Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Løvfald on March 06, 2023, 02:24:00 PMGreat and singular music indeed, although I don't know that recording (I'm only familiar with the Zinman recording). From this composer I also consider Vers la voûte étoilée to be another exceptional and very poignant piece. This is a splendid recording of it:

Just listening to this now and Vers la voûte étoilée is indeed an incredibly beautiful composition. Some terrific liner notes by our fellow GMGer Jens F. Laurson @SurprisedByBeauty

pjme

Quote from: pjme on August 12, 2015, 06:01:41 AMYes that is indeed the (only) recording of these Chorals for "open air festivals/ popular festivals". But the sound is dated and definitely not top notch.
If I'm not mistaken they are on Spotify.

Peter

I love this music! Crisp, fresh, notes of light acidity and yet grand...
This Japanese group sounds better than the Dondeyne/Gardiens de la Paix, band...

Karl Henning

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 02, 2023, 07:11:12 AMJust listening to this now and Vers la voûte étoilée is indeed an incredibly beautiful composition. Some terrific liner notes by our fellow GMGer Jens F. Laurson @SurprisedByBeauty
I've been tepid about the recording, much as I love Vers la voûte étoilée, due to uncertainty trumping curiosity viz. the Symphony. But notes by our @SurprisedByBeauty cast another light on the matter entirely.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 02, 2023, 08:16:55 AMI've been tepid about the recording, much as I love Vers la voûte étoilée, due to uncertainty trumping curiosity viz. the Symphony. But notes by our @SurprisedByBeauty cast another light on the matter entirely.

;D  Ha! Thanks for the -- I think -- compliment.  8)

Franco_Manitobain

First listen to this recording. One of the most remarkable and colourful orchestral works I've ever heard from any composer. So incredibly captivating!

I do prefer the Segerstam recording to this one, it would seem.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Lovers of the colours and liquidity of the piano Les Heures Persanes will also love the colours and liquidity of Leendert de Jonge's Les Chants de Nectaire here

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SonicMan46

Well, has been 2 years since my last post in this thread, so decided to pull out my Koechlin collection - still 14 discs as seen in the attachment. SWR Music has released two 7-CD boxes of the chamber and the orchestral works (probably already own much of this music, some in the same recordings).

But interested in Vols. 1 & 3 (V. 2 is Les Heures Persanes; already own the Stott recording) of the piano music with Michael Korstick - any comments? Some reviews are attached, all good except for one of V. 1 (Clements from 'The Guardian') - also curious in the The Seven Stars Symphony - seem to be a handful of recordings but worth owning?  Thanks all - Dave

Spotted Horses

The smaller the resources, the better the music, in Koechlin. As the ensemble get smaller it gets harder to take refuge in diaphanous chord voicings, and he has to actually write music! I think my favorite work by Koechlin (and the first I heard) is the Idyl for two Clarinets, Op 155

One and a half minutes of bliss.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington