Bach's Orchestral Music (Brandenburgs, Suites & Concertos)

Started by Que, May 19, 2007, 12:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 21, 2014, 04:50:44 PM
Thanks guys. I certainly wouldn't want to affront St. Leonhardt's shade!  Let me ask you:  how would you rate your recommendations compared to the ones I own (Pinnock, Harnoncourt)? And also, what do you think of this one:

Oyveh. I bet it's been 20 years maybe since I heard that. Britten is WAY better.
I like Pinnock a lot. It's been too long with Harnoncourt, which I last heard in the 70s when i aired it on radio.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 21, 2014, 03:04:51 PM
Can anyone recommend a modern instrument version of the Brandenburgs? I currently own Pinnock 1982 and Harnoncourt period instrument versions, and was thinking about adding a modern instrument version.

I don't necessarily agree it's better to go HIP again, especially when there are great underrated MI sets out there needing a good home. For instance, my favorite for a Brandenburg set is topped by Goebel (HIP) and Schreier (MI).

Here are some short samples of Schreier.

[asin]B0053FRFRS[/asin]
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

NJ Joe

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 21, 2014, 05:07:54 PM
I don't necessarily agree it's better to go HIP again, especially when there are great underrated MI sets out there needing a good home. For instance, my favorite for a Brandenburg set is topped by Goebel (HIP) and Schreier (MI).

[asin]B0053FRFRS[/asin]

Thanks DD.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Sammy

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 21, 2014, 05:07:54 PM

[asin]B0053FRFRS[/asin]

Schreier's is an excellent set.  I usually find MI recordings of the Brandenburgs to be a trial, but your favorite set is a total joy.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Sammy on February 21, 2014, 06:43:42 PM
Schreier's is an excellent set.  I usually find MI recordings of the Brandenburgs to be a trial, but your favorite set is a total joy.

I didn't think anyone else even knew of this set. I should've known you'd be the exception B-dog. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

aukhawk

Since I discovered Cafe Zimmermann, I haven't felt much need to listen elsewhere, for Bach's orchestral music.

But I'd go along with Britten, for a modern instruments recommendation.  His solo in the 5th is simply the best I've ever heard.  Saw him in concert too, around the time these recordings were made.  Also saw him conduct a performance of Purcell's Fairy Queen, around the same time - all-star cast, terrific occasion.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 21, 2014, 04:14:34 PM
Agreed about you missing out on good HIP ones (English Baroque Soloists and Concerto Italiano come to mind right off the bat);  but if you really want an MI performance,  Britten is excellent; or go for Chailly/Gewandhaus.

Bought Concerto Italiano yesterday and listened tonight.  Beautiful top-notch performances, I love it! Thanks for the recommendation.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Ken B

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 22, 2014, 10:18:08 PM
Bought Concerto Italiano yesterday and listened tonight.  Beautiful top-notch performances, I love it! Thanks for the recommendation.
HIP is the way, the truth, the light.

Just sayin'

Dancing Divertimentian

jlaurson

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 21, 2014, 04:50:44 PM
Thanks guys. I certainly wouldn't want to affront St. Leonhardt's shade!  Let me ask you:  how would you rate your recommendations compared to the ones I own (Pinnock, Harnoncourt)? And also, what do you think of this one:

Little to nothing. Pinnock & Harnoncourt are a different league. But it'll make you appreciate those more, I reckon. :-)
I think they came at a certain point of stylistic re-orientation that made them aimless and ungainly... and sort of a worst-of-all-worlds kind of situation. I'd rather have Britten or Munchinger or Cafe Zimmermann or Egarr et al. which is to say: Anyone I consider a musical joy, regardless of ideology. Here's a link to lots of reviews:

[url=http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html]http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WNAHZ7EEL.__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

Little to nothing. Pinnock & Harnoncourt are a different league. But it'll make you appreciate those more, I reckon. :-)
I think they came at a certain point of stylistic re-orientation that made them aimless and ungainly... and sort of a worst-of-all-worlds kind of situation. I'd rather have Britten or Munchinger or Cafe Zimmermann or Egarr et al. which is to say: Anyone I consider a musical joy, regardless of ideology. Here's a link to lots of reviews:

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html

THE BRANDENBURG CONCERTOS ON IONARTS:

Adolf Busch's Brandenburg Concertos [22.7.12]

Richard Egarr's Brandenburg Concertos [21.7.12]

Best Recordings of 2010 (# 8) [10.12.10]

More Brandenburgs, Top Shelf (Part 1) [9.8.10]

Savall's Brandenburgs [7.8.10]

Brandenburg Concertos, Part 1 [11.3.09]

Brandenburg Concertos, Part 2 [25.3.09]

Old School Brandenburgs [21.12.07]

Trever Pinnock: Bach Again, at 61 [14.12.07]

Dip Your Ears, No. 75 (Loussier's Brandenburgs) [26.1.07][/url]

DavidW

Savall is my favorite and while HIP, doesn't sound like Pinnock so should sit well on your shelf.  Still would like to hear Kuijken someday.

