Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2011, 05:07:21 PM
You don't own The Jungle Book? ??? These are Koechlin's most well-known compositions. Anyway, tell me about the two orchestral recordings you have on Hanssler and what you think about them. I'm anxious to hear your impressions of the music.

Now MI, how many people even own 8 discs of this guy's music?  ;) ;D

I've taken note of the Jungle Book and has been added to my 'wish list' (or for you my 'purchase list'!)

Give me a couple of days to listen to the recordings requested until I have some 'off' days - Dave  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan on April 25, 2011, 05:13:22 PM
Now MI, how many people even own 8 discs of this guy's music?  ;) ;D

I've taken note of the Jungle Book and has been added to my 'wish list' (or for you my 'purchase list'!)

Give me a couple of days to listen to the recordings requested until I have some 'off' days - Dave  :)

Will do, Dave. Actually, interestingly enough, when the Hanssler recordings I ordered arrive, I will own exactly 8 recordings of this nut job's music. :) I'm a sick, sick man. I plan on purchasing more.

DavidW

I've ordered that Zinman Jungle Book recording. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnfan on April 25, 2011, 05:57:49 PM
I've ordered that Zinman Jungle Book recording.

A wonderful recording. The best recording available (or was available) of these works. Zinman is an unlikely conductor of this type of repertoire, but he surprised me with just how well he knew the music and the BRSO perform admirably well. The sound quality, as typical with most 1990s RCA recordings I've encountered, is excellent.

DavidW

I've only heard Zinman in Beethoven, Schumann and Gorecki.  He strikes me from those recordings as favoring transparent, lightly textured swift performances, let the music speak for itself kind of guy.  Fingers crossed same conducting style in Koechlin. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnfan on April 25, 2011, 06:10:29 PM
I've only heard Zinman in Beethoven, Schumann and Gorecki.  He strikes me from those recordings as favoring transparent, lightly textured swift performances, let the music speak for itself kind of guy.  Fingers crossed same conducting style in Koechlin. :)

Yes, the conducting in his Koechlin is very direct. The music definitely speaks for itself. Zinman is a good conductor, I hope I didn't create any doubt that you may have thought that I felt differently, but this is not the case at all. I was merely commenting that Zinman is not particularly known for conducting the music of the Impressionistic composers.

Mirror Image

I just can't get enough of The Jungle Book. I'm listening to it again for the fifth or sixth time in the past three days. I'm one sick puppy. :)

jowcol

Now Playing:  Koechlin's Chant Funebre, which is gorgeous.

For his piano works: The most essential to me are the Andante Quasi Adagio, and the cycles the Old Country House (you will need to look up the name in French), Paysages et Marines, and the Persian Hours.  There are moments in them that I feel belong on the same shelf as Debussy's Preludes and Ravel's Mirroirs(sp?)
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

cilgwyn

I don't really see why a Koechlin thread can't have as many posts as Havergal Brian. He's just as original,quirky,eccentric,individualistic,ambitiotious and unfairly neglected. Furthermore,(and I'm not knocking Brian!) his range is far more eclectic and daring in scope. Koechlin also wrote some outsize works,although none of them quite as record breaking as the 'Gothic' or the ever elusive 'Prometheus Unbound'! More Koechlin posts please!
Of unrecorded works,I hope I will eventually get to hear his 'Symphony of Hymns' amongst many others. Hanssler would be ideal for such projects.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jowcol on April 26, 2011, 05:42:20 AMNow Playing:  Koechlin's Chant Funebre, which is gorgeous.

This is a choral work with orchestra right? I've heard it was beautiful. I believe it's on this recording which I have coming:

[asin]B000E1P26C[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 26, 2011, 09:04:38 AM
I don't really see why a Koechlin thread can't have as many posts as Havergal Brian. He's just as original,quirky,eccentric,individualistic,ambitiotious and unfairly neglected. Furthermore,(and I'm not knocking Brian!) his range is far more eclectic and daring in scope. Koechlin also wrote some outsize works,although none of them quite as record breaking as the 'Gothic' or the ever elusive 'Prometheus Unbound'! More Koechlin posts please!
Of unrecorded works,I hope I will eventually get to hear his 'Symphony of Hymns' amongst many others. Hanssler would be ideal for such projects.

Yes, I agree, but I may be a little biased. ;) :D Anyway, yes, Koechlin was very much his own man and I suppose this loner quality that he projects ,not only through his music, but through his personality as well, resonates with me.

Mirror Image

Does anyone know how to pronounce Koechlin's name? I need help with this as my French is horrible. Thanks.

bhodges

This site, www.forvo.com, is pretty good, and they actually have a Koechlin (albeit not Charles):

http://www.forvo.com/search/Koechlin/

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on April 26, 2011, 09:47:31 AM
This site, www.forvo.com, is pretty good, and they actually have a Koechlin (albeit not Charles):

http://www.forvo.com/search/Koechlin/

--Bruce

Thanks Bruce, but the last name was spoken so fast that I didn't really catch it. I repeated it a few times. What I got from it is "Kay-clun." Is this correct?

bhodges

Someone else with more French than I should probably weigh in, but for the first syllable: form your mouth as if to say "Kirk," but then actually say "Keck." The second syllable is closer to "Lohn," with a very short "o" and a very mild, almost dropped "n."

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on April 26, 2011, 10:01:02 AM
Someone else with more French than I should probably weigh in, but for the first syllable: form your mouth as if to say "Kirk," but then actually say "Keck." The second syllable is closer to "Lohn," with a very short "o" and a very mild, almost dropped "n."

--Bruce

Okay, I got it! Keck-lohn.

jowcol

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 09:10:43 AM
This is a choral work with orchestra right? I've heard it was beautiful. I believe it's on this recording which I have coming:

[asin]B000E1P26C[/asin]

That's the one.  A fine album.

You DID order the one with Dr. Fabricus, I hope?
Duke Ellington

jowcol

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 26, 2011, 10:06:03 AM
Okay, I got it! Keck-lohn.

One of the dangers of researching Koechlin on the web is that you may hit several sites for the Bollywood Actress Kalki Koechlin.  I went over dozens of photos before I realized I was in the wrong place.

Duke Ellington

Mirror Image

Quote from: jowcol on April 26, 2011, 10:21:51 AM
That's the one.  A fine album.

You DID order the one with Dr. Fabricus, I hope?

Yes, I ordered all of the Koechlin recordings with Holliger conducting.