Charles Koechlin(1867-1950)

Started by Dundonnell, November 10, 2008, 04:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Well I did say I wasn't an expert! ::) ;D I was just referring to the general sound world of Koechlin's music. Of course there is a connection,really. I think the comments on that other forum just annoyed me a bit!
On the plus side,they got me listening to some Koechlin,again! :)

cilgwyn

The comments I referred to are recent ones on the UC forum. I'm not a member & people are entitled to their opinions. I just some of them a bit daft,that's all! ::)

Mirror Image

All is well my friend. Don't sweat the small stuff! Enjoy the music! :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 04, 2012, 11:45:29 AM
The comments I referred to are recent ones on the UC forum. I'm not a member & people are entitled to their opinions. I just some of them a bit daft,that's all! ::)

Oh, there's daftness about, no question : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

cilgwyn

I would have been more subtle,but I had to phone my father! ;D Thus,the bad typing! But it's funny how negative reactions like that can get you going. A bad review or an unenthusiastic post & I'm thinking,'Right! I'm going to have another listen to that!' Partly,because you think they were wrong & also,just to make sure?! ::)

Both cds have been on repeat for a few hours,now. The songs on the first cd of the Zinman are particularly enjoyable. I'm going to have to put the cd on again! Incidentally,I tried the old Segerstam cd recently. Off it went! This is the one to listen to. Well,at least in my collection! The sound quality on those Marco Polo cds doesn't do Koechlin's music any favours. Music like this needs good sound quality as well as good playing. While his music is often very astringent,it is often very lush! It's the mix of astringency & luxuriant textures that is so extraordinary! Schmitt can be like that too! Like the opening of his Symphonie Concertante. I remember the Gramophone critic,reviewing the original AV release,advising his readers not to be put off by the dissonance of the opening. He was right! Some of it is almost impressionistic. An astonishing score and,as far as I can make out (after a perfunctory glance at Amazon) still the only recording available! :( And don't even get me started on the Tournemire Symphonies!! :( >:( Well,not in this thread,anyway!!! ;D Anyway,I'm getting dangerously off topic,here! ::)

My recording of the Seven Stars Symphony is the old Alexandre Myrat emi release. I liked the music before,but this time around I loved it & I have to say,I disagree entirely with Dundonnell's comments;although it's obviously not as consistent in inspiration or as astonishing as his 'Jungle Book cycle. Having said that,if it sounds as intriguing & haunting as it does in the old emi recording,what does it sound like in your own favoured recording,Mirror Image?! Unfortunately,a quick glance at Amazon reveals a page of deletions & rather high prices & like Tony Hancock,I'm on a bit of an economy drive right now! :( :(

Mirror Image

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 04, 2012, 01:17:31 PM
I would have been more subtle,but I had to phone my father! ;D Thus,the bad typing! But it's funny how negative reactions like that can get you going. A bad review or an unenthusiastic post & I'm thinking,'Right! I'm going to have another listen to that!' Partly,because you think they were wrong & also,just to make sure?! ::)

Both cds have been on repeat for a few hours,now. The songs on the first cd of the Zinman are particularly enjoyable. I'm going to have to put the cd on again! Incidentally,I tried the old Segerstam cd recently. Off it went! This is the one to listen to. Well,at least in my collection! The sound quality on those Marco Polo cds doesn't do Koechlin's music any favours. Music like this needs good sound quality as well as good playing. While his music is often very astringent,it is often very lush! It's the mix of astringency & luxuriant textures that is so extraordinary! Schmitt can be like that too! Like the opening of his Symphonie Concertante. I remember the Gramophone critic,reviewing the original AV release,advising his readers not to be put off by the dissonance of the opening. He was right! Some of it is almost impressionistic. An astonishing score and,as far as I can make out (after a perfunctory glance at Amazon) still the only recording available! :( And don't even get me started on the Tournemire Symphonies!! :( >:( Well,not in this thread,anyway!!! ;D Anyway,I'm getting dangerously off topic,here! ::)

My recording of the Seven Stars Symphony is the old Alexandre Myrat emi release. I liked the music before,but this time around I loved it & I have to say,I disagree entirely with Dundonnell's comments;although it's obviously not as consistent in inspiration or as astonishing as his 'Jungle Book cycle. Having said that,if it sounds as intriguing & haunting as it does in the old emi recording,what does it sound like in your own favoured recording,Mirror Image?! Unfortunately,a quick glance at Amazon reveals a page of deletions & rather high prices & like Tony Hancock,I'm on a bit of an economy drive right now! :( :(

The best Koechlin recordings have been on Hanssler Classics. The performances and audio quality certainly give this music full justice, so if you don't own Heinz Holliger's Koechlin recordings. Buy them now! :) They're much, much better than Segerstam's performances. Unfortunately, I do not own any recording of the Seven Stars Symphony. The James Judd recording has been out-of-print for quite some time and each time I find a used copy the seller is asking an arm and limb for it. I've heard the work on YouTube, but it didn't strike me as that remarkable. The works I mentioned are the ones that have impressed me the most.

