Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
Karl, I'm curious what all do you own by Koechlin?

I'm curious, myself! I'm not sure. Will investigate & report. One thing's certain: I've not yet listened to a note...

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 04:21:28 PM
I'm curious, myself! I'm not sure. Will investigate & report. One thing's certain: I've not yet listened to a note...

??? You haven't heard a note of Koechlin's music? ???

karlhenning

No, but I came very close a couple of Junes ago...

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 12, 2009, 03:42:36 AM
And this is the day.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 04:37:39 PM
No, but I came very close a couple of Junes ago...

What's taking you so long to listen to the music, Karl?

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2011, 05:12:51 PM
What's taking you so long to listen to the music, Karl?

Nothing in particular! I "condensed" my library some time ago by putting many many discs into a few CD 'wallets' . . . the delay here is a simple intersection of Point A [Koechlin is not in my own first or even second tier (in fairness, he is an unknown)] with Point B [searching in the right wallet at the right time].

Mystery solved! Our man on Long Island long ago sent me The Jungle Book, and the disc of Vers la Voûte étoilée and Le Docteur Fabricius. I think I'll give that last piece a spin.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 17, 2011, 05:33:05 PM
Nothing in particular! I "condensed" my library some time ago by putting many many discs into a few CD 'wallets' . . . the delay here is a simple intersection of Point A [Koechlin is not in my own first or even second tier (in fairness, he is an unknown)] with Point B [searching in the right wallet at the right time].

Mystery solved! Our man on Long Island long ago sent me The Jungle Book, and the disc of Vers la Voûte étoilée and Le Docteur Fabricius. I think I'll give that last piece a spin.

Well for many years I put Koechlin on the to-get-to list and never made much time for him. I listened to The Jungle Book and thought it was interesting but it didn't make much of an impression on me. Fast forward a year or so later, I'm hooked. The harmonic aspect of his music just completely boggles my mind. Such lushness and, yet, the music remains direct. I found his music utterly enchanting. Hopefully, it will make some kind of impression on you and if it doesn't at least you tried.

karlhenning

QuoteYour Amazon.com order of "Charles Koechlin: Les Heur..." has shipped!

Mirror Image

I wonder how Karl is getting on with Koechlin?

DavidW

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2011, 07:36:31 AM

Well his big performance is today, so you might want to give him some time. :)

SonicMan46

Well, I believe that Koechlin will be my music for the afternoon - Persian Hours (have to agree w/ MI - quite atmospheric and dynamic, and often slowly paced - not to worry about 'Persian' sounds), Jungle Book for a second listen, and then some windy music (love both of those discs!) -  :D

Scarpia

Based on enthusiastic remarks from Lethe and Luke, ordered Stott's recording of "composition number 3."

[asin]B00008WQBA[/asin]

Now I have one each of orchestral music and piano music release, just have to find some time to listen.   :P

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 19, 2011, 09:58:25 AM
. . . "composition number 3."

Hah!

I've listened to "composition number 8" some three times now. It's growing on me. (Not sure just why I decided to concentrate on this one, rather than listen to the 3 (or 6, if you count one composite work by its components) I have at my immediate disposal.

karlhenning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 19, 2011, 02:48:43 PM
I've listened to "composition number 8" some three times now. It's growing on me.

And maybe in some way it is benefiting from all the Mompou listening I've been doing of late (which is no slight at all to Mompou).

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 19, 2011, 09:01:33 AM
Well, I believe that Koechlin will be my music for the afternoon - Persian Hours (have to agree w/ MI - quite atmospheric and dynamic, and often slowly paced - not to worry about 'Persian' sounds), Jungle Book for a second listen, and then some windy music (love both of those discs!) -  :D

I want to get some of Koechlin's chamber music at some point and those two recordings have flown under my radar as of late. Do you enjoy those recordings? What do you think about The Jungle Book?

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2011, 07:36:31 AM

Well, I've listened to Le Docteur Fabricius some four times.  [Twice, it was my lapse-into-slumber music, which is actually (cf. Harpo Marx) a great compliment.]  And I find I have liked it better, and thought yet better of it, each time.

