Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on January 15, 2009, 09:08:40 AM
I really don't have enough overall knowledge of Weinberg to say if the piece is one of his better works but it's certainly very good, I would recommend it. I only know the Rostropovich - does anyone know if there are any other recording around? (Not that I feel the Rostropovich lacking in any department whatsoever.)

Yes there is apparently-

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/sovrev/vainberg/vb10071.htm

Maciek

PaulR

I didn't see that in June Alto released the 2nd symphony and 2nd Chamber Symphony by Weinberg:

Does anyone have this?  If so, how is it?

Daverz

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 15, 2009, 09:23:45 AM
Yes there is apparently-

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ovar/sovrev/vainberg/vb10071.htm

I have this recording on a different label (Talent?) with a different coupling (Shostakovich CC1).  It is a good recording and quite good work.

PaulR

In case anyone is interested, on the 17th, CPO is releasing the 3rd volume of Weinberg's String Quartets with Quatuor Danel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O2MCL2/ref=pe_5080_13567560_snp_dp

Guido

The Rostropovich recording of the cello concerto is infinitely better than the other one available, even if the sound is a little dated - it's still a ravishing account.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Harry

Quote from: Ring of Fire on November 13, 2009, 04:38:29 PM
In case anyone is interested, on the 17th, CPO is releasing the 3rd volume of Weinberg's String Quartets with Quatuor Danel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002O2MCL2/ref=pe_5080_13567560_snp_dp

The SQ are not easy listening, its quite a ordeal to get through these depressions evoking music, at least for me. I am still trying to come over the first two volumes, so I am not all to sure that I will buy Volume III. Weinberg is even worse in creating depressions as Pettersson, no small fry either.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Interesting coincidence, that this thread comes back up the day after I had my first experience of Weinberg, at a concert last night dedicated in memory of the violinist Leonid Kogan (& conducted by his son Pavel).

They played the Weinberg/ Wajnberg/ Вайнберг (whatever) Violin Concerto, with soloist Ilya Grubert. I liked it, without being blown away by it - a nice piece, somewhat similar to DSCH when in his "Jewish" mode.

Have to admit that the Mahler 7th which followed was the highlight, though.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

springrite

Quote from: Harry on November 14, 2009, 03:41:53 AM
The SQ are not easy listening, its quite a ordeal to get through these depressions evoking music, at least for me. I am still trying to come over the first two volumes, so I am not all to sure that I will buy Volume III. Weinberg is even worse in creating depressions as Pettersson, no small fry either.

I wouldn't say Veinberg's music creats depression. It is more like personal solice in a depressive environment. It is certainly less depressing than Pettersson and Shostakovich. It is something people like me who lived through some of that period (cultural revolution, etc.) who can personally relate to this kind of expression. It is sometimes quite like some of my poetry in the early 80's.

I have a dozen or so Veinberg CDs, but I just got the one that I did not have -- the much talked about cello concerto in the Rostropovich Brilliant box. I will listen to it this week.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

SonicMan46

Just wanted to join this thread - linked here by Maciek - thanks!  Dave  :)

Just acquired my first disc of this composer (post partly quoted from the 'listening thread' - comments below and anxious to obtain more!  :D

Weinberg, Mieczyslaw (1919-1996) - Concertos (cello, flute, & clarinet) - my first disc of this Soviet composer (apparently considered as a triumvirate w/ Prokofiev & Shosty) - not sure 'where' to go w/ him from here; he wrote about 2 dozen symphonies, 17 string quartets, and much more music!  CPO is putting out the SQs, but would like to see a 'box set' materialize?   ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan on February 07, 2010, 02:00:53 PM
Just wanted to join this thread - linked here by Maciek - thanks!  Dave  :)

Just acquired my first disc of this composer (post partly quoted from the 'listening thread' - comments below and anxious to obtain more!  :D

Symphony 5 is the best symph IMHO, has echoes of Shostakovich Symphony No 4 - especially at the end - there is a good Chandos recording. The choral No 6 is very moving too, but only to be found on an old Olympia CD and difficult to find or incredibly expensive probably.

ps I was wrong No 6 is now on Melodiya:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Daverz

Quote from: Guido on November 14, 2009, 03:29:29 AM
The Rostropovich recording of the cello concerto is infinitely better than the other one available, even if the sound is a little dated - it's still a ravishing account.

