Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Koechlin Organ Works. Bet you didn't know he had any!

karlhenning

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 02, 2011, 06:32:56 AM

I did not know Koechlin had wrote solo organ music. I had only thought he wrote a lot of solo piano music. I'm not too interested in the organ works, but I do want to hear the solo piano music at some point and I'll continue with the Hanssler series.

karlhenning

It doesn't surprise me at all, because he wrote so very much, and because he was French. And I think his musical language would suit organ music very nicely.

Mirror Image

The section Résponse de l'Homme in Le Docteur Fabricius is so ravishingly beautiful that it makes me feel completely at peace with the world. All my worries, fears are washed away by this sumptuous movement.

http://www.youtube.com/v/J2m3hrfeQig

Of course, you can't beat the audio quality of the real thing, but this gives you an idea.

The new erato

Really beautiful and representative of the part of Koechlin's work I love most.

cilgwyn

I put on the Hanssler cd of Koechlin's 'Persian Hours' the other night. Pure escapism. What a difference to the usual postcard response.
Marvellous.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on September 02, 2011, 10:27:43 AM
Really beautiful and representative of the part of Koechlin's work I love most.

I endorse this message. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 02, 2011, 10:39:20 AM
I put on the Hanssler cd of Koechlin's 'Persian Hours' the other night. Pure escapism. What a difference to the usual postcard response.
Marvellous.

Are you listening to the original solo piano version or the orchestrated version?

Coco

Quote from: The new erato on September 02, 2011, 06:32:56 AM

That looks great — I like the parts for organ in some of the larger works and his music seems suited to the idiom.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2011, 07:58:48 PM
Are you listening to the original solo piano version or the orchestrated version?

Well, the Hanssler CD would be the orchestration, yes? Or: which pianist has recorded the piece for the Hanssler label, d'you know, MI?

cilgwyn

Michael Korstick. Vol 2 of the Hanssler Piano works series is 'Persian Hours' (I have food on the stove so I'm not going to try and spell the French,just now).
(Koechlin,organ music? That sounds intriguing!)

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 05:05:14 AM
Michael Korstick. Vol 2 of the Hanssler Piano works series is 'Persian Hours' (I have food on the stove so I'm not going to try and spell the French,just now).
(Koechlin,organ music? That sounds intriguing!)

I still need to get the three volumes of Koechlin solo piano music on Hanssler. The reason I've been holding back is because solo piano isn't one of my favorite genres of classical music no matter how good the music really is.

TheGSMoeller

Here are a few lines from the liner notes of...

[asin]B001PVWXGM[/asin]

Peace Regained or A Transfiguration of the Abominable by Ludovic Florin

"A profoundly honest human being, convinced of art's ability to help the enlightenment and improvement of mankind, Koechlin put his imagination and his will at the heart of each of his works."

Referring to the Piano Quintet, Op. 80...

"Indeed, this is an attempt by Koechlin to translate the suffering of war into "pure" music, chamber music."
"Although it does not seem to be so, performing the first movement requires great command...He uses the most minute nuances and adds numerous directions on the score, such as "quite far away", "quite equal and with no hurry" or "in a hush", the better to get his ideas across"

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 03, 2011, 09:43:34 AM
Here are a few lines from the liner notes of...

[asin]B001PVWXGM[/asin]

Peace Regained or A Transfiguration of the Abominable by Ludovic Florin

"A profoundly honest human being, convinced of art's ability to help the enlightenment and improvement of mankind, Koechlin put his imagination and his will at the heart of each of his works."

Referring to the Piano Quintet, Op. 80...

"Indeed, this is an attempt by Koechlin to translate the suffering of war into "pure" music, chamber music."
"Although it does not seem to be so, performing the first movement requires great command...He uses the most minute nuances and adds numerous directions on the score, such as "quite far away", "quite equal and with no hurry" or "in a hush", the better to get his ideas across"

Sounds like a good disc, Greg. I have to say as lovely as Koechlin's chamber music is, he really shines in orchestral music where a full palette of colors are at his disposal. One listen to Three Poems from The Jungle Book is all one needs to recognize what kind of command he had over an orchestra. But the chamber music is lovely for what it is, a focused, more constricted form of musical expression. I just prefer that larger palette.

Mirror Image

Here's another section of Koechlin's Le Docteur Fabricius that I love, especially from 8:25-8:50:

http://www.youtube.com/v/UCtFpUyNPCY

Mirror Image

I did end up buying the rest of the Koechlin Hanssler series, the ones I bought were all three volumes of the piano music. I'm really looking forward to hearing the piano version of The Persian Hours and do some side-by-side comparisons.

Hattoff

I've put a clip up on the 'name that piece the game' thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,18633.1740.html

It was orchestrated by Charles Koechlin, anyone here care to have a guess at the composer?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Hattoff on September 10, 2011, 02:04:52 AM
I've put a clip up on the 'name that piece the game' thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,18633.1740.html

It was orchestrated by Charles Koechlin, anyone here care to have a guess at the composer?

It's already been guessed Cole Porter and you said that was correct.