Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Has anyone here who can read music ever study a score by Koechlin?

Luke

Plenty of piano scores, but not orchestral ones. They are quite hard to come by, you have to be looking for them specifically, and when it comes to physical copies of scores that's not generally how I work (which is why I have such an eclectic collection!). Online they're also tricky to get - none on IMSLP for instance. But some of the piano music, as I say, I do have, and I've played through much of it. Les heures persanes is the finest of his piano pieces that I have played.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Luke on May 13, 2011, 01:41:10 PM
Plenty of piano scores, but not orchestral ones. They are quite hard to come by, you have to be looking for them specifically, and when it comes to physical copies of scores that's not generally how I work (which is why I have such an eclectic collection!). Online they're also tricky to get - none on IMSLP for instance. But some of the piano music, as I say, I do have, and I've played through much of it. Les heures persanes is the finest of his piano pieces that I have played.

Is his music difficult to learn? I imagine the orchestral works could be troublesome.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 11, 2011, 05:24:03 PMSo anyway, this Koechlin dude...

eyeresist, did you ever end up buying any recordings?

eyeresist

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2011, 08:52:44 AM
eyeresist, did you ever end up buying any recordings?

Sorry, it usually takes a couple of months for me to move from initial enthusiasm to actually getting my hands on a disc. In this case, I have just recently splurged at Amazon, so will have to give the wallet a rest for a little while. And then there is the time it takes to ship to Australia.... So sadly it will be a while before I have anything useful to say here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 15, 2011, 06:18:31 PM
Sorry, it usually takes a couple of months for me to move from initial enthusiasm to actually getting my hands on a disc. In this case, I have just recently splurged at Amazon, so will have to give the wallet a rest for a little while. And then there is the time it takes to ship to Australia.... So sadly it will be a while before I have anything useful to say here.

I see. Hmmm....

karlhenning

I'm continuing rather late to this party . . . but I did find a new copy of Les Heures persanes, Opus 65 for $10 (incl. shipping) from a 3rd-party — that isn't you, shedding an extra copy, MI? ; )

Post-recital, I'll check out the discs I've already got at home . . . .

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:38:07 AM
I'm continuing rather late to this party . . . but I did find a new copy of Les Heures persanes, Opus 65 for $10 (incl. shipping) from a 3rd-party — that isn't you, shedding an extra copy, MI? ; )

Orchestra or piano version?

karlhenning

Orchestra:

[asin]B000EQICCI[/asin]

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:40:30 AM
Orchestra:

[asin]B000EQICCI[/asin]

I see, Luke had spoken highly of the piano score and Stott's recording has been lingering in my shopping cart for a while now.

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 17, 2011, 11:41:59 AM
I see, Luke had spoken highly of the piano score and Stott's recording has been lingering in my shopping cart for a while now.

Thanks, I remembered Luke in connection with the piece, but I hadn't marked which version . . . here's hoping the orchestral version isn't a wash-out!

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:47:46 AM
Thanks, I remembered Luke in connection with the piece, but I hadn't marked which version . . . here's hoping the orchestral version isn't a wash-out!

Quote from: Luke on May 13, 2011, 01:41:10 PM

And to think, if I'd only read further up this very page . . . I've pulled the trigger on the Stott, too.

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:49:31 AM
And to think, if I'd only read further up this very page . . . I've pulled the trigger on the Stott, too.

I have a recording of the Jungle book which I picked up for three bucks or so, which leaves me more inclined to sample piano music rather than more orchestral music.  What has inhibited me with this piece is the question of whether it is a exotic "Persian" set piece, or genuine French-Impressionist music. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:38:07 AM

Nope that's not me. I love The Persian Hours. It's such a textural work with so many vivid colors.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 11:40:30 AM
Orchestra:

[asin]B000EQICCI[/asin]

This is a great performance. In fact, the whole series with Holliger are worth owning, that is, if you like Koechlin's music.

Lethevich

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 17, 2011, 11:56:08 AM
I have a recording of the Jungle book which I picked up for three bucks or so, which leaves me more inclined to sample piano music rather than more orchestral music.  What has inhibited me with this piece is the question of whether it is a exotic "Persian" set piece, or genuine French-Impressionist music.

Dude, stfu and listen to it! Pretend it's called Compositon No.3 ;D

Seriously, it's great music, Koechlin had a really wonderful way with the piano, although I would personally suggest the CPO disc with paysages et marines just as much (les heures persanes is quite lengthy) - or just that piece in general :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 17, 2011, 12:16:23 PMKoechlin had a really wonderful way with the piano

He also had a wonderful way with the orchestra...just saying.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on May 17, 2011, 12:16:23 PM
Dude, stfu and listen to it! Pretend it's called Compositon No.3 ;D

:o  Ok, ordering now, clicking with eyes averted, for my purchase of, ahem, composition number 3. 

Mirror Image

Karl, I'm curious what all do you own by Koechlin?

Lethevich

Scarpia: no more outbursts, I promise :P

Heures persanes is quite special in the chronology of French music - a centre ground between Messiaen's vingt regards, and earlier 'impressionist' pieces :) Its date of composition of course reflects more of the latter, but it has that perfect weirdness to it.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.