Most "accessible" Beethoven's string quartets

Started by Diletante, November 09, 2008, 09:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peregrine

I thought this set had gone OOP, but appears available from Amazon at present for a good price and whilst not the last word in this genre, they are most eminent, soulful accounts -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000051ZPV/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Yes, we have no bananas

George

Quote from: Peregrine on March 10, 2009, 04:09:18 AM
I thought this set had gone OOP, but appears available from Amazon at present for a good price and whilst not the last word in this genre, they are most eminent, soulful accounts -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000051ZPV/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Strongly seconded. That's my favorite set. The price is dirt cheap too!  :)

Valentino

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Keemun

Quote from: George on March 10, 2009, 04:44:15 AM
Strongly seconded. That's my favorite set. The price is dirt cheap too!  :)

Today's exchange rate makes this $40.71 USD.  Much cheaper than the $77.99 Amazon.com wants for it in the US.  >:( 

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

George

Quote from: Keemun on March 10, 2009, 05:51:22 AM
Today's exchange rate makes this $40.71 USD.  Much cheaper than the $77.99 Amazon.com wants for it in the US.  >:( 

I know... :-\

for the Karajan box, amazon.uk is also the place to go. Perhaps I should browse the amazon.uk site more often?

Keemun

Yeah, I'm thinking I should start checking prices at the UK site before purchasing from the U.S. site.  :-\
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Jay F

I had the Lindsays on ASV at first, and liked them a lot, but they all got bronzed and made that helicopter noise. Now I have the Takacs Quartets, and I like them, too. The Razumovskys are my favorites.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jezetha on November 12, 2008, 06:15:03 AM
Everyone is different. My first quartet was op. 132, which I loved immediately (minus the second movement, which I still find boring, the Trio excepted).

Like Johan, my first experience with Beethoven's quartets was with the late ones (in my case, a box of LPs by the Yale and, a short time later, the Busch). I actually had the most trouble getting into the early quartets; it took me years to appreciate them. But the Große Fuge clicked immediately. Before I'd suggest any single quartet to the OP, I'd first ask him what kind of music he likes. I didn't find the late quartets intimidating; he might not either.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Diletante

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 15, 2009, 07:32:44 PM
Before I'd suggest any single quartet to the OP, I'd first ask him what kind of music he likes. I didn't find the late quartets intimidating; he might not either.

Some months have passed since I asked this question, but the only Beethoven string quartet I've heard is the first. To be honest, I find string quartets harder to approach than other configurations, maybe because of the fact that they're all string instruments and you don't have the tone color variety of a symphony or even a violin sonata.

FWIW, my favorite movement of the first Beethoven string quartet is the second movement. Also, the other day I was listening to the Smetana string quartets on TV and I found the first movement of his first string quartet ("From my Life") extremely compelling.

Other music that I like are mostly Romantic, Late Romantic and 20th century concertos and symphonies (Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Bartók, Ravel). As for chamber music, I'm fond of Chopin's nocturnes, ballades, barcarolle and his cello sonata.
Orgullosamente diletante.

ChamberNut

Quote from: tanuki on March 16, 2009, 09:27:00 AM
To be honest, I find string quartets harder to approach than other configurations, maybe because of the fact that they're all string instruments and you don't have the tone color variety of a symphony or even a violin sonata.

Perhaps I could suggest you try sampling some mixture of string quartet with piano or clarinet?  There are many great piano trios, piano quartets and piano quintets that are almost guaranteed to grab you 100%. 

George

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
Perhaps I could suggest you try sampling some mixture of string quartet with piano or clarinet?  There are many great piano trios, piano quartets and piano quintets that are almost guaranteed to grab you 100%. 

Isn't it interesting that Beethoven did not write a piano quartet?

Wanderer

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 09:46:00 AM

Actually he did, three of them (WoO 36). They were written around 1785 when he was still in Bonn and they were published posthumously.

George

Quote from: Wanderer on March 16, 2009, 09:53:57 AM
Actually he did, three of them (WoO 36). They were written around 1785 when he was still in Bonn and they were published posthumously.

Thanks, I haven't seen any recordings of them.

ChamberNut

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 09:46:00 AM

As mentioned, he actually did compose 3 piano quartets.  I do have them, they were composed when he was 15.  Nice, but definitely not missing too much, IMO George.  Sorry Ludwig.  :-[

George

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 10:00:25 AM
As mentioned, he actually did compose 3 piano quartets.  I do have them, they were composed when he was 15.  Nice, but definitely not missing too much, IMO George.  Sorry Ludwig.  :-[

Thanks, I figured as much.

nut-job

Quote from: knight on November 09, 2008, 10:42:39 PM
Yes, I agree with the above. My introduction to them was through a set of the middle period ones. There were on Phillips by the Quartet Italiano; I still prize them highly. Unfortunately the quartet no longer exists; they disbanded for political reasons. That is the only time I have known of that happening. However, they left behind them quite a few very beautiful recordings.

Mike

Political reasons?  I though it was bickering over who should play viola.

Wanderer

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 09:54:48 AM
Thanks, I haven't seen any recordings of them.

I'm only familiar with the one recording I have with Escenbach and members of the Amadeus Quartet (presumably OOP now). They're quite delightful, tuneful pieces with a mostly sunny disposition (all three are in major keys) and with prominent piano parts.

Haffner

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 09:34:38 AM

JA! Schumann, anyone?

Gabriel

Quote from: KammerNuss on March 16, 2009, 10:00:25 AM

They are certainly not masterpieces, but they are very pleasant works. I haven't listened to them for quite a long time, but there was one among them that seemed to me to prefigure the first movement of the Pathétique sonata.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Wanderer on March 16, 2009, 10:24:10 AM
I'm only familiar with the one recording I have with Escenbach and members of the Amadeus Quartet (presumably OOP now). They're quite delightful, tuneful pieces with a mostly sunny disposition (all three are in major keys) and with prominent piano parts.

That's the one I have.  It isn't OOP, as far as I know.