Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Great! Thank you for the responses...only been on these forums for several days and my wish list on Amazon.com has never contained so many items! (which i mainly use to remind myself of recordings to checkout)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 02, 2011, 07:08:31 PM
Great! Thank you for the responses...only been on these forums for several days and my wish list on Amazon.com has never contained so many items! (which i mainly use to remind myself of recordings to checkout)

You're welcome. Koechlin has been a major breakthrough for me this year even though I've probably been listening to his music for 2 years or so. His music never connected with me until recently.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leon on June 02, 2011, 06:43:40 PM
Well, I think I said what I wanted, in that I think he understands orchestral color so that he can create beautiful effects with how he combines the instruments, and what registers he uses with his placement of the various notes of a chord.   A chord that to begin with is somewhat undefined in many instances.  And his colors will shift, similar to a kaleidoscope, the chord moves subtly across different groups of instruments and slowly a new color emerges - it is all very finely done and it is a skill that not all composers exhibit.

I stole this applause from Sgt. Rock.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leon on June 03, 2011, 07:11:46 AM
Seems I'm getting a lot of applause today.

Thanks!  I know it won't last ...

:D

Yes, anytime you champion the music of an unknown composer you will get an applause from me.

cilgwyn

Glad to see this thread is still going.

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 04, 2011, 11:07:59 AM
Glad to see this thread is still going.

I think the only thing for people to do now is listen and absorb the music.

TheGSMoeller

Got my first disc today...
[asin]B0001WGEJ8[/asin]

Beautiful, transcendent, at times intense
"La Révolte. Choral, 'Aus tiefer Noth", track 11, from Le Docteur Fabricius sent chills down my spine, while "La Nature, la Vie, l'Espoir", track 13, paints the most tranquil of images.
The music here never feels rushed, not referring to tempo, but to the progression of the overall piece, of the melodies...if that makes any sense.   ;D
This is some serious music, absolutely loving this. 

"The Jungle Book" is on it's way!!

Thanks again for the recommendations.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2011, 08:32:03 PM
Got my first disc today...
[asin]B0001WGEJ8[/asin]

Beautiful, transcendent, at times intense
"La Révolte. Choral, 'Aus tiefer Noth", track 11, from Le Docteur Fabricius sent chills down my spine, while "La Nature, la Vie, l'Espoir", track 13, paints the most tranquil of images.
The music here never feels rushed, not referring to tempo, but to the progression of the overall piece, of the melodies...if that makes any sense.   ;D
This is some serious music, absolutely loving this. 

"The Jungle Book" is on it's way!!

Thanks again for the recommendations.

I'm glad you enjoyed this recording as much as I have. I know sometimes somebody who is enthusiastic about a composer doesn't always mean other people will agree, but it's always nice to hear people enjoy the music that I love and to get their perspectives of it. I'm anxious to hear your impressions of The Jungle Book once you have heard it.

The more you listen to Koechlin, the more the depth of the music begins to reveal itself. There are many layers and textures to explore in his music that I could get lost on one work for weeks and come to think of it, I have. :)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2011, 08:39:17 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed this recording as much as I have. I know sometimes somebody who is enthusiastic about a composer doesn't always mean other people will agree, but it's always nice to hear people enjoy the music that I love and to get their perspectives of it. I'm anxious to hear your impressions of The Jungle Book once you have heard it.

The more you listen to Koechlin, the more the depth of the music begins to reveal itself. There are many layers and textures to explore in his music that I could get lost on one work for weeks and come to think of it, I have. :)

Agreed, each listen is different, and better.
was thinking of this CD for after "Jungle", enjoying the orchestral pieces right now, maybe move to chamber/piano later on...
[asin]B00000463B[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2011, 08:51:37 PM
Agreed, each listen is different, and better.
was thinking of this CD for after "Jungle", enjoying the orchestral pieces right now, maybe move to chamber/piano later on...
[asin]B00000463B[/asin]

That's a pretty mediocre recording. In fact, after hearing the Holliger recordings. I'm actually quite disappointed with Segerstam's conducting on his recordings. Le buisson ardent isn't very well played and the sound quality leaves much desired. May I suggest another Holliger recording for you:

[asin]B000095SL0[/asin]

Though you get another performance of La course de printemps, which is incredibly played, you get one of my favorite Koechlin compositions: Le buisson ardent. This work, made up of two parts, is a mesmerizing work full of so much lyricism and color.

I'm not sure how you feel about vocal/choral works with orchestra, but Koechlin's writing in this realm is also as unique and wonderful as his purely orchestral works. Checkout this 2-CD set sometime:

[asin]B000E1P26C[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2011, 09:21:07 PMGreat! You were right about the first recommendation, so I will take note of your choices.

Yes, Koechlin's music, like wine, only gets better with age.

TheGSMoeller

You were right about the first CD, so I will take note of these new recommendations...thanks again, MI.
I'll keep you updated on my Koechlin travels.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 04, 2011, 09:27:18 PM
Yes, Koechlin's music, like wine, only gets better with age.

Speaking of wine, I may have had too much which explains my problems with quoting all night.  :P

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2011, 09:29:48 PM
Speaking of wine, I may have had too much which explains my problems with quoting all night.  :P

??? :P :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 04, 2011, 09:28:07 PM
You were right about the first CD, so I will take note of these new recommendations...thanks again, MI.
I'll keep you updated on my Koechlin travels.

You're welcome. Enjoy the music.

Mirror Image

Time to revive this thread and let it come back towards the top. I simply can't have this thread being buried again.

I still have not received an email from Hanssler Classic. I hate to say it but it looks like the Koechlin project is now dead. :'( Well now I hope his music is taken up by Tortelier. Man, I can just imagine what this conductor can do with this music. He has such an incredible ear for French music.

Speaking of Y. P. Tortelier, there is a recording of Florent Schmitt coming out in a month or so. He conducted the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra in this recording. I simply can't wait to hear this recording.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 07, 2011, 06:11:26 PM
Time to revive this thread and let it come back towards the top. I simply can't have this thread being buried again.

I still have not received an email from Hanssler Classic. I hate to say it but it looks like the Koechlin project is now dead. :'( Well now I hope his music is taken up by Tortelier. Man, I can just imagine what this conductor can do with this music. He has such an incredible ear for French music.

Speaking of Y. P. Tortelier, there is a recording of Florent Schmitt coming out in a month or so. He conducted the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra in this recording. I simply can't wait to hear this recording.

I'll help to keep this thread on top.
Just received this today...

Only listened to "Three Poems" so far, astonishingly beautiful, great vocal writing, making me anxious for his Vocal Works with Orchestra disc.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 07, 2011, 10:12:45 PM
I'll help to keep this thread on top.
Just received this today...

Only listened to "Three Poems" so far, astonishingly beautiful, great vocal writing, making me anxious for his Vocal Works with Orchestra disc.

It has been brought to my attention that I just post the same thing over and over again, so all I will say is I'm glad you're enjoying the music. :)

cilgwyn

I haven't noticed you post the same thing over and over again.

cilgwyn

I haven't noticed you post the same thing over and over again.