Replying to an old post (is Guido still around?), but if the "other one" is the Drobinsky recording, I don't agree at all.  The klezmer aspects of the score come across much better in the Drobinsky recording.

Joaquimhock

"Dans la vie il faut regarder par la fenêtre"

Daverz

Quote from: Joaquimhock on August 18, 2010, 01:14:55 AM
Extract of Die Passagerien here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fs5_aDUWso

Can't understand German, but it's still fascinating.  What did they say about the bit of cartoon they showed ("Vinni Puk" or something like that?)  Also, the Polish film of The Passenger looks like it pulls no punches.

More info on the opera here, and the Polish film on VHS.

Brahmsian

Quote from: bhodges on November 13, 2008, 09:03:53 AM
Just this week I discovered some of Weinberg's music in a concert with three substantial chamber works, and it they were all very impressive.  Tuesday night's program was:

Sonata for Clarinet and Piano, Op. 18 (1945)
From Zhukovsky's Lyrics, Op. 116, vocal cycle for bass and piano (1976)
Piano Quintet, Op. 18 (1944)

The concert was the third in a five-day survey called Music in Exile: Émigré Composers of the 1930s at the Museum of Jewish Heritage here, by the ARC Ensemble of Toronto.  Due to a schedule change, they played Weinberg's Piano Quintet on opening night as well.  Here is a review from yesterday's New York Times

I loved the Clarinet Sonata, liked the song cycle, too, but the Piano Quintet is the real stunner.  I haven't heard a piano quintet this interesting since Schnittke's.  Definitely want to pick up the recording below, with the quintet and the sonata played by the same musicians (who were superb, by the way). 

--Bruce

Just listened to this CD today Bruce, which were both my introduction to the pieces and the composer (except the CD has the 6 Jewish songs after Shmuel Halkin, Op.17)

I was incredibly impressed, particularly by the Clarinet Sonata, Op.28 and the Piano Quintet, Op.18

Wonderful, and melodious.  I was very pleasantly surprised!  :)

PaulR

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on August 16, 2010, 02:57:00 AM
Interesting review here from the Bregenz Festival of a production of Weinberg's Holocaust opera The Passenger which apparently will be coming to London (and elsewhere) in 2012.  One to get on the mailing list for.
I hope a production comes to the US sometime in the future, would love to see the opera. 

Guido

Quote from: Daverz on August 16, 2010, 03:13:54 AM
Replying to an old post (is Guido still around?), but if the "other one" is the Drobinsky recording, I don't agree at all.  The klezmer aspects of the score come across much better in the Drobinsky recording.

Can't remember which I heard - I think it wasn't that one, but the one mentioned above.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Scarpia

Have been listening to this release containing Weinberg concerti from Chandos.

First listened to the clarinet concerto (a favorite instrument for concerti) and found it interesting.  Knotty music, with string orchestra which sometimes echos the clarinet, and sometimes challenges it with gritty dissonant harmony.

The second piece I tried was the fantasy for cello and orchestra.  A wonder, lyrical piece overflowing with gorgeous melodies, sometimes with a hint of Klemzer music.  I would say it gives an impression of being a "concerto grosso" rather than a cello concerto, since various wind instruments emerge from the texture and take center stage for significant stretches of the music, while the string orchestra takes the role or orchestral accompaniment.  Absolutely wonderful music.

I have a few volumes of what appears to have been an enormous series of recordings of Weinberg (Vainberg) orchestra music.  It seems to have vanished from the surface of the earth without a trace.  A shame!

PaulR

I saw on Arkivmusic that a bluray disc of Weinberg's opera The Passenger was released in November.  I am looking for the DVD version from a store in the states, as we only have one blu ray player in the house.

eyeresist

Quote from: paulrbass on January 27, 2011, 04:40:54 PM
I saw on Arkivmusic that a bluray disc of Weinberg's opera The Passenger was released in November.  I am looking for the DVD version from a store in the states, as we only have one blu ray player in the house.
How many blu ray players do you need?