Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Anyone else here an admirer of Weinberg's Symphony no. 3 (recorded by Chandos)? It's decidedly more Romantic in feel than most of his music that I've heard. I love the magical opening - it reminds me of an updated version of the opening of Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 1. If I recall correctly, the ending of the first movement is reprised at the end of the work - a spellbinding moment.

https://youtu.be/MonyQhLY0Qo

[asin]B004SVNIGK[/asin]
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

It's a fantastic symphony, Kyle. Love it! I'd say my favorite Weinberg symphony, however, is the 5th.

SurprisedByBeauty

A new challenger to Linus Roth on Challenge in the VC.

relm1

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2017, 04:45:11 PM
Anyone else here an admirer of Weinberg's Symphony no. 3 (recorded by Chandos)? It's decidedly more Romantic in feel than most of his music that I've heard. I love the magical opening - it reminds me of an updated version of the opening of Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 1. If I recall correctly, the ending of the first movement is reprised at the end of the work - a spellbinding moment.

[asin]B004SVNIGK[/asin]

I hadn't heard this symphony before but that was gorgeous!  Thanks for recommending. 

kyjo

Quote from: relm1 on October 28, 2017, 04:43:46 PM
I hadn't heard this symphony before but that was gorgeous!  Thanks for recommending.

:)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 18, 2017, 04:45:11 PM

[asin]B004SVNIGK[/asin]

Yes,yes,yes - great work! (Symphony 3). I also like symphonies 1,5 (his masterpiece I think) and 6 as well as the eloquent Piano Quintet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on October 29, 2017, 01:14:49 AM
Yes,yes,yes - great work! (Symphony 3). I also like symphonies 1,5 (his masterpiece I think) and 6 as well as the eloquent Piano Quintet.

Fantatic. And the Ballet is also a very fine work. The only irritation, relatively short program on that CD.

PaulR

Weinberg's Solo Double Bass Sonata Op. 108 will be performed at Tanglewood this summer by Edwin Barker.  Might have to see that...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

kyjo

If we were to start a thread on "creepiest openings", that of Weinberg's 5th Symphony would surely be a prime candidate!

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on May 16, 2018, 08:40:17 AM
If we were to start a thread on "creepiest openings", that of Weinberg's 5th Symphony would surely be a prime candidate!

I love that opening - and the closing for that matter. I think that it's the only symphony, along with Popov's First Symphony I know which bears comparison with Shostakovich's cataclysmic 4th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2018, 09:00:03 AM
I love that opening - and the closing for that matter. I think that it's the only symphony, along with Popov's First Symphony I know which bears comparison with Shostakovich's cataclysmic 4th Symphony.

Well that's got my attention right away!

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 17, 2018, 09:41:30 AM
Well that's got my attention right away!

Oh, it's a fine work which you should hear if you don't know it.

Just listened to his Piano Quintet which I think is one of his greatest works (Olympia).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2018, 09:00:03 AM

Don't tell anyone this, but...[in whispering voice] I like Weinberg's 5th better than Shostakovich's 4th. There...I feel better now. ;)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2018, 08:23:06 PM
Don't tell anyone this, but...[in whispering voice] I like Weinberg's 5th better than Shostakovich's 4th. There...I feel better now. ;)

Haha - and why not?
Popov's 1st is pretty sensational as well.
I like the Weinberg just as much as both of them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 17, 2018, 09:17:56 PM
Haha - and why not?
Popov's 1st is pretty sensational as well.
I like the Weinberg just as much as both of them.

For me, the slow movement (Adagio sostenuto) from Weinberg's 5th is enough to catapult this symphony into the hierarchy of greatest Soviet Russian symphonies. This movement haunts me for days after hearing it, so I have to be ready for this anytime I listen to it.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 18, 2018, 05:22:18 AM
For me, the slow movement (Adagio sostenuto) from Weinberg's 5th is enough to catapult this symphony into the hierarchy of greatest Soviet Russian symphonies. This movement haunts me for days after hearing it, so I have to be ready for this anytime I listen to it.
+1
I love the beginning and end as well.

Maestro267

I picked up the Naxos recording of Symphony No. 12 today. Just finished listening to it. I've heard a few of his symphonies now (Nos. 8, 12, 17 & 18) and it's clear to me that his soundworld is far more intimate than, say, Shostakovich and Prokofiev, who prefer (in the main) far thicker and heavier textures. With Weinberg, it's almost like chamber music, even though he often deploys sizable orchestral forces.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 24, 2018, 10:52:55 AM
I picked up the Naxos recording of Symphony No. 12 today. Just finished listening to it. I've heard a few of his symphonies now (Nos. 8, 12, 17 & 18) and it's clear to me that his soundworld is far more intimate than, say, Shostakovich and Prokofiev, who prefer (in the main) far thicker and heavier textures. With Weinberg, it's almost like chamber music, even though he often deploys sizable orchestral forces.

You must hear No.5 - his greatest I think, although not on Naxos.