Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2017, 09:17:30 AM
One listen to Le buisson ardent, Parts I & II from the Holliger-led performance on the Hänssler label (w/ the Stuttgart RSO) and I became an admirer of his music. There are some composers where it takes me quite some time to come to appreciate, but with Koechlin, it was instantaneous.

I have yet  to hear any Orchestral Music,... that's probably where I'd enjoy some things, though I don't know how enthused about '7 Stars' I am... 'Buisson' seems to be the one work that intrigues me the most...

Parsifal

Quote from: snyprrr on November 12, 2017, 08:03:00 AM
I've finally landed on the shores of Koechlin Country

My but does he ramble on and on!!

That was my reaction.  I listened to this disc.

Very pretty sonorities, just seemed to drift aimlessly, despite having an explicit program. By then I had acquire one or two other Koechlin recordings but never listened to them.

An exception, there is one great piece by Koechlin that really impressed me, the Idylle for two clarinets. One minute thirty seconds in length. No time for digression.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Scarpia on November 13, 2017, 08:36:46 AM
That was my reaction.  I listened to this disc.

Very pretty sonorities, just seemed to drift aimlessly, despite having an explicit program.

I am going to agree with ramble and drift, but will repeat that I enjoy this score, in particular.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Parsifal

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 13, 2017, 09:21:14 AM
I am going to agree with ramble and drift, but will repeat that I enjoy this score, in particular.

I'm compelled to admit that this recording made an impression. There are many discs of piano music I have listened which I enjoyed but  from which I cannot call to mind a single musical idea. I do have recollections of this disc. But I mostly recall my frustration that these pretty passages would materialize randomly out of nowhere, than dissolve into nothing. In any case, I was not left with any impulse to listen to anything else by Koechlin.

In addition to a disc or two from the Hanssler series of orchestral music, I have two discs of string quartets. Maybe the form would impose some sort of discipline on Koechlin's wandering brain.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 12, 2017, 10:50:13 AM
I'm not sure if this newer release has been talked about, but I'd love to know what some of you (who have heard it of course) think about it:

I bought it a few days ago.

Hi John - I listened to that recording on Spotify a week ago and really enjoyed being a 'wind nut'! :)  Then looked for some reviews and found a bunch (3 are attached as a PDF file for review, if interested) - as a result, I ordered the CD from JPC across the pond for about 5 Euros - should reach me soon.  If you enjoy Koechlin's Chamber Music and the oboe, then a definite recommendation from me.  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 13, 2017, 09:53:03 AM
Hi John - I listened to that recording on Spotify a week ago and really enjoyed being a 'wind nut'! :)  Then looked for some reviews and found a bunch (3 are attached as a PDF file for review, if interested) - as a result, I ordered the CD from JPC across the pond for about 5 Euros - should reach me soon.  If you enjoy Koechlin's Chamber Music and the oboe, then a definite recommendation from me.  Dave

Thank you, Dave. I'm kind of a 'wind nut' myself. Sounds like it's right up my alley, but I love Koechlin anyway, so it didn't take much convincing. ;)

king ubu

the new Koechlin sets available (click images to enlarge):

The Orchestral set I've got fully covered: discs 1 & 2 are the former "Vocal Works with Orchestra" set, then follow the five other orchestral discs (including the *Magicien orchestrateur" one), all RSO Stuttgart/Holliger.

However, in the Chamber Works I've got a gap or two and can't figure out if those can be filled by single discs - having the three Korstick discs (CDs 5-7), the "Music for Clarinet" (CD 1), "Chamber Music with Flute" (CD 2 #4-24) and "Chansons bretonnes" (there these two boxes have a gap), it would be a bit annoying having to get the new box.

What I'm missing is:
- the flute sonata (disc 2 #1-3)
- all of disc 3 (Portrait de Daisy Hamilton plus Oboe and Bassoon sonatas w/piano, french horn solo sonata, Stèle funéraire for 3 flutes)
- the viola sonata (disc 4 - the "Chansons bretonnes" disc instead has Debussy's cello sonata and is thus 20 minutes shorter).

Have those been released previously on SWR/Hänssler? Or did they but them from elsewhere? In the current index on their website, the only reference for these pieces is the box:
http://www.swrmusic.de/pages/t3_KomK_1516_w.html
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Karl Henning

Quote from: king ubu on November 14, 2017, 11:42:31 PM

The Orchestral set I've got fully covered: discs 1 & 2 are the former "Vocal Works with Orchestra" set, then follow the five other orchestral discs (including the *Magicien orchestrateur" one), all RSO Stuttgart/Holliger.

However, in the Chamber Works I've got a gap or two and can't figure out if those can be filled by single discs - having the three Korstick discs (CDs 5-7), the "Music for Clarinet" (CD 1), "Chamber Music with Flute" (CD 2 #4-24) and "Chansons bretonnes" (there these two boxes have a gap), it would be a bit annoying having to get the new box.

