The one album of LIEDER you think everyone should own.

Started by dtwilbanks, May 19, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Dietrich-Fischer Deskau, Seleced Lieder (Schubert)

Lilas Pastia

Is the Ameling-Demus HM disc the one that was issued as "Schubertiade"? This contained the most enchanting Shepherd on the Rock ever issued. With period instruments, a rarity in the sixties.

XB-70 Valkyrie

WOW! Interesting stuff here, especially the Leopold Simoneau (he's a bit obscure, I have some of his stuff somewhere on LP.) and the Zemlinsky. Thanks guys!

Here are a few of my favorites:

I can't believe no one has mentioned this:

This is absolutely sublime but probably difficult to obtain now:

I don't think Fürtwangler is as convincing an accompanist as Gerald Moore (but then, who is?), but this is wonderful too, esp. the Schlafendes Jesuskind!

----------------------------------

The following three are favorites of mine ON LP (and some are probably reissued on CD at this point too)

-> Dietrich Fischer Dieskau's first recording of Die Schone Müllerin (1950s on HMV), probably the finest lieder recording he ever made!

-> The very warm and tender rendition of Dichterliebe by Charles Panzera (1950s LP Reissue on Pathe Marconi of a 1930s recording)

-> A spellbinding performance of Dichterliebe by Lotte Lehmann and Bruno Walter. The intensity and high notes in Ich grolle nicht will leave you speechless! (Columbia 1950s)

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Tsaraslondon

XB- Valkyrie

If you like Schwarzkopf and Wolf, are you aware of this release?

I got it for £10 at Virgin recently

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

XB-70 Valkyrie

Haven't seen it, but thanks for the recommendation. I will certainly keep my eyes open for it.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

PSmith08

Peter Schreier and András Schiff doing Schumann opp. 24, 29, 48 in Dresden in 2000. Their Schubert collaboration is intelligent and sensitive, but this Schumann collaboration really does it for me. "Mit Myrthen und Rosen," from this set, might be my favorite Lied.

Daverz

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 01, 2007, 04:20:07 PM
Is the Ameling-Demus HM disc the one that was issued as "Schubertiade"? This contained the most enchanting Shepherd on the Rock ever issued. With period instruments, a rarity in the sixties.

Yes, this is the one, without the Ländler and including all but 1 song of a Schumann recital.  North American readers may have had this on RCA Victrola or Quintessence Lps.

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on June 07, 2007, 03:49:23 PM
Haven't seen it, but thanks for the recommendation. I will certainly keep my eyes open for it.

Oh and by the way it is a 2 disc set, so a real bargain!
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: Daverz on June 07, 2007, 09:43:52 PM
Yes, this is the one, without the Ländler and including all but 1 song of a Schumann recital.  North American readers may have had this on RCA Victrola or Quintessence Lps.

I used to have that recital on lp, then on cassette. Just purchased it last week, it's on it's way and I can't wait: will it live up to the golden memories I have? Suspense, suspense!!

Philoctetes

mjwal

I'm going to be naughty and recommend a record that seems to be available on Amazon.fr on a label called Enterprise - it has the same play list as my Vocal Archives CD. Score fetishists will fume at the freedom with the text, voice lovers will be disturbed by the sound of his voice, piano lovers will shudder at the occluded acoustics of some of these; most will learn something about the lied-singing style possible before WW2. On it, Mengelberg's great Evangelist, Karl Erb, sings Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Liszt, Brahms & Wolf. You may be moved to look for more - there is a radio performance of Nachtstück that puts everyone (i.e.Wunderlich et al.) in the shade with amazingly powerful arching phrases like Martinelli in the last scene of Aida, but it may never have been silvered. In any case, this CD would be the album everyone should own in order to learn about the singular intensity that lied interpretation before WW2 could achieve and to banish - finally! - the long shadow cast by FiDi's professorial style of singing; I can't think of a single recording by him that I would take to a desert island, unless it were the live Wolf Goethe-Lieder accompanied by Richter, for Richter's sake.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Que