I think I am sticking with my intuitive Hovhaness comparison (although I do hear the occasional RVW resonance, which I suppose may harmonize with Dundonnel's comparison to H. Brian). There is an artful simplicity, and a 'formal guileless-ness', which I find very winning.  I am a little puzzled at this piece's designation as a "tone-poem," partly because it is so apparantly fragmented into sections . . . strikes me more as a kind of suite of character pieces.

I am looking forward more than ever to Les Heures persanes (in both versions).

cilgwyn

You're doing tremendous work for Koechlin here,Mirror Image! I'd love to start a Tournemire thread that would have this many posts!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2011, 05:58:07 PM
I want to get some of Koechlin's chamber music at some point and those two recordings have flown under my radar as of late. Do you enjoy those recordings? What do you think about The Jungle Book?

Hey MI - the Jungle Book is just excellent - a kaleidoscopic soundscape w/ a  variety of styles that can astound at times - Zinman does a superb performance in this repertoire - I'll need a couple more listens along w/ following the liner notes for more appreciation - a definite keeper for me!  :D

Now concerning Koechlin's chamber works, I have mainly the wind pieces (flute, clarinet, & saxophone) along w/ string quartets & a piano quintet - these are all wonderful experiences (from an early 20th century perspective) w/ a smorgasbord of styles (impressionistic, neo-classic, and some atonal influences) - much to be enjoyed; as a beginning I would suggest the saxophone disc (checkout the Federico Mondelci Website, the saxophonist for some samples (seem to be zip files but probably a lot better than the short snippets from other sites) - let us know what you obtain!  Dave  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2011, 09:51:31 AM
Well, I've listened to Le Docteur Fabricius some four times.  [Twice, it was my lapse-into-slumber music, which is actually (cf. Harpo Marx) a great compliment.]  And I find I have liked it better, and thought yet better of it, each time.

I think I am sticking with my intuitive Hovhaness comparison (although I do hear the occasional RVW resonance, which I suppose may harmonize with Dundonnel's comparison to H. Brian). There is an artful simplicity, and a 'formal guileless-ness', which I find very winning.  I am a little puzzled at this piece's designation as a "tone-poem," partly because it is so apparantly fragmented into sections . . . strikes me more as a kind of suite of character pieces.

I am looking forward more than ever to Les Heures persanes (in both versions).

Excellent, Karl. I'm so happy you're getting along good with Koechlin's music. It is very mystical. I think of it as music of the cosmos. Koechlin isn't a perfect composer, as not many are, but I think anyone with an ear for harmonic color and music that is outside of a comfortable box will most definitely find something to enjoy in this music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 20, 2011, 02:04:22 PM
You're doing tremendous work for Koechlin here,Mirror Image! I'd love to start a Tournemire thread that would have this many posts!

Thank you, cilgwyn! :D Obviously, I didn't start this thread, but I probably would have had I joined this forum a few years ago.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 20, 2011, 03:48:06 PM
Hey MI - the Jungle Book is just excellent - a kaleidoscopic soundscape w/ a  variety of styles that can astound at times - Zinman does a superb performance in this repertoire - I'll need a couple more listens along w/ following the liner notes for more appreciation - a definite keeper for me!  :D

Now concerning Koechlin's chamber works, I have mainly the wind pieces (flute, clarinet, & saxophone) along w/ string quartets & a piano quintet - these are all wonderful experiences (from an early 20th century perspective) w/ a smorgasbord of styles (impressionistic, neo-classic, and some atonal influences) - much to be enjoyed; as a beginning I would suggest the saxophone disc (checkout the Federico Mondelci Website, the saxophonist for some samples (seem to be zip files but probably a lot better than the short snippets from other sites) - let us know what you obtain!  Dave  :)

Excellent Dave! I'm glad you're enjoying The Jungle Book. You know, it takes a special person to appreciate Koechlin. A person has to be interested in composers who were subtle in their writing and if one is an attentive listener than Koechlin rewards especially in multiple listens.

Thanks for filling me in on Koechlin's chamber music. I will be acquiring the recordings for wind instruments soon (Chandos, Hanssler Classics respectively).