Author Topic: Jewish Composers  (Read 13075 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: Jewish Composers
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2022, 11:18:20 AM »
Interestingly enough, the names of the most famous 19C Jewish composers all started with M: Mendelssohn, Meyerbeer, Moszkowski, Mahler.  :)

In this respect, Moritz Moskowski (double M!) produced an excellent bon mot. To Hans von Buelow's statement "Bach, Beethoven, Brahms! Tous les autres sont des cretins!" he retorted "Mendelssohn, Meyerbeer, Moszkowski! Tous les autres sont des Chretiens!"  :laugh:

The other day I watched a documentary about Jewish composers and Broadway.  It was demonstrated that almost all of the composers of musical theater in New York were Jewish, with one notable exception of Cole Porter.  However, before Porter was ultimately successful he discovered that what his songs were missing was the "Jewish tinge" and if you analyze his most famous songs you can hear similarities between his melodies and traditional Jewish songs.

Jerome Kern
Irving Berlin
The Gershwins
Harold Arlen
Rodgers & Hart/Hammerstein
Alan Lerner and Frederick Loewe
Jerry Herman
Leonard Bernstein
Stephen Sondheim

The list is very long.

Offline Roy Bland

• God listens short prayers

Offline calyptorhynchus

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2022, 09:14:32 PM »
Was Peter Sculthorpe a jew? The reason I ask is that I vaguely remember noticing that he died in a Jewish hospital.

Answering this many moons later.... no he wasn't, it's just his local hospital was originally a Jewish hospital, now non-denominational.

Offline calyptorhynchus

• Veteran member
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2022, 09:21:20 PM »
Minna Keal had an interesting life and returned to composition at an advanced age. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minna_Keal

I like her Symphony and her Cello Concerto.