What I'm missing is:
- all of disc 3 (Portrait de Daisy Hamilton plus Oboe and Bassoon sonatas w/piano, french horn solo sonata, Stèle funéraire for 3 flutes)
- the viola sonata (disc 4 - the "Chansons bretonnes" disc instead has Debussy's cello sonata and is thus 20 minutes shorter).

Have those been released previously on SWR/Hänssler? Or did they but them from elsewhere? In the current index on their website, the only reference for these pieces is the box:

Even with the redundancies, that is a temptation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on November 14, 2017, 11:42:31 PM

What I'm missing is:

None of the orchestral discs that were released individually contain La Méditation de Purun Baghat. I'm not sure when this work was recorded and why it wasn't released with the other recordings in their original form. I'm going to have to see if there's a download for this work since I don't need that orchestral set as I own all of the individual releases like you.

king ubu

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2017, 05:26:12 AM
None of the orchestral discs that were released individually contain La Méditation de Purun Baghat. I'm not sure when this work was recorded and why it wasn't released with the other recordings in their original form. I'm going to have to see if there's a download for this work since I don't need that orchestral set as I own all of the individual releases like you.

Right! I had seen that but forgot about it when I wrote the post above ... hm. Form the Chamber set I miss quite a bit but getting the Orchestra set for just that ... this IS annoying!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on November 15, 2017, 05:40:35 AM
Right! I had seen that but forgot about it when I wrote the post above ... hm. Form the Chamber set I miss quite a bit but getting the Orchestra set for just that ... this IS annoying!

Indeed. As I mentioned, I hope I can find that work as a download or something.

king ubu

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 15, 2017, 05:51:56 AM
Indeed. As I mentioned, I hope I can find that work as a download or something.

Well, I have the Zinman recording now, so that's alright ... might go for the chamber set just fill the gaps though.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Mirror Image

Quote from: king ubu on November 15, 2017, 07:09:17 AM
Well, I have the Zinman recording now, so that's alright ... might go for the chamber set just fill the gaps though.

Yeah, I bought the chamber set not too long ago. I'm not as familiar with Koechlin's chamber music as I should be. This will change soon enough.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 24, 2011, 06:02:31 PM
Thought I would revise this thread...

Seeing as many have contributed to this thread already (and many years ago), I would like to see where Koechlin stands with all of you today? Does his music still interest you? Have you discovered any more works that you're particularly impressed with?

Got any recommendations?

I only have Zinman's and Segerstam's recordings, but I have ordered many of the recordings offered by Hanssler with Holliger conducting.

Maybe I missed it if you have commented before, John . . . what are your thoughts on Zinman VS. Segerstam here?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2011, 09:38:39 AM
Yes, the live applause after the end of each piece is what turned me of to this specific recording. I only own Zinman's and Segerstam's, which the Segerstam as you probably know is incomplete. I think Zinman has the edge over Segerstam as well. I think the orchestra plays better and the audio quality has better clarity.

Ah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Ken B on April 30, 2015, 05:21:54 PM
Careful Nate! John tricked me into wasting $ on The Jungle Book!
You've been warned!

>:D :laugh: :P

Actually I liked his chamber music and small scale stuff. Just not the bloated behemoth orchestral stuff.

You don't care for La Méditation de Purun Bhagat??!!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Well, I just read the thread from start to . . . today.

It was . . . kind of nostalgic, in unexpected ways.  Revisiting posts by both Sara (Lethevich) and Luke.  And (now) Scarps.

But it was really straightforward research . . . I needed to know if I should fetch in the Zinman or Segerstam recording of Jungle Book, and the discussion here was super helpful.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Zeus

The crowds chant: Zin - Man!  Zin - Man!  Zin - Man !!!

But can you trust the wisdom of crowds?
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

SymphonicAddict

Because of the current Jungle Book discussion, my curiosity was piqued, so I played this CD:

My first reactions: extremely singular and fantastic music in there. Where had these works been all my life? I already knew his string quartets (btw, wonderful), but these works exceeded my expectations by far. The orchestration and the atmosphere Koechlin created in these works are with no equal. I'll have to give them more listens to get their secrets.

Rons_talking

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 06, 2018, 12:59:29 PM
Because of the current Jungle Book discussion, my curiosity was piqued, so I played this CD:

My first reactions: extremely singular and fantastic music in there. Where had these works been all my life? I already knew his string quartets (btw, wonderful), but these works exceeded my expectations by far. The orchestration and the atmosphere Koechlin created in these works are with no equal. I'll have to give them more listens to get their secrets.

I agree 100%. His sound-world is so unique and advanced. Perhaps not every work of his is great, but there is greatness in much of his music. I stumbled upon Jungle Book on the back of a Messiaen  LP as a student...lucky me!