Newbie is searching for recommendations to begin collect

Started by Whistle, March 09, 2017, 07:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistle

:)
Hi, I am 47 years old man from Austria and new to classical music. A week ago I bought my first classical online. It was Jean Rondeau-Bach Concertos Dynastie. I love this album so much as Rock/Pop music man that I now really want to dig in this new world for me. Perhaps I can get get recommendations of reference discs or forum favorites.
Many thanks Erich

aligreto

Hello and welcome to GMG  :)
"Classical" music is a very big field. My advice would be to listen on line, to the radio etc. and try all genres and composers to establish which ones you like rather than try to pick up on other people's favourites. Taste is a very personal thing as you know and one person's hero can be another's villain. Join in conversations here and ask questions. Best of luck  :)

Whistle

Ken B

My advice is to ignore most advice you get here!  :blank:

Aligreto's advice is good. Lots of music on Spotify, or Amazon music if you have prime. Indiscriminate listening is a good place to start.

There are lots of big boxes of assorted classical stuff available now pretty cheaply. Here's an example
[asin]B002DZX95I[/asin] and there are others.

Cato

Quote from: Whistle on March 09, 2017, 07:19:25 AM
:)
Hi, I am 47 years old man from Austria and new to classical music. A week ago I bought my first classical online. It was Jean Rondeau-Bach Concertos Dynastie. I love this album so much as Rock/Pop music man that I now really want to dig in this new world for me. Perhaps I can get get recommendations of reference discs or forum favorites.
Many thanks Erich

Gruess Gott!

Als Oesterreicher muessen Sie unbedingt die Sinfonien von Anton Bruckner erleben!

[asin]B00006YXOX[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jochanaan

Hello, Whistle!  Some of us here also do whistles -- in the form of flutes and other wind instruments. :)

One thing you may find very quickly in classical music is that it expects you to sit down and listen for an extended time.  Most pop songs are 3-4 minutes long, jazz tracks may go longer (up to 25 minutes in the case of some Miles recordings), but classical compositions regularly take a half-hour or longer to play, and all of it's important.  We speak of an "arc" of sound, and that seems a good metaphor for the progress of a composition that may have lots of important material.  But I would encourage you to take the time.  It's well worth it. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Whistle