Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on July 12, 2017, 11:15:45 AM
Returning tomorrow, actually. A wise decision, Karl - I'll have to get back to work on that set soon.

Very good!  Just got a message to expect delivery late next week.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

André

I had not listened to this in many years.

Any modern recommendation for the 10th ? This Barshai version is musically excellent, but in mono.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on July 14, 2017, 06:33:14 AM

Any modern recommendation for the 10th ? This Barshai version is musically excellent, but in mono.

Try the recording with Kremer and Kremerata Baltica, it's a good rendition of this wild and gripping work. BTW, this is one of my favorite ones by Weinberg.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00GY6Z3LA/musicwebuk

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 14, 2017, 06:33:14 AM

Wonderful performance of Symphony 6 with its children's choir - a very moving work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

I have this one which I am very fond of and find the Shosti piece equally moving.

André

The Kremer 10 (+ piano quintet etc) is in my cart ! It is indeed a strange but very compelling work, more's the pity that the mono sound fails to do justice to Barshai's interpretation.

Yes, the 6th is indeed a great work, and Kondrashin loves it immensely !

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 14, 2017, 06:51:27 PM
The Kremer 10 (+ piano quintet etc) is in my cart ! It is indeed a strange but very compelling work, more's the pity that the mono sound fails to do justice to Barshai's interpretation.

Yes indeed re Kondrashin - my favourite soviet-era conductor. I had the LP. Took me a while to realise how moving a work Symphony 6 is. Spiritually linked to Shostakovich's 'Babi-Yar' Symphony 13 in a way. I first heard it in my 20s when I mainly listened to orchestral works. Weinberg's 6th Symphony was one of the first choral works I really appreciated apart from the choral works of Vaughan Williams.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on July 14, 2017, 06:51:27 PM

Yes, the pf quintet is exquisite!  And . . . this means (I think) the third performance of this piece I shall have heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

I have all the Olympia symphony discs (5 or 6 if I'm not mistaken). A few years ago I made copies of them for a fellow poster (don't remember who), and sent along the booklets, with the proviso that they be returned once copied ( I couldn't be bothered to make copies of all those pages). I never saw the booklets again  >:( .At least I have the music !

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

(Cross-post)

Pleased to find that the Quintet (of which I already had two recordings) is an arrangement for piano, string orchestra . . . & percussion.

Less annoyed 0:) than I thought I might be that, in fact, the first three Chamber Symphonies do indeed consist substantially of reworkings of quartets—"The changes between the Second Quartet and the Chamber Symphony № 1 are minor"; "The [Chamber Symphony № 2] is in large part a transcription of his third sting quartet"; "Three out of four movements of the Chamber Symphony № 3 (1990), are either based on or actual transcriptions from his String Quartet № 5 (composed in June/July 1945)."  They are, after all, the composer's own work of adaptation, and to be sure, I have yet to firm up my acquaintance of even those few of the quartets which I have already heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

BasilValentine

I wish someone would record the complete piano sonatas. It is a wonderful and varied body of work that I have been listening to piecemeal on youtube. Not to mention a box set of the complete symphonies. I'd by both immediately.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: BasilValentine on July 17, 2017, 02:43:56 PM
I wish someone would record the complete piano sonatas. It is a wonderful and varied body of work that I have been listening to piecemeal on youtube. Not to mention a box set of the complete symphonies. I'd by both immediately.

A complete recording of the sonatas exists, the pianist who performed them is Allison Brewster Franzetti (Grand Piano label), in fact, all the piano works are recorded (at least it says in the set title). They are substantial, highly absorbing. All the symphonies aren't recorded completely (9, 11, 13 and 15 are missing, sadly).

Karl Henning

I'm working my way backwards through the quartets, now that the box has landed.  Of course, that means hopping from CD to CD.  It's a rough life ;)

So, having now listened to nos. 17 & 16, I don't mind saying that I feel the box has already vindicated the purchase.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 25, 2017, 06:39:33 AM
I'm working my way backwards through the quartets, now that the box has landed.  Of course, that means hopping from CD to CD.  It's a rough life ;)

So, having now listened to nos. 17 & 16, I don't mind saying that I feel the box has already vindicated the purchase.

I guess I should do something like that, but knowing me, I'd probably start with the 1st quartet, not the last. When I listened to the box (disc by disc, each one having its own 'program') I had good moments, but the whole failed to impress me as I suspect it should have. A reappraisal is in order.

BasilValentine

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 17, 2017, 03:17:42 PM
A complete recording of the sonatas exists, the pianist who performed them is Allison Brewster Franzetti (Grand Piano label), in fact, all the piano works are recorded (at least it says in the set title). They are substantial, highly absorbing. All the symphonies aren't recorded completely (9, 11, 13 and 15 are missing, sadly).

Thanks! I'll do another, more specific, search.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 17, 2017, 03:17:42 PM

Unfortunately Allison Brewster Franzetti really isn't a particularly interesting pianist. Even Jascha Nemtsov would be (is) better, and he's not terribly good, either. I'm hoping on oh... whatshisname... records a lot of all Schumann for Haenssler... Florian Uhlig! I hope he or someone of his caliber will tackle the sonatas before long.

Karl Henning

And Weinberg was by all accounts such a good pianist (recall the four-hands recording of the Shostakovich Tenth with the composer), his piano sonatas demand a first-rate outing.

Separately . . .

Quote from: David Fanning[...] respect and influence between Shostakovich and Weinberg were mutual.  Both left an imposing body of symphonies amd string quartets — in Weinberg's case numbering 26 and 17, respectively.  In addition Weinberg composed six concertos, seven operas, three ballets, four cantatas, some 23 sonatas and upwards of 200 songs.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

amw

Murray McLachlan recorded the complete sonatas on Olympia ages ago and they may still be available somewhere, I'm not sure. Perhaps a Melodiya reissue is likely in the future. I have no issues with his performances.

North Star

Quote from: amw on August 09, 2017, 12:56:27 PM
Murray McLachlan recorded the complete sonatas on Olympia ages ago and they may still be available somewhere, I'm not sure. Perhaps a Melodiya reissue is likely in the future. I have no issues with his performances.
They are indeed available.
[asin]B008UW9YWU[/asin]
[asin]B008TW0DQ2[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr