Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2011, 09:03:49 AM
I have met a few Koechlin fans online. The person who runs the Facebook fan page is a very knowledgeable person that I've been learning a great deal from. It's also nice to meet people who are devoted to Brian or Ives, because I think these composers have written some of the most powerful music in the 20th Century.

But to actually witness your favorite composer's music in person brings your appreciation to a whole new level I'm sure. I wish I could have been there for Brian Gothic performance. I can't even imagine what you and the other GMG members must have felt during this performance. Words simply can't describe this kind of experience.

We're all busy trying, as you will have noticed by the HB thread going berserk the past 48 hours... To be very honest, I am still so moved by the experience that I can even choke up just thinking about it. That's real love for you!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 19, 2011, 09:08:07 AM

We're all busy trying, as you will have noticed by the HB thread going berserk the past 48 hours... To be very honest, I am still so moved by the experience that I can even choke up just thinking about it. That's real love for you!

Yes, and that's what I expected this performance would do for you, Johan. I can't even imagine what you felt through the performance especially seeing that huge orchestra and those huge walls of choirs.

I would really love to see Koechlin's The Jungle Book live, but I'm afraid the only chance I would have to see it is if I moved to France. :P

TheGSMoeller

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2011, 09:13:26 AM
Yes, and that's what I expected this performance would do for you, Johan. I can't even imagine what you felt through the performance especially seeing that huge orchestra and those huge walls of choirs.

I would really love to see Koechlin's The Jungle Book live, but I'm afraid the only chance I would have to see it is if I moved to France. :P

I'll tell you what I felt, but only now can express. When the shattering climax of the third movement was reached, the lights went on, illuminating the choirs. It is a cataclysmic moment, the choirs stood up, the soloists entered from two sides slowly walking to the front of the stage - it was as if the giant chords at that moment had woken humanity itself.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 19, 2011, 09:16:57 AM
Is this the same Holliger from the Koechlin recordings?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2011/07/19/138507570/heinz-holligers-soulful-oboe

Yes, that's him, Greg. Holliger was, in his career, first and foremost an oboist. He later turned to composing and conducting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on July 19, 2011, 09:19:27 AM

I'll tell you what I felt, but only now can express. When the shattering climax of the third movement was reached, the lights went on, illuminating the choirs. It is a cataclysmic moment, the choirs stood up, the soloists entered from two sides slowly walking to the front of the stage - it was as if the giant chords at that moment had woken humanity itself.

It sounds like an amazing night, Johan.

Mr Bloom

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 19, 2011, 09:13:26 AM
Actually, this would be a bad idea. While having tons of great composer, France sucks at playing them. Koechlin is probably played more often in Germany. From what I know, Le livre de la jungle has been played once in Paris in the last ten or twenty years, by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. The Orchestre de Paris has only played Koechlin once, it was La Course de Printemps in 94, conducted by Segerstam.

Joaquimhock

Quote from: Mr Bloom on August 13, 2011, 05:45:25 AM
Actually, this would be a bad idea. While having tons of great composer, France sucks at playing them. Koechlin is probably played more often in Germany. From what I know, Le livre de la jungle has been played once in Paris in the last ten or twenty years, by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France. The Orchestre de Paris has only played Koechlin once, it was La Course de Printemps in 94, conducted by Segerstam.

The direct opposite of UK. British composers are played in UK but not (much) abroad and French composers are played abroad and not much in France (except Debussy, Fauré and Ravel). Even Berlioz, apart from the Symphonie Fantastique is much more played and loved in UK than in France. Thank you Mr Colin Davis !
"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fenêtre"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mr Bloom on August 13, 2011, 05:45:25 AM
Actually, this would be a bad idea. While having tons of great composer, France sucks at playing them.

Tell this to Jean Martinon and he would slap the shit out of you.

Mr Bloom

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 07:43:22 AM
Tell this to Jean Martinon and he would slap the shit out of you.
Jean Martinon died 35 years ago.

eyeresist

Quote from: Joaquimhock on August 14, 2011, 01:10:54 AM
The direct opposite of UK. British composers are played in UK but not (much) abroad and French composers are played abroad and not much in France (except Debussy, Fauré and Ravel). Even Berlioz, apart from the Symphonie Fantastique is much more played and loved in UK than in France. Thank you Mr Colin Davis !

La France - Land without music? ;)

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Listening to The Jungle Book after a month hiatus and it's just as magical as I remember it. This is truly, in my estimate, one of the masterpieces of the 20th Century. I would love to be able to hear this in concert. In terms of French music, the Cleveland Orchestra would do well in this music as they have much experience thanks to Boulez. The Montreal Symphony Orchestra would also be excellent. I wonder if somebody can email Nagano and see if he'll do this work? If Nagano agreed to perform the work, then I would be on the first plane to Montreal. :) This music seems right up his alley.

cilgwyn

"Jean Martinon died 35 years ago",
Ouch! A bit of a blooper there.
Keep the droll one liners coming,Mr Bloom.
Most amusing.

Mr Bloom

Some people have serious cognitive issues.

cilgwyn

vandermolen

Koechlin's 'Vers la Voute etoilee' is one of the best discoveries I have made through the forum - a hauntingly beautifull work.  He is among a group of largely unknown French composers whose music I increasingly play.  Others are Sauguet (especially Symphony 1), Ropartz and Tournemire.

By the way John (MI) I think that the VW image on your avatar is my favourite photo of the great man!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 21, 2011, 01:38:28 PM
Koechlin's 'Vers la Voute etoilee' is one of the best discoveries I have made through the forum - a hauntingly beautifull work.  He is among a group of largely unknown French composers whose music I increasingly play.  Others are Sauguet (especially Symphony 1), Ropartz and Tournemire.

By the way John (MI) I think that the VW image on your avatar is my favourite photo of the great man!

Thanks for the comment about my avatar, Jeffrey. It is, indeed, a great picture.

Vers la voûte étoilée is a beautiful work and one my favorite Koechlin compositions, because in the span of 12 minutes we (the listeners) are treated to music that reaches for the cosmos. Another one of my favorite Koechlin compositions, outside of the The Jungle Book, is Le buisson ardent Parts I & II. I count them as one work, but both a quite different from each other and were written many years apart from each other. My understanding is he wrote Part II first and many years later added Part I. Kind of strange how this worked out, but, like I said, I think of it as one work because of the time frame it took him to decide on what he wanted to do with these musical ideas. Le Docteur Fabricius is another interesting work that showcases, yet again, one of Koechlin's favorite instruments: the Ondes Martenot.

karlhenning

Vers la voûte étoilée and Le Docteur Fabricius are very nice; I shouldn't trade Les heures persanes for either of them, though. (Just me, perhaps.)

TheGSMoeller

I know I've mentioned this before, but Koechlin's Piano Quintet Op. 80 is wonderful, I don't see much discussion about it. In fact, there may only be one recording of the piece.

[asin]B004J8H4W6[/asin]

For some reason, I always find a composers chamber works to speak louder in displaying their compositional talents, sort of a final test for me when I explore a new composer.  :)
I know there are discs of Koechlin music for clarinet and oboe, anyone have these discs? Or heard them at least?