cilgwyn

I believe you. My experience of Marco Polo cds is not one to write home about,quite frankly! While I can well recall my enthusiasm when they first emerged & they were very pioneering,fair play,in many ways (and thank you for that! :) I can't think of many occasions when I haven't preferred a replacement recording,when one has finally come along! ( Thankfully,I DO have the RCA recording of 'The Jungle Book Cycle' & there's just no comparison.
As to the Seven Stars Symphony. I DO like some of it,very much. But,having said that,the inspiration seems to fall off towards the end. Some movements are clearly more inspired than others and,l'm going to have to give it another listen,before I can really make up my mind! ::)
As to the 'Jungle Book Cycle? Well,there's just no comparison!! ;D It's astonishing,isn't it?! :)

Mirror Image

There are two recordings of the complete Jungle Book. One with Zinman, which is studio performance and Bedford which is live. I prefer Zinman by a large margin, but Bedford's is a good account, although the main problem with this recording is there's applause after each tone poem. But, anyway, you should definitely check out the Hanssler recordings. These will make your Koechlin appreciation much richer I'm sure.

StLukesguildOhio

Yes, the Hanssler recordings of Koechlin are quite fine... but the Chandos releases are also quite good. I "discovered" Koechlin some two or three years ago and was immediately enthralled. What I am still looking for is a good recording of his Les Chants de Nectaire for solo flute. Here is the only complete recording I have come upon:

http://www.bastamusic.com/product/leendert-de-jonge-les-chants-de-nectaire
Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea.
-John Ciardi

Nothing is more useful to man than those arts which have no utility.
-Ovid

cilgwyn

Which reminds me!!! ::) ;D I actually paid for & downloaded that work quite some time ago,when I was still a 'newbie' to that kind of thing! Unfortunately,it got scattered around my pc & the cds were mixed up,silly me!! :-[ As soon as I have the time I will sort the tracks out. I'm more 'savvy' about that sort of thing,now! At least,I hope I am?!! ;D I certainly like what I've heard!
I DO have the Hyperion/Helios cd 'Music for Flute',which includes some lovely songs,as well. There is some wonderful music on the cd,beautifully performed  & I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes that sort of thing!

Mirror Image

For me, the orchestral music is where Koechlin shines the brightest. I really do hope Holliger continues the series on Hanssler. The last installment was disappointing because of the lack of original compositions. Koechlin was a master orchestrator he doesn't need an entire recording dedicated to his orchestrations. The man wrote two treatises for this subject. That's enough! :) Let's get some more symphonic poems that have yet to be recorded out there where people can hear them. Come on Hanssler! Get your act together guys!

Karl Henning

The chamber arrangement of Paysages et marines is news to me.  The samples sound very nice . . . I think this could be my next Koechlin snaffle.  Either that or the Korstick recording of Les heures persanes . . . .

[asin]B007JYS0W0[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2013, 06:08:44 AM
The chamber arrangement of Paysages et marines is news to me.  The samples sound very nice . . . I think this could be my next Koechlin snaffle.  Either that or the Korstick recording of Les heures persanes . . . .

Or . . . the samples on this organ works disc I am finding enticing, as well.

[asin]B005B6HV78[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2013, 06:39:43 AM
Or . . . the samples on this organ works disc I am finding enticing, as well.

Well that looks like an enticing recording, especially after reading this MusicWeb Review - may just put in my Amazon cart!  Dave :) 

P.S. Plus would make an 'even dozen' of Koechlin CDs in my collection!  :D

Karl Henning

Which two of that dozen would you consider indispensable?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Any opinions on this 'un?  I like the idea of those two pieces, but the sample clips gave me a mixed impression of execution . . . .

[asin]B001PVWXGM[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2013, 07:30:11 AM
Which two of that dozen would you consider indispensable?

Hi Karl - just made a quick list (quoted below) of the 11 Koechlin recordings now in my collection (will likely add that organ disc soon) - don't know if I can really pick just two CDs - one from each category maybe?  The Jungle Book is outstanding and certainly one or several of the wind chamber discs would be strong candidates for me.

BTW - I just listened to the Piano Quintet & SQ No.3 - re-read the notes; both works were a reflection of the composer's experiences/feelings about WWI - different from his other composing (dissonance, anger, joys, etc.) - plus, the movement names in the PQ are evocative - The Obscure Wait of What Shall be...; The Enemy Attack - The Wound; Consoling Nature; Finale - The Joy.  Not sure that short snippets will help much on deciding a purchase?  Dave :)  P.S. - there is a quoted Fanfare review HERE!

QuoteOrchestral Work
  Jungle Book - Zinman - RCA
  Les Bandar-log et al - Holliger - Hanssler
  Le Docteur Fabricius et al - Holliger - Hanssler
  Les Heures Persanes - Holliger - Hanssler

Chamber Works
  Clarinet Pieces (piano) - Hanssler
  Flute Chamber Music - Hanssler
  Les Heures Persanes - Stott (piano) - Chandos
  Piano Quintet & SQ No.3 - Mecenat Musical
  Saxophone/Piano Pieces - Chandos
  String Quartets Nos.1/2 - Mecenat Musical
  Wind Works - Timpani

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

These are the 3 (out of my 6) that still get the most playtime. Very fine recordings. However, I would love to expand my Koechlin collection, perhaps more chamber.

Karl Henning

Well, as both you gents bespeak the Opp. 72 & 80 so heartily . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA