Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I've always liked The Meditation of Purun Bhagat from The Jungle Book. It has that great Koechlin feel of time and space:

http://www.youtube.com/v/OAy-pMCJims

karlhenning

Quote from: Hattoff on September 10, 2011, 02:04:52 AM
It was orchestrated by Charles Koechlin, anyone here care to have a guess at the composer?

Tangentially, you are reminding me that I need to spend more time with Debussy's Khamma.

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2011, 03:04:29 PM
But, in all honesty, I'm not an asshole, in fact, I'm far from it.

Hilarious!

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 11, 2011, 08:35:53 AM
Tangentially, you are reminding me that I need to spend more time with Debussy's Khamma.

Yes, I need to refresh my memory of this work as well. I have to say that Jeux was a strange work for Debussy especially given the premise of the work:

"The scene is a garden at dusk; a tennis ball has been lost; a boy and two girls are searching for it. The artificial light of the large electric lamps shedding fantastic rays about them suggests the idea of childish games: they play hide and seek, they try to catch one another, they quarrel, they sulk without cause. The night is warm, the sky is bathed in pale light; they embrace. But the spell is broken by another tennis ball thrown in mischievously by an unknown hand. Surprised and alarmed, the boy and girls disappear into the nocturnal depths of the garden."

[Taken from Wikipedia]

Muzition

I said in another thread that I'm learning to p lay 2 clarinet pieces by Koechlin.

They are two of his 12 "Monodies" for solo unaccompanied wind instruments.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Muzition on September 11, 2011, 10:56:05 AM
I said in another thread that I'm learning to play 2 clarinet pieces by Koechlin.

They are two of his 12 "Monodies" for solo unaccompanied wind instruments.

Excellent! If you get them to where you're confident enough to record them, I'd love to hear them. 8)

Muzition

I do intend to record them and put them on Youtube, as I can't find any other videos of them on Youtube.

karlhenning

Quote from: Muzition on September 12, 2011, 08:17:24 AM
I do intend to record them and put them on Youtube, as I can't find any other videos of them on Youtube.

Who publishes these, Muzition, or are they PD?

Muzition

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 12, 2011, 08:39:26 AM
Who publishes these, Muzition, or are they PD?

It says "Collection Jean-Francois VERDIER" and "Gerard Billaudot Editeur" on the front of my score.

Muzition

If you guys don't mind me being egotistical and posting a video of my own (not so good) clarinet playing, I finished recording the Two Monodies for Clarinet by Koechlin.

Here they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nr1IoUZcQ

I added some annotations to the video to point out some (hopefully) interesting things about the music.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Muzition on September 27, 2011, 04:13:16 PM
If you guys don't mind me being egotistical and posting a video of my own (not so good) clarinet playing, I finished recording the Two Monodies for Clarinet by Koechlin.

Here they are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7nr1IoUZcQ

I added some annotations to the video to point out some (hopefully) interesting things about the music.

Very good. Thanks for sharing.  ;D 

Mirror Image

I wish I could judge the work, but I've never been a fan of solo instrumentals, but I applaud the effort to learn something as obscure as one of Koechlin's works.

Lisztianwagner

Koechlin is one of the latest composers I started listening to, but I really like his music, it's very expressive and melodious; I especially love the tone poems, the symphonies and the Ballade for Piano & Orchestra.

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 04, 2011, 06:58:30 AM
Koechlin is one of the latest composers I started listening to, but I really like his music, it's very expressive and melodious; I especially love the tone poems, the symphonies and the Ballade for Piano & Orchestra.

Ilaria

I'm glad you connect with Koechlin's music, Ilaria. His music is unlike anything I've ever heard. It's so personal and unique.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 04, 2011, 06:58:30 AM

Ilaria

Ilaria, have you purchased any of the Hanssler recordings yet?

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2011, 09:18:01 PM
Ilaria, have you purchased any of the Hanssler recordings yet?

Not yet, I'm sorry John; but I've been considering to buy the set of Koechlin's Piano Works.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 11, 2011, 07:11:52 AM
Not yet, I'm sorry John; but I've been considering to buy the set of Koechlin's Piano Works.

Actually, Ilaria, I would buy the 2-CD set of Vocal Works with Orchestra first. This is such an exquisite set. Juliane Banse is the vocalist and she's simply gorgeous.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2011, 07:46:03 AM
Actually, Ilaria, I would buy the 2-CD set of Vocal Works with Orchestra first. This is such an exquisite set. Juliane Banse is the vocalist and she's simply gorgeous.

Hmm, after having a look at the pieces included in the set, it seems to be excellent! All right, I may purchase that set first :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 11, 2011, 08:17:39 AM
Hmm, after having a look at the pieces included in the set, it seems to be excellent! All right, I may purchase that set first :)

I would also try and listen to audio samples if you can.