The one album of LIEDER you think everyone should own.

Started by dtwilbanks, May 19, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

I don't think there's any CD that everyone should own, but this is a nice one of Schubert and Schumann that works wonderfully as a program:

These are also in a Deutsche Harmonia Mundi box titled "The Early Years Vol. 4", if you can find it.

The main issue that many have with Ameling is that she sings things very "straight".

I'd like to recommend Baker on an EMI twofer for a more dramatic approach, but that has no texts.  The texts are all online, and I suppose you could print them out.

I doubt this has been remastered since the last "double fforte" issue, if you should encounter that.

(I'm afraid I never got much into male lieder singers, but someone else can pick up the slack.)

Michel

bhodges

R. Strauss: Lieder (Jessye Norman / Geoffrey Parsons) - So many great things about this recording, starting with the selections themselves, which are some of the most beautiful ever written.  It also includes "Malven," the tiny, lovely song discovered shortly before this recording was made.  Norman is in really outstanding form, and ditto Parsons, and the sound quality (recorded in Snape Maltings) is fantastic, as if you are in the hall with them.

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite

Contains the greatest lied of all time: Erlkonig.

Drasko

I'm not the most knowledgable on the matter but I do like this one

Maciek

I'm not sure if this has been released separately (especially on CD) but disc number 5 from this set is one of the best things I have in my modest collection (and the other discs in the set are all excellent too):

LÉOPOLD SIMONEAU
PIERRETTE ALARIE
Opera Recitals and Lieder
(DG)
CD number 5: Mozart - Lieder (Alarie - soprano, Erik Werba - piano, mono), Debussy - Ariettes oubliées and some other songs (Alarie - soprano, Allan Rogers, piano)

An absolute stunner!

If the disc hasn't been released separately then my nomination goes to the whole set. ;D

Maciek

Dancing Divertimentian

If the Zemlinsky set proves too difficult to find, this one is a worthy substitute:

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 19, 2007, 02:29:22 PM
Contains the greatest lied of all time: Erlkonig.

I agree and the way F-D does it is a hard, if not impossible act to follow.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Tsaraslondon

Well I can thing of at least a dozen, but for Lieder with orchestra, these two

and

And for Lieder with piano, this classic Schubert recital.

I know some people are allergic to Schwarzkopf, but the selection she recorded with Fischer is, in my opinion, hors concours, with a particularly dramatic rendition of Gretchen am Spinnrade. In later life seh was actually very critical of this version, finding it far too operatic. Maybe that's why I like it so much.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Que

(4 CD)

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on May 20, 2007, 03:50:15 AM
I know some people are allergic to Schwarzkopf, but the selection she recorded with Fischer is, in my opinion, hors concours, with a particularly dramatic rendition of Gretchen am Spinnrade. In later life seh was actually very critical of this version, finding it far too operatic. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

I also like early Schwarzkopf best.

Q

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on May 19, 2007, 09:54:47 PM
I agree and the way F-D does it is a hard, if not impossible act to follow.

ZB

Yup. I think one time I had that track on repeat for about an hour and never got sick of it. It is really the only lied I listen to, other than Mahler of course.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: D Minor on May 20, 2007, 05:26:00 AM
What does that sell for, Sarge?

If you don't mind me chiming in I saw it at JandR in NYC for about $250, a bargain really if you love Schubert.

dtwilbanks

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Hey Sarge, will you burn me a copy of that?  ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: D Minor on May 20, 2007, 05:26:00 AM
What does that sell for, Sarge?

Mrs. Rock gave it to me; a Christmas present two years ago. She thinks she paid 140 pounds (around 200 Euro) at Amazon.UK. She said it was the best price she could find at the time. 5 Euro a disc...yeah, great price for an invaluable set.

Sarge
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 20, 2007, 06:02:50 AM
Hey Sarge, will you burn me a copy of that?  ;D

No, problem. I'll start now and should be done by mid-August  ;D

Sarge