Another Walküre

Started by Brünnhilde forever, November 11, 2008, 04:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brünnhilde forever

One more Walküre.

The brand new Grand Theatre at Aix-en-Provence celebrated it's  2007 opening in grand style befitting the occasion: Wagner's Walküre was chosen. Just as the architect of the house, Vittorio Gregotti,  avoided pomp and frill, so did the director of the opera, Stéphane Braunschweig for the performance; lots of cool spaces, cool in colour and lighting, and most of the singers restrained in movements and display of emotion. The exception were the twins, Siegmund and Sieglinde, but I have seen more erotically involved couples than Robert Gambill and
Eva-Maria Westbroek. And what a fierce Mikhail Petrenko as Hunding; a perfect stand-and-deliver performance. I think he put his hand on his wife's shoulder once, end of emotion. The confrontation between Sir Willard White's Wotan and his wife Fricka, Lilli Paasikivi, was beautifully sung by both, but the battle of wills between them was more of the peaceful domestic dispute variety.

And so it went through all three acts. In German there is a word for it: Lahmarschig, and no, I won't translate, mostly because I can not think of an English equivalent, but maybe some other German speaking member will do it for me. What made  the entire performance live and kept me awake was the  Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Sir Simon Rattle being firmly center stage. The critic Shirley Apthorp had it right in her write-up in the September 2007 issue of Opera:

"The Berlin Philharmoniker turned Wagner's opulent score into an orgy of voluptuous sound, and Rattle let his musicians savour every phrase. Warm, lush string colours, flawlessly clean brass sound, meltingly formed woodwind solos, taut timpani – it was all there in the pit, in such seductive excess that everything additional seemed almost superfluous."

My main reason for buying this DVD was my curiosity of how White would handle Wotan, his first attempt at that role. I was very impressed with his Méphistophélès in the Salzburg performance and then again in Herbert Wernicke's Falstaff. Those two are good roles for him, but I feel that he is not ready yet for Wotan, or vice versa. As beautiful as his voice is, it does not have the required 'thunder'! But I have to praise White for his impeccable German, every word perfectly pronounced and phrased, as perfect I have seldom heard. – James Morris should take diction lessons from Sir Willard! –

I can not close without giving high praise to Eva-Maria Westbroek as Sieglinde "Youthful, vibrant, unflagging expressive strength and charisma" – using Apthorp's words again -  earned the singer a roof-raising round of well deserved applause. When Sir Simon lead the director Braunschweig on stage, I heard a few boos! He deserved them too!

(I am working on the photos!)

Brünnhilde forever

Here they are:

(poco) Sforzando

"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Brünnhilde forever

Quote from: Sforzando on November 11, 2008, 05:03:49 PM
Now there are 10?

Wrong!  :P

Luv, you didn't look at the shelve with the LVDs! I just counted twentyfour - 24 - a collection of CDs, DVDs and LVDs, and now divide this number by first acts only and complete operas!   :-*

T-C

Lis

Your impression is quite similar to mine, even though I listened only to part of this performance.

I think that the standouts in this performance are the Eva-Maria Westbroek as Sieglinde and Lilli Paasikivi as Fricka. And you haven't mentioned Eva Johansson's Brünnhilde. I presume that you didn't like her...

Are you familiar with Eva-Maria Westbroek performance as Katerina in the Opus Arte DVD of Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth Of Mtsensk (The one conducted by Mariss Jansons)?
She is very impressive there too.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 11, 2008, 04:14:02 PM
And so it went through all three acts. In German there is a word for it: Lahmarschig, and no, I won’t translate, mostly because I can not think of an English equivalent, but maybe some other German speaking member will do it for me.

Bloody/Damn slow.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brünnhilde forever

BINGO! - Your German is perfect, Jezetha!  :-*

Brünnhilde forever

The evaluation of 'bloody/damn slow' applies to the action on stage, definitely not in the orchestra pit!