Quote from: mjwal on June 15, 2007, 08:43:17 AM
I'm going to be naughty and recommend a record that seems to be available on Amazon.fr on a label called Enterprise - it has the same play list as my Vocal Archives CD. Score fetishists will fume at the freedom with the text, voice lovers will be disturbed by the sound of his voice, piano lovers will shudder at the occluded acoustics of some of these; most will learn something about the lied-singing style possible before WW2. On it, Mengelberg's great Evangelist, Karl Erb, sings Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Liszt, Brahms & Wolf. You may be moved to look for more - there is a radio performance of Nachtstück that puts everyone (i.e.Wunderlich et al.) in the shade with amazingly powerful arching phrases like Martinelli in the last scene of Aida, but it may never have been silvered. In any case, this CD would be the album everyone should own in order to learn about the singular intensity that lied interpretation before WW2 could achieve and to banish - finally! - the long shadow cast by FiDi's professorial style of singing; I can't think of a single recording by him that I would take to a desert island, unless it were the live Wolf Goethe-Lieder accompanied by Richter, for Richter's sake.

Enterprise = pirates!  ;D

But I agree with your recommendation - back to the time Schubert was sung instead of being subjected to psycho analysis.

"Legit' issues with Karl Erb on Preiser - his voice has an remarkable likeness with that of Peter Schreier, with the big difference that I like Karl Erb... 8)

bhodges

All quite fascinating...I've heard of Erb but haven't yet heard his singing.  And I'm not that familiar with many pre-WWII singers, so thanks for the comments on this. 

--Bruce

Que

Quote from: bhodges on June 15, 2007, 09:32:49 AM
All quite fascinating...I've heard of Erb but haven't yet heard his singing.  And I'm not that familiar with many pre-WWII singers, so thanks for the comments on this. 

--Bruce

Bruce, now you've encouraged me to add some! ;D

Most distinguished prewar baritones were the still well known (bass-)baritone Hans Hotter and also Gerhard Hüsch - the prewar "FD", except his voice was more beautiful....but his style was of course very different.

(Preiser)

Q

bhodges

Quote from: Que on June 15, 2007, 09:44:19 AM
Bruce, now you've encouraged me to add some! ;D

Most distinguished prewar baritones were the still well known (bass-)baritone Hans Hotter and also Gerhard Hüsch - the prewar "FD", except his voice was more beautiful....but his style was of course very different.

(Preiser)

Q

Thanks, I've heard Hotter, but not Hüsch.  Coincidentally, I'm having dinner with some singers tonight, so I will mention these names to them.

I'm trying to overcome my impatience with many historical recordings -- it's a sound quality thing.  But of course, not all singers' eras overlapped with modern recording technology (Caruso being probably the most famous example) so if you want to hear them, you have to take what's there.  Anyway, these recordings look very interesting.

--Bruce

karlhenning

All right, I'll zig where others zag.

Hindemith, Das Marienleben, Opus 27

Anyone know of any recording other than Roxalana Roslak with Glenn St-Gould?

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 09:57:24 AM
All right, I'll zig where others zag.

Hindemith, Das Marienleben, Opus 27

Anyone know of any recording other than Roxalana Roslak with Glenn St-Gould?

Oh absolutely!  If you like the piece try to hear Karita Mattila's recording.  She made it awhile ago (before she reached stardom) and it's marvelous.  The rest of the CD is quite interesting, too. 

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on June 15, 2007, 10:01:26 AM
Oh absolutely!  If you like the piece try to hear Karita Mattila's recording.  She made it awhile ago (before she reached stardom) and it's marvelous.  The rest of the CD is quite interesting, too. 

But, Bruce . . . who plays piano? . . .

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:11:03 AM
But, Bruce . . . who plays piano? . . .

Oh, there must be two versions?  This one is with chamber orchestra.

--Bruce

knight66

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.