The one album of LIEDER you think everyone should own.

Started by dtwilbanks, May 19, 2007, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on June 15, 2007, 10:15:29 AM
Oh, there must be two versions?  This one is with chamber orchestra.

Is it just six of the numbers then, Bruce?  It's a cycle of 15.

Who did the arrangement, I wonder?

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:19:37 AM
Is it just six of the numbers then, Bruce?  It's a cycle of 15.

Who did the arrangement, I wonder?

I'll try to find it later (amid the clutter  ;D) and check the booklet.  Meanwhile, yes, I'd bet the one with Janowitz is great.

--Bruce

karlhenning

I do like the Roslak/Gould outing, but it's such a great piece, and I should delight in another reading.

karlhenning

BTW, the CD reissue of the Roslak/Gould also had Lois Marshall singing Beim Schlafengehen from the Strauss Vier letzte Lieder.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: knight on June 15, 2007, 10:16:47 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-Hindemith-Marienleben-Lieder-Gedichten/dp/B000009HWC/ref=sr_1_5/202-2743526-4244651?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1181931324&sr=1-5

Piano version with Irwin Gage and.....Gundula Janowitz.

Mike

Quote from: karlhenning on June 15, 2007, 10:27:53 AM
I do like the Roslak/Gould outing, but it's such a great piece, and I should delight in another reading.

The Janowitz is the second version (1948). Is the Gould also this version?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

knight66

Sorry, I no longer have the disc, so I cannot give info about it. I simply knew of its existance.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

mjwal

Bruce Hodges wrote "All quite fascinating...I've heard of Erb but haven't yet heard his singing."
Erb belongs both to musical history - he was the husband of Schwarzkopf's singing teacher, Maria Ivogün, by the way, and suffered an accident to his back in 1930 after which he left the stage (his voice on those lieder recordings sounding more castrato-like than on the earlier operatic discs) & the two were divorced - and to the history of literary presentation of things musical in Thomas Mann's Doktor Faustus, which describes an apocalyptic dodecaphonic work in which a tenor called Erbe sings with an unearthly crowing tone. Thomas Mann's version of his name means, ironically, "heritage/inheritance". (The closest thing to this fictive piece in real music might be K.A. Hartmann's Gesangsszene für Bariton und Orchester, though the latter is not 12-tone music.) I have several LPs of his work in lieder and opera as well as a couple of CDs, apart from Mengelberg's great Matthäuspassion.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Ten thumbs

I certainly recommend to everyone Troubadisc's Lied Edition of Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel songs, TRO-CD01420 and 01421. At last we can thwart Mendelssohn's statement that his sister's songs were so beautiful that they should only be heard by a tiny musical elite (more than a hint of jealousy there!). This collection of 53 songs ( about 20% of the composer's output) is especially good for continuous listening because it is spread over four voices, Anne Grimm, soprano, Roswitha Muller, mezzo, Kobie van Rensburg, tenor, and Maarten Koningsberger, bass, with Kelvin Grout at the piano. If everyone owned these discs, Fanny Hensel's status as one of the greatest of lieder composers would be assured.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.