Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Here is the post by Karl I was referring to a few posts ago:

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 20, 2011, 09:51:31 AM
Well, I've listened to Le Docteur Fabricius some four times.  [Twice, it was my lapse-into-slumber music, which is actually (cf. Harpo Marx) a great compliment.]  And I find I have liked it better, and thought yet better of it, each time.

I think I am sticking with my intuitive Hovhaness comparison (although I do hear the occasional RVW resonance, which I suppose may harmonize with Dundonnel's comparison to H. Brian). There is an artful simplicity, and a 'formal guileless-ness', which I find very winning.  I am a little puzzled at this piece's designation as a "tone-poem," partly because it is so apparantly fragmented into sections . . . strikes me more as a kind of suite of character pieces.

I am looking forward more than ever to Les Heures persanes (in both versions).

This was a joy to read from start to finish.

Mirror Image

I read that Koechlin wanted to become an astronomer, but his father wanted him in military uniform. I think this fascination with space and not knowing what exactly is out there comes across in his music. Like I mentioned earlier, a mystical type of feeling.

Mirror Image

I contacted Hanssler Classic today and I asked them if they were going to continue the orchestral pieces with Heinz Holliger conducting. Hopefully, I'll hear something in a day or two. I'll keep all the Koechlin fans informed as to what they say.

Mirror Image

Has anyone ever tried contacting Hanssler before? I wonder how long it takes?

Mirror Image

Got an email from Hanssler Classic and they said my question has been submitted to the "service team." I'm not sure what this means, but hopefully I'll get an answer soon. Us Koechlin fans want to know if we can expect more recordings from Holliger!

cilgwyn

Sounds promising. I used to write letters to Chandos and Hyperion years ago trying to get them interested in various neglected composers. They always responded. I remember one letter from Chandos (I'll have to try and find it) telling me that Brian Couzens himself had read my letter & that they were planning a series of Ethel Smyth cd's. It's over 15 years now & the cd of the 'Serenade' and 'Concerto for Violin,horn & orchestra' remains their only Smyth cd,to date. On the other hand they said Mr Couzens was very interested in my suggestions for recordings of Joseph (or Josef) Holbrooke & according to some postings on the Chandos forum by the MC himself there is some possibility now that his interest may finally bear some long delayed fruit!
Which reminds me to write a letter (or email) 'Timpani' about an enthusiasm of my own,the symphonies of Charles Tournemire.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2011, 08:27:41 PM
Got an email from Hanssler Classic and they said my question has been submitted to the "service team." I'm not sure what this means...

I believe they handle all the corporate 'wet work'.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 24, 2011, 03:55:30 AMSounds promising.

Well we Koechlin fans need more miracles to happen. I mean a few recordings a year would even be nice. I would LOVE to hear someone like Boulez or even Tortelier conduct some of Koechlin's music. Can you imagine Pierre Boulez doing the whole cycle of The Jungle Book? Wow, now that would be something, especially if it is with the Cleveland Orchestra who are no strangers to Impressionistic music. I guess a man can dream, right?

Anyway, I got an email now stating that my inquiry has been passed onto "product management."

Mirror Image

Let's see how long Hanssler can give me run around before answering my question. Even if they don't put out any more Koechlin orchestral recordings, I have enough to savor for years to come, but the thought "why didn't they continue with the series" will always be in the back of my mind.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2011, 10:14:20 AM
Let's see how long Hanssler can give me run around before answering my question. Even if they don't put out any more Koechlin orchestral recordings, I have enough to savor for years to come, but the thought "why didn't they continue with the series" will always be in the back of my mind.

The good news: Hannsler hears your prayers and will finish the series

The bad news: André Rieu will be conducting the Vienna Strauss Orchestra... :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 24, 2011, 10:36:21 AM
The good news: Hannsler hears your prayers and will finish the series

The bad news: André Rieu will be conducting the Vienna Strauss Orchestra... :-\

8)

The good news: I don't ever have to hear a note by Andre Rieu again.

The bad news: Hanssler sends me an email stating that it would rather put out another recording Beethoven's 9th, then a Koechlin recording.

??? >:( :'(

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2011, 10:39:56 AM

The bad news: Hanssler sends me an email stating that it would rather put out another recording Beethoven's 9th, then a Koechlin recording.

??? >:( :'(

Really? They actually said that? Well, good news for me then. My 9th collection is languishing at 85.... :-\

8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on May 24, 2011, 10:49:19 AM
Really? They actually said that? Well, good news for me then. My 9th collection is languishing at 85.... :-\

8)

No, I'm joking, Gurn.

karlhenning

We're buying a keg for Gurn when the count reaches 125 . . . .

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2011, 10:53:24 AM
No, I'm joking, Gurn.

Aw, you trickster, you had me grasping at straws! Why, I oughtta... >:(   :D

8)

Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 24, 2011, 10:39:56 AM

My guess is that this release paid for all of your Koechlin sessions.

[asin]B00009QH6R[/asin]

Have it yet, Gurn?

cilgwyn

I got one from emi saying they'd rather record Des O' Connor than Joseph Holbrooke.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 24, 2011, 10:59:43 AM

[asin]B00009QH6R[/asin]

Have it yet, Gurn?

Now, I'm depressed...thanks a lot. :'(

;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 24, 2011, 11:31:57 AM
I got one from emi saying they'd rather record Des O' Connor than Joseph Holbrooke.

EMI are a bunch of assholes. They would rather do a lot of things than listen to the customers.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 24, 2011, 10:59:43 AM

[asin]B00009QH6R[/asin]

Have it yet, Gurn?

Does a fat baby poop?   :)

8)