Ken B

Quote from: DavidW on March 11, 2014, 11:22:26 AM
Savall is my favorite and while HIP, doesn't sound like Pinnock so should sit well on your shelf.  Still would like to hear Kuijken someday.
Bargain box
[asin]B0042GNDMU[/asin]

kishnevi

Quote from: Ken B on March 11, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
Bargain box
[asin]B0042GNDMU[/asin]

I think Jens was talking about this one

See the Ionarts link Jens provided for more info.

I have that DHM box, and I can't say I found anything particularly memorable (good or bad) with those performances.  (I don't have the Accent set.)

NJ Joe

Quote from: jlaurson on March 11, 2014, 10:04:53 AM

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WNAHZ7EEL.__PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg

[url=http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html]http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2012/07/dip-your-ears-no-122-kuijkens-third.html

THE BRANDENBURG CONCERTOS ON IONARTS:

Adolf Busch's Brandenburg Concertos [22.7.12]

Richard Egarr's Brandenburg Concertos [21.7.12]

Best Recordings of 2010 (# 8) [10.12.10]

More Brandenburgs, Top Shelf (Part 1) [9.8.10]

Savall's Brandenburgs [7.8.10]

Brandenburg Concertos, Part 1 [11.3.09]

Brandenburg Concertos, Part 2 [25.3.09]

Old School Brandenburgs [21.12.07]

Trever Pinnock: Bach Again, at 61 [14.12.07]

Dip Your Ears, No. 75 (Loussier's Brandenburgs) [26.1.07][/url]

Thank you so much, I look forward to reading these articles.  I noticed many links within links!

Right now I am obsessed with the Concerto Italiano recording I bought in late February. I feel like I don't want to move away from it at this point. The 4th, which is my favorite, is absolutely stellar.
-David Byrne

Octave

Quote from: Ken B on March 11, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
Bargain box
[asin]B0042GNDMU[/asin]

Ah, but I am happy to see that this little box contains a disc of violin concerti that I have been wanting.  Too bad I have 3 out of 5 of these discs.  This is the one, though it seems to be expanded in its boxed reissue:

[asin]B000026NHZ[/asin]

I was sorry that it had not been included in the DHM Bach or Kuijken "edition" boxes.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

Quote from: Octave on March 12, 2014, 08:59:38 PM
Ah, but I am happy to see that this little box contains a disc of violin concerti that I have been wanting.  Too bad I have 3 out of 5 of these discs.  This is the one, though it seems to be expanded in its boxed reissue:

[asin]B000026NHZ[/asin]

I was sorry that it had not been included in the DHM Bach or Kuijken "edition" boxes.

Definitely get that violin concertos recording! :)

I vaguely remember having seen some Japanese reissue, but probably getting the box set is a cheaper solution.

Q

DavidW

Thank you Ken you are the man!

Musical Offering is a cool inclusion to round out the box.  I've preordered it. 8)

milk

I just noticed this new one.
[asin]B00GIXPWCO[/asin]

Que

Quote from: milk on March 15, 2014, 11:02:54 PM
I just noticed this new one.
[asin]B00GIXPWCO[/asin]

Me too.  :) It recall Premont commenting that it would be hard to match their earlier efforts (he must be referring to the DVD issue?).

But no matter, the samples sound just right...and different from what I have (Harnoncourt II & Linde Consort). This might be one of those rare occasions I buy another recording of these old war horses! ;D

Q

milk

Quote from: Que on March 16, 2014, 03:57:59 AM
Me too.  :) It recall Premont commenting that it would be hard to match their earlier efforts (he must be referring to the DVD issue?).

But no matter, the samples sound just right...and different from what I have (Harnoncourt II & Linde Consort). This might be one of those rare occasions I buy another recording of these old war horses! ;D

Q
Yeah, it's hard for me to decide if I really need another. I'm pretty happy with Fasolis, Zimmermann, Alessandrini, etc. But if folks feel it brings something much different...There's another recent one on these pages, I forget which, that I finally decided I didn't need. But I'm always looking for new ways to listen to this grand old music. And Freiburger rarely disappoints.