Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: mjwal on April 27, 2011, 04:12:31 AM
I am picking up this thread on an older post here, as it resonates with me in a specific way. I too haven't heard the Holliger version of Heures Persanes, which in its orchestral form is one of my favourite pieces ever, but judging by the other Holliger-led recordings of Koechlin I suspect that it is high on clarity and low on suggestiveness - lacking what Adrian Corleonis always calls "divination" - so I will stick with Segerstam, who is also fine with the Buisson ardent and Sur les flots lointains etc (when will Naxos start reissuing these?). The Korstick recording of the piano version strikes me as very much in the Holliger vein: it lacks suggestive mystery for my taste.

How can you judge the Holliger recordings without even hearing them? You're other comments were interesting, but this quoted post above is puzzling to me.

cilgwyn

Nuh! I prefer the girl in the Harold LLoyd films (no,not the one who became his wife). Oh and what about Louise Brooks? Didn't Koechlin feel ANYTHING for Louise Brooks? Good God!
Or what about Mae West? Although I get a feeling Koechlin wouldn't have been on her list to 'come up and see her some time'! Mae preferred musclemen. A pity. A 'Mae West Symphony' by Koechlin could have been fun.

cilgwyn

Actually,she would probably have made mincemeat out of him!

mjwal

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2011, 07:04:35 AM
How can you judge the Holliger recordings without even hearing them? You're other comments were interesting, but this quoted post above is puzzling to me.
Actually, this is puzzling to me, since I have heard the other Holliger recordings, in fact I have a couple of them, though not the Heures  - I was just suggesting that I might not prefer the Holliger version of the Heures. I do appreciate his recordings of K, they are so excellent that their deficiency (to my ears) is all the more striking.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Mirror Image

Quote from: mjwal on April 27, 2011, 10:03:39 AM
Actually, this is puzzling to me, since I have heard the other Holliger recordings, in fact I have a couple of them, though not the Heures  - I was just suggesting that I might not prefer the Holliger version of the Heures. I do appreciate his recordings of K, they are so excellent that their deficiency (to my ears) is all the more striking.

Ah, okay, sounds good. :)

Mirror Image

I'm not sure if anybody knows, but is Holliger going to continue his Koechlin series? There's still a bunch of orchestral works that have yet to be recorded.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mjwal on April 27, 2011, 04:12:31 AM
so I will stick with Segerstam, who is also fine with the Buisson ardent and Sur les flots lointains etc (when will Naxos start reissuing these?).

Naxos has reissued those recordings. The CD was delivered to me today:

Bargain basement presentation though. No liner notes whatsoever so I don't know why Pascale Rouse-Lacordaire is mentioned on the cover. Did he make the "for strings" arrangement of Sur les flots lointains?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2011, 04:27:12 AM

Bargain basement presentation though. No liner notes whatsoever so I don't know why Pascale Rouse-Lacordaire is mentioned on the cover. Did he make the "for strings" arrangement of Sur les flots lointains?

Sarge
Not available in the UK as of yet at least...

But I'm more curious as to whether you were able to secure the 7 stars symphony at a reasonable price, and how?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 27, 2011, 07:19:50 AM
Nuh! I prefer the girl in the Harold LLoyd films (no,not the one who became his wife). Oh and what about Louise Brooks? Didn't Koechlin feel ANYTHING for Louise Brooks? Good God!
Or what about Mae West? Although I get a feeling Koechlin wouldn't have been on her list to 'come up and see her some time'! Mae preferred musclemen. A pity. A 'Mae West Symphony' by Koechlin could have been fun.

Louise Brooks? Mae West? You must like bad girls ;)  (From that era my favorites include Hedy Lamarr and Faye Wray...and yes, Brooks).

I don't know why Koechlin was obsessed with Lilian Harvey. He did compose her movement in the Seven Stars' Symphony before he'd even seen her films so he was attracted to her on looks alone. The wholesome girl-next-door type? The obsession came later. Harvey tended to play good girls (at least in the films I've seen). Maybe it was that sweetness that attracted him?

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: The new erato on April 28, 2011, 04:42:44 AM
Not available in the UK as of yet at least...

But I'm more curious as to whether you were able to secure the 7 stars symphony at a reasonable price, and how?

Not exactly reasonable but not insane either: 35 Euro including shipping from an Amazon DE seller.

Sarge

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2011, 04:52:57 AM
Not exactly reasonable but not insane either: 35 Euro including shipping from an Amazon DE seller.

Perhaps you can offer 15 Euro and get just three stars.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

pjme

Pascale Rousse - Lacordaire is an "ondiste" , a musician who plays the ondes Martenot.

P.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: pjme on April 28, 2011, 05:23:30 AM
Pascale Rousse - Lacordaire is an "ondiste" , a musician who plays the ondes Martenot.

P.

Ah...thank you.

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2011, 04:27:12 AM

Sarge

That's the bad things about that CD-R recordings from Naxos. No liner notes, so for me this recording isn't even an option unless I can an original.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 28, 2011, 06:51:20 AM
That's the bad things about that CD-R recordings from Naxos. No liner notes, so for me this recording isn't even an option unless I can an original.

I'm enjoying the music, but yeah, it's so cheaply made and yet costs more than a real Naxos CD. I won't buy any others.

Sarge

mjwal

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on April 28, 2011, 05:12:29 AM
Perhaps you can offer 15 Euro and get just three stars.
As I pointed out in an earlier mail, you can get the 7 *s symphony quite cheaply in a Sony two disc compilation of Escales symphoniques francaises - from Amazon.fr marketplace for 9,51 €. Amazing bargain.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mjwal on April 28, 2011, 08:44:45 AM
As I pointed out in an earlier mail, you can get the 7 *s symphony quite cheaply in a Sony two disc compilation of Escales symphoniques francaises - from Amazon.fr marketplace for 9,51 €. Amazing bargain.

Four CDs actually, and new from Amazon for only €12. Amazing indeed. But I wanted the original packaging and booklet.

Sarge

Scarpia

Just what I need, another composer, recordings of whose works are all out-of-print.   :P

Luke

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 28, 2011, 09:15:10 AM
Four CDs actually, and new from Amazon for only €12. Amazing indeed. But I wanted the original packaging and booklet.

Sarge

Got my copy just now for 10 pounds. Thanks guys, I'd never seen that set before!

Luke

BTW my only Koechlin contribution - I admire the pieces I know, and what I know best is Les Heures Persanes, which I know in both versions and which I play myself in their piano incarnation too. Fabulous writing for the instrument. Something in the style - the piano style, the notation style, the mysticism and sensuality - reminds me of Jolivet, a composer we hardly see mentioned round here. Not just Jolivet, but I thought I'd throw his name into the mix!