Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

My favorite Charlie K works are vocal ones. So I'd recommend them first as well.

In fact, I find most other works I have of his have a distinct French vocal character to them.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on October 11, 2011, 08:26:34 AM
My favorite Charlie K works are vocal ones. So I'd recommend them first as well.

In fact, I find most other works I have of his have a distinct French vocal character to them.

Good observation. I would say this is particularly true in the way he writes his melodies. They're long, drawn out, but have hypnotic effect on the listener. What's also worth noting is the harmony found behind these melodies. I was telling a friend of mine on FB that he was very much a harmonic minded composer. The melodies aren't the main attraction in his music, but they do lure you in.

Lisztianwagner

Thank you for the suggestions, I agree; as a mattter of fact, I prefer Koechlin's orchestral works to the piano ones.....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 11, 2011, 08:49:12 AMI prefer Koechlin's orchestral works to the piano ones.....

Me too. :D I do like a lot of his chamber music too, but his orchestral writing is so individual and different that exploring it first was the way to go.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 11, 2011, 08:49:12 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, I agree; as a mattter of fact, I prefer Koechlin's orchestral works to the piano ones.....

I am comfortable being the contrarian in the group : )

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 11, 2011, 11:05:39 AM
I am comfortable being the contrarian in the group : )

You the contrarian of the group? No, not Karl Henning. 8)

karlhenning

I wouldn't know how ; )

Quote from: springrite on October 11, 2011, 08:26:34 AM

Charlie the K . . . I like it!

pjme

The Belgian Royal Library (Brussels) and the Université Libre de Bruxelles organised a (modest) exposition ( December 2003-January 2004) on conductor Franz André . At the same time a catalogue was published, dealing mainly with André's correspondence.
The catalogue ( alas, French only) can ( I suppose) still be bought at the Bibliothèque ( ISBN 2-87093-146-8)

Although his name seems largely forgotten now (no recordings on CD, I think)  Franz André was an incredibly active musician and he premiered an amazing amount of contemporary music with his "Grand orchestre symphonique de la Radio Belge ". Several composers dedicated works to him: Milhaud: symph.nr 7, Sauguet: symph.nr 3, Tansman: Musique pour orchestre, Chevreuille: symph.nr 6 etc.

I mention his name here because he can be seen as one of the very few conductors to have actually defended and programmed  Koechlin's music during the composer's life. In Paris, Roger Désormière had premiered several works , but from 1937 on Franz André became more and more interested . André invites Koechlin regularly in Brussels and both men work intensely on the preparation of the (often) difficult scores. Several letters testify to the minute attention Koechlin gives to "orchestral nuance". F.ex., In 1942 he sends André a letter with a host of corrections /changes in La course de Printemps ( mostly brass & perc.)
Franz André eventually will conduct and /or première several scores by Koechlin between 1936 and 1949:
Symphony nr 1
Le livre de la jungle – complete
La nuit de Walpurgis
Symphonie d'Hymnes
Ballade for piano & orchestra, Poème for horn  & orch.,
Le docteur Fabricius

I wonder if some of these performances ( Brussels, London, Paris, Turin) still exist in the radio archives...
P.

karlhenning

For obvious reasons of sympathy, I am always glad to learn of conductors who stand by living composers.

pjme

Apart from working with Koechlin, the correspondence of Franz André offers letters by Arthur Bliss, Emmanuel Bondeville, Benjamin Britten (they performed the pianoconcerto), Claude Delvincourt, Oscar Espla, Honegger, Ibert, Milhaud, Messiaen, Poot, Chevreuille, Jean Rivier, Tansman, Sauguet etc. Letters that deal mostly with the actual performance of brandnew works.
P.

cilgwyn

Okay,that's France's answer to Havergal Brian & Langgaard at the top,as well! Although,Tournemire may be a possible outside contender (He needs a record label like Hanssler? Timpani,perhaps?)
I love Tournemire (or what I've managed to hear),but Koechlin is more daring.
(Mind you,that Tournemire Seventh is pretty strange? :o)
I hope Hanssler are going to give us some more,before long!

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on February 25, 2012, 08:00:16 AM
Okay,that's France's answer to Havergal Brian & Langgaard at the top,as well! Although,Tournemire may be a possible outside contender (He needs a record label like Hanssler? Timpani,perhaps?)
I love Tournemire (or what I've managed to hear),but Koechlin is more daring.
(Mind you,that Tournemire Seventh is pretty strange? :o)
I hope Hanssler are going to give us some more,before long!

I have heard, from a legitimate source, that Holliger will release a new Koechlin recording of some of his orchestral arrangements and some of his own original compositions sometime this year. I don't know the date unfortunately.

cilgwyn

Good news! Just keep the old fingers (metaphorically) crossed,eh? :)

Dundonnell

I just thought that I should say that recordings of the two Koechlin numbered symphonies: No.1(1911-16) in a performance conducted by Manuel Rosenthal and No.2(1943-44) conducted by Constantin Silvestri are available for download from the usual place ;D ;D

I know that a number of us have been hoping to hear these for many years :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on February 26, 2012, 05:13:56 PM
What orchestra(s)?

French National Radio Orchestra(Rosenthal) and London Philharmonic Orchestra(Silvestri) :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Time to refresh this thread and say it's time I had a Koechlin revival. To celebrate the occasion, the Koechlin avatar is back. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 19, 2012, 04:50:18 PM
Time to refresh this thread and say it's time I had a Koechlin revival. To celebrate the occasion, the Koechlin avatar is back. 8)

He's Baaaaaaaack!  ;)

Mirror Image