Marcel Ponseele. I also like this one:

But it only includes BWV 1060R.

And this one played on modern instruments, but totally HIP:

Geo Dude

Quote from: Discobole on March 03, 2012, 02:16:27 PM
I'm not sure if you're speaking about the concerto BWV 1060R (as you used the plural, and that concerto is a reconstruction from a concerto for 2 harpsichords) but if it is the case I would recommend the Café Zimmermann recording, even more since you asked for small ensembles (better to avoid Collegium Aureum with Leonhardt then ;D )

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was looking for the concertos for oboe and the concertos for violin.  I'll look into the disks that have been recorded.

Coopmv

Quote from: Discobole on March 03, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
OK, so I can complete what has already been said about reconstructions. On the 2 violin concertos, and the concerto for two violins, there are many recordings but actually a few only are really convincing, I always found it quite disturbing that these concertos are not as well played than their harpsichord transcriptions for example. So I would recommend Huggett & Bury with Koopman on Erato, and Manze & Podger on HM. But even these recordings are not entirely satisfactory for me, I'm still waiting a new one to fall for...
Café Zimmermann would of course be another solution, but violin concertos are not the strongest of their recordings (anyway, everyone MUST have this box, so you'll decide by yourself ;) )

But even if you love HIP performances, and can't stand the others, there is one recording of the double concerto you can't miss, by Heifetz and Erick Friedman. Seriously, why avoid such a pleasure ?

I do not have the recording by Heifetz and Erick Friedman but do have the other two HIP recordings.  Among the non-HIP recordings, the one by Mutter and Accardo is quite ooutstanding IMO ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Discobole on March 03, 2012, 03:55:52 PM
On the 2 violin concertos, and the concerto for two violins, there are many recordings but actually a few only are really convincing,

Yes, it's quite curious, indeed... I will maybe listen to Kuijken/ van Dael tonight.  :)

[asin]B000026NHZ[/asin]

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 03, 2012, 04:18:53 PM
Yes, it's quite curious, indeed... I will maybe listen to Kuijken/ van Dael tonight.  :)

[asin]B000026NHZ[/asin]

The recording by Kuijken is my winner! :) Still going strong, we might say. Koopman/Huggett is OK, avoid Manze/Podger...

Another vote for Cafe Zimmerann's recording of the oboe concertos BTW. :)

Q

Antoine Marchand

This is another attractive option for the violin concertos and several reconstructions of lost violin concertos, including the concerto for violin and oboe:

[asin]B00000J2PS[/asin]

Its price is unbeatable.

Shrunk

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone have opinions on Rachel Podger's recent recording of the violin concertos?

[asin]B003X06BFW[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: Shrunk on March 04, 2012, 06:21:27 AM
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in this thread, but does anyone have opinions on Rachel Podger's recent recording of the violin concertos?

[asin]B003X06BFW[/asin]

Have it, but nothing very memorable about it.
I notice that Que advised against the Manze/Podger recording of the concertos, so I'll counter with a hearty vote for them--they are probably my favorite recording of these works.

milk

Mandryka

I'm enjoying Brandenburg 4 on this Harnoncourt DVD a lot, possibly more than I've ever enjoyed a Brandenburg 4.

I started to get interested in that concerto because of reading this book:

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 11, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
I'm enjoying Brandenburg 4 on this Harnoncourt DVD a lot, possibly more than I've ever enjoyed a Brandenburg 4.

I started to get interested in that concerto because of reading this book:

Would you mind to tell how no. 4 is special in a social and religious respect as compared to no.1-3 and 5-6?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Briefly, the book talks a lot about 4, the first movement of 5, and 6. The idea is in all these cases that JSB allowed an instrument which was conventionally low down in a contemporary hierarchy (harpsichord, recorder and viola) to take a very leading role. And consequently the music is a sort of metaphor for challenging hierarchies -- the music is a metaphor for social equality. 

As far as religion is concerned, he acknowledges that JSB, following Luther, had a very hierarchical view of both music and society in this world (he points to some margin notes in JSB's bible, the nature of JSBs disputes with his work colleagues.) But he thinks that JSB, again following Luther, thought that in paradise there are no hierarchies of people. So ultimately these concertos are a model of the social organisation of the next world, not a revolutionary document for this one.

There's a lot of material in the book about the unity of the concertos -- whether they make an integrated set -- which I've only skimmed through so far.

I've found it an interesting read and it has certainly stimulated me to go on a Brandenburg binge. Your posts have been very helpful, premont, so thanks once again for having posted. I find myself enjoying Egarr's 5th for example (and yes, even the cadenza. Do yo enjoy it more now that a couple of years ago?) And some of Kuijken's second set too -- 6 and of course 3 and 4. Spotify makes all these recordings so easy to access!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Octave

Thanks to everyone for this great thread!  So many great recommendations; I am despondent.

I'm thinking of getting Benjamin Britten's Brandenburgs, simply because I'm under the impression that they're a benchmark recording that I might turn to occasionally with great pleasure, for the the rest of my life.  (For the moment, different approaches and newer recordings might be my greater enthusiasm, most recently the 3-SACD Suzuki collection on BIS, coupled with the Orchestral Suites...extremely beautiful, and a real highlight of my listening year.)  Regarding the Britten recordings, could anyone tell me if there's any advantage in sound or content, to getting the 2008 Eloquence reissue, compared to the older Decca Double?  It seems that perhaps the Eloquence edition is missing a couple concertos (conducted by Marriner?) included on the Double; hard to tell without holding a copy in my hands, because there are different listing at Amazon and Arkiv.

I don't know if all the Eloquence editions are newly remastered (I don't think they all are), but is this one?  Also curious about the extra material on the Eloquence; is it worth having?  (See label blurb below.)

Label hype for the Eloquence:
QuoteA unique release filling out britten's voluble performances of the brandenburg concertos with the english chamber orchestra with the very rare lp issued by decca of 'the 1953 aldeburgh festival opening concert'. It contains the much sought-after sellinger's round (variations on an elizabethan theme) conducted by britten, as well as odes and anthems by purcell and arne, featuring alfred deller and sir peter pears, conducted by imogen holst. The disc ends with four 'bonus tracks' that comprised a decca ep: sir adrian boult conducting bach's air from the orchestral suite no. 3 and bantock's arrangement of 'sheep may safely graze' plus britten conducting clarke's trumpet voluntary and his own, very beautiful arrangement of god save the queen. A true collector's item! Artists: alfred deller (countertenor), peter pears (tenor). Conductors: sir adrian boult, benjamin britten, imogen holst.

I think I am actually more excited to try out a number of other BC recordings, HIP and otherwise; but the Britten is one I thought I should have as well.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

HIPster

Quote from: milk on June 08, 2012, 06:15:21 PM

I'm curious what people think of this.

It is excellent, milk!  Really enjoyable in every way.

A recent purchase that I am enjoying very much:

[asin]B0085U0GWO[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

milk

Opus106

Quote from: milk on March 23, 2013, 10:33:56 AM
I wonder if anyone has noticed this new recording.

Noticed? Yes. (Antoine Shumway posted the image in the new releases thread somewhere, a few weeks ago.) Heard? I don't know.
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: milk on March 23, 2013, 10:33:56 AM

I wonder if anyone has noticed this new recording.

The tempos by the Freiburger tends to be pretty fast IMO.  I have a few of their recordings plus DVD but do not have this particular one and do not have any intention to get it either since I already have many great versions of the Bach Violin Concertos ...