The one SOLO PIANO album you think everyone should own.

Started by dtwilbanks, May 19, 2007, 08:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbital

I second Drasko's choice.

And to add something of my own:

greg

this is the cover i know and loved, but i also found another cover:

chrisg

Quote from: Haffner on May 20, 2007, 09:26:06 AM

Where have I been? I haven't even heard of this one??!!! His Chopin is terrific!

When it comes to Beethoven, I like it to breath fire, and expected Moravec to be somewhat understated compared to the likes of Richter, Gilels, Annie Fischer, Gulda, etc. at their best.  The beautiful singing tone and soulful phrasing is all there, slow movements are predictably gorgeous, but it's the speed and flat out power of the outer movements that surprised me.  Beethoven con brio!!

Like the man said, "run, don't walk." 

SimonGodders

Maciek

Quote from: uffeviking on May 20, 2007, 10:54:39 AM
No doubt: Sokolov and Diabelli Variations:

Oh, I'll be definitely adding this to my wish list then!

(Along with a few others spotted here, of course... ;D)

orbital

Quote from: MrOsa on May 20, 2007, 02:07:24 PM
Oh, I'll be definitely adding this to my wish list then!

(Along with a few others spotted here, of course... ;D)
Me too, but the only problem is, not every album everyone SHOULD own are albums they CAN own  :'(

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Steve

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Don

Quote from: uffeviking on May 20, 2007, 11:36:42 AM
I have  both and it amazes me every time watch them how two great artists can use the same notes written by a genius, can have such different meanings and enable different interpretations.

What Sokolov and Anderszewski have in common with the Diabelli Variations is that both are highly individualized accounts - successful risk takers.

Maciek

Quote from: orbital on May 20, 2007, 02:25:11 PM
Me too, but the only problem is, not every album everyone SHOULD own are albums they CAN own  :'(

Yeah, there are limits to what one can own but, as far as I'm concerned, wishlists are limitless... ;D

The Mad Hatter

It depends on whether you like Argerich's style, but I think this one's amazing.

Novi

And I like this one:

The Fantasiestücke used to be a favourite, although these days I find parts of it a touch manic. The Gaspard, along with Michelangeli's, is the one I go back to the most.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Black Knight

I'm gonna go all patriotic here, so here you go:

Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis: The Complete Piano Music, Vol. 1

One of my favourite solo piano CDs.

dtwilbanks

val

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Kullervo

MN Dave

Resurrection.  ;) Still looking for good piano, chaps.  0:)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer