The one album of LIEDER you think everyone should own.

Started by dtwilbanks, May 19, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwilbanks

A gentleman on this very board turned me on to this recording. I'm waiting for the CDs to make it over to the US so I can purchase originals (I've never ordered from Europe and am nervous about it, I guess.) A wonderful singer.

Anyway, check it out, my European friends:

http://www.preiserrecords.at/album.php?ean=717281893060

dtwilbanks

Larry, oh my god, that's funny. We posted it at the same time.  ;D

springrite

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 20, 2007, 06:37:49 AM

Super Slow Motion Reply indicates Larry to be the official winner there!

BachQ

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 20, 2007, 06:37:49 AM

Larry beat you by a full 23 seconds . . . . . .  :D

springrite

Quote from: D Minor on May 20, 2007, 08:12:02 AM

For a non-leap-year, that's a lot of time!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: D Minor on May 20, 2007, 08:12:02 AM

I was typing at the time. That Larry is a quicks-draw.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 20, 2007, 08:17:23 AM
I was typing at the time. That Larry is a quicks-draw.

:D But which gentleman on this board first told you of these recordings?

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on May 20, 2007, 06:37:54 PM
:D But which gentleman on this board first told you of these recordings?

Hm, let me pause for reflection for a moment.  ;)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Daverz on May 19, 2007, 09:01:50 AM
I don't think there's any CD that everyone should own, but this is a nice one of Schubert and Schumann that works wonderfully as a program:

Thanks for the recommendation, Daverz. I listened to this last night and was captivated from beginning to end. Gorgeous!   0:)

val

SCHUBERT: Lieder by Elisabeth Schumann with several pianists, including Gerald Moore and, Reginald Kell in clarinet (2 CD)

HUGO WOLF: Lieder, by Fischer Dieskau and Baremboim (6 CD)

johnshade

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 20, 2007, 03:50:15 AM
Well I can thing of at least a dozen, but for Lieder with orchestra,

You must have at least one Strauss lieder CD. This is it.
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

beclemund

This one looks interesting.

I think I'll put it on my list...
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

not edward

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 20, 2007, 03:50:15 AM

Thirded or fourthed or fifth or whatever. I think I nominated this as The One Disc, so it can stand as The One Lieder Disc very happily.

Every time I listen to it, I spend the next month or so thinking the stand-alone Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is the greatest performance of anything ever recorded.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: edward on May 22, 2007, 06:53:47 PM
Thirded or fourthed or fifth or whatever. I think I nominated this as The One Disc, so it can stand as The One Lieder Disc very happily.

Every time I listen to it, I spend the next month or so thinking the stand-alone Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen is the greatest performance of anything ever recorded.

Well that song would definitely be a desert island choice for me. It's the one recording I play to Baker doubters, usually people who dismiss the singer without actually having really listened to her. They are always forced to reassess their evaluation.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: johnshade on May 22, 2007, 02:55:15 PM

Many people prefer Schwarzkopf's first recording of the songs, but, as she herself said,

Many people maintain the first one is better. It's different of course. The voice is much younger. I don't think the first one is better, although one hears in the second that it is a maturer sound, but then the poems are not poems for a young creature, the poems are that of a mature person. It is never a girlish sound, it must suggest maturity, if anything.

And I agree. They demand the voice character of a Marschallin, not a Sophie. In certain moods I may like to hear versions by Janowitz, Popp, Della Casa, the young Schwarzkopf herself, but I will always return to this one, as the most probing version in the catalogue.

Incidentally, anyone who thinks that Schwarzkopf had an inflated idea of her own value (that Desert Island Discs programme, where she chose all her own records, will dog her for ever), should try to get hold of Alan Sanders and John Steane's Elisabeth Schwarzkopf: A Career on Record. It shows her to be as severely self critical, as she could be of her students.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Hector

Quote from: johnshade on May 22, 2007, 02:55:15 PM

Or one lieder CD.

This'll do!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Hector on May 23, 2007, 06:40:56 AM
Or one lieder CD.

This'll do!

:D  Oh, c'mon, Hector. There's some nice stuff out there.

Hector

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 23, 2007, 07:41:57 AM
:D  Oh, c'mon, Hector. There's some nice stuff out there.

OK, but you said one.

Therefore, the Chandos/various soloists/Vonk of Diepenbrock's orchestral songs.

I believe that you can get that and the orchestral works for the price of a small round at your local from those nice people at Brilliant!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Hector on May 25, 2007, 06:17:52 AM
OK, but you said one.

Therefore, the Chandos/various soloists/Vonk of Diepenbrock's orchestral songs.

I believe that you can get that and the orchestral works for the price of a small round at your local from those nice people at Brilliant!

This one?

Hector

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 28, 2007, 09:22:43 AM
This one?

That is the original Chandos issue at more than a round of drinks at my local.

I'm sure that I saw it on Brilliant somewhere.

Either/or a must on any label! ;)