The music has the twins rushing off, out of the house, but Braunschweig has them standing, facing each other and exchanging a chaste kiss. ::)

Wotan is storming on to the scene, after his favourite daughter who has dared to disobey him, but the director has Wotan simply walking across the stage, as if he just happened to meet this group of females.  ::)

And if my eyes don't at least moisten as soon as I hear the 'Leb' wohl' there is something very, very wrong with the direction.  ::)

The new erato

Quote from: T-C on November 11, 2008, 10:05:19 PM

Are you familiar with Eva-Maria Westbroek performance as Katerina in the Opus Arte DVD of Shostakovich's Lady Macbeth Of Mtsensk (The one conducted by Mariss Jansons)?
She is very impressive there too.

Simply outstanding.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 11, 2008, 05:19:59 PM
Wrong!  :P

Luv, you didn't look at the shelve with the LVDs! I just counted twentyfour - 24 - a collection of CDs, DVDs and LVDs, and now divide this number by first acts only and complete operas!   :-*

Someone's sense of humor seems to have been deactivated . . . .

Guido

I got it Sfz...

Seriously though, you have 24 recordings of this opera? Why??!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Brünnhilde forever

Easiest question to answer, Guido!

Because each performance on the variety of records has a different maestro conduct a different orchestra.

Each of the roles are sung by a different artist.

Each production is directed by a different director.

And on it goes. Variety, Guido!  ;D

Wendell_E

Quote from: Guido on November 12, 2008, 07:41:15 AM
I got it Sfz...

Seriously though, you have 24 recordings of this opera? Why??!

I know a guy who has 42!  :o  And the most recent list he sent me was from Feb. 2007, so I imagine it must be at least 50 by now.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

Brünnhilde forever

I have two more on VHS, had all forgotten about them. And there is the 2001 Seattle Ring on audio tape, recorded from the radio broadcast. Still got a bit to go get even with your friend. But that's not really the purpose of collecting so many productions. I simply love this opera and want to hear/see how different people produce and perform it.

BTW, I just learned from the Wagner expert, that I am wrong expecting the twins to dash off to behind the bushes at the end of Act I! Wagner's stage instructions has them slowly sinking to the floor and then the curtain come down really quick. To my ear, the music has them do nothing slow; And to even do it inside Hunding's house? I hope Sieglinde's nightcap concoction was very strong!  ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 12, 2008, 07:57:13 AM
Easiest question to answer, Guido!

Because each performance on the variety of records has a different maestro conduct a different orchestra.

Each of the roles are sung by a different artist.

Each production is directed by a different director.

And on it goes. Variety, Guido!  ;D

None of that requires you to have acquired them all.

Brünnhilde forever

Honey, nobody ever required of me to acquire anything! I am Free Will personified!  :-*

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 12, 2008, 10:04:59 AM
BTW, I just learned from the Wagner expert, that I am wrong expecting the twins to dash off to behind the bushes at the end of Act I! Wagner's stage instructions has them slowly sinking to the floor and then the curtain come down really quick. To my ear, the music has them do nothing slow; And to even do it inside Hunding's house? I hope Sieglinde's nightcap concoction was very strong!  ;D

Wagner's stage instructions say nothing about sinking to the floor, slowly or otherwise, or for that matter dashing off behind the bushes. (Hunding is out like a light; moreover, there's just been a storm, so the ground is still damp.) The curtain is however intended to fall quickly, presumably with the last cadence, which gives the twins 24 bars of ever accelerating (Immer schneller), raging (wüthend) music to get started in full view of the audience.

Brünnhilde forever

Sure glad got this all straightened out, and it was all my fault! I had misunderstood the message from a friend!

It always helps to read something at least twice before opening one's mouth! Remind me of that next time, Sforzando!  :-[

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Brünnhilde forever on November 12, 2008, 05:54:10 PM
Sure glad got this all straightened out, and it was all my fault! I had misunderstood the message from a friend!

Were you thinking of Isolde?  :D

Brünnhilde forever

Don't think so. It was the usual Teutonic logic and thouroughness: Two people standing, facing each other, kissing; next thing they are on the floor. How did they get there? Of course they were slowly sinking from a standing position to a supine one. I made up that in-between move!

Now isn't this all of the utmost importance? Dang near lost a good and hopefully understanding friend!  :-*