Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 22, 2018, 04:18:43 AM
Please remember the original Mahler thread, and why it got locked down.

Please do not make non-Elgar threads a referendum on Elgar.

Point taken Karl.

Now back to Braga Santos.
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Most of the Weinberg I have is chamber music: String Quartets, Violin Sonatas, Cello Sonatas, Piano Trio etc. a lot of it on CPO label.

I think Weinberg is pretty damn good chamber music composer.  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Iota

Quote from: 71 dB on September 22, 2018, 09:51:47 AM
I think Weinberg is pretty damn good chamber music composer.  0:)

I feel the same way. I'm slowly finding my way into Weinberg's music, and so far the chamber music has appealed far more than the orchestral works or concertos.
The Piano Quintet and Piano Sonata No.6 are two clear favourites for me, the quintet being just full of remarkable moments, and the sonata with an absolutely lovely opening Adagio of almost haiku-like simplicity.

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on March 14, 2019, 06:47:22 AM
Review: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/the-stamic-quartets-great-weinberg-bloch-combo/ ...

The review above mentions not having heard the Attacca Quartet version of the Piano Quintet, which is coincidentally the one I've got to know the work with. I haven't heard any other yet, but fwiw will say that if I needed my metaphorical socks removing in a hurry, this would be an option.

kyjo

I was listening to the Cello Concerto recently, which I think is one of the most sheerly beautiful works of its kind ever written for the instrument. Its structure, with two elegiac, haunting outer movements flanking some livelier central sections, reflects that of the Miaskovsky concerto written four years earlier and sharing the same key (C minor). In addition to radiating a deeply Russian melancholy, the work also contains a Jewish klezmer influence in some of the more dance-like sections, betraying Weinberg's Jewish heritage. It's promising that young(er) cellists such as Nicolas Altstaedt and Sol Gabetta are taking up the work - hopefully other cellists will follow suit and the work will enter the standard cello repertoire, as it truly deserves to.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Ken B

Quote from: kyjo on March 16, 2019, 02:30:37 PM
I was listening to the Cello Concerto recently, which I think is one of the most sheerly beautiful works of its kind ever written for the instrument. Its structure, with two elegiac, haunting outer movements flanking some livelier central sections, reflects that of the Miaskovsky concerto written four years earlier and sharing the same key (C minor). In addition to radiating a deeply Russian melancholy, the work also contains a Jewish klezmer influence in some of the more dance-like sections, betraying Weinberg's Jewish heritage. It's promising that young(er) cellists such as Nicolas Altstaedt and Sol Gabetta are taking up the work - hopefully other cellists will follow suit and the work will enter the standard cello repertoire, as it truly deserves to.
It is. It is probably the best cello concerto that is "never" played. I was amazed when I first heard it, just about 3 years ago. Hopefully the banishment of those plagiarists Vajnberg, Vainberg, Wajnberg, and Wainberg, all of whom have claimed this Concerto as their own, will help.
Do you know Honegger's Concerto? Also a great one. The Virgil Thomson is very good too.

kyjo

Quote from: Ken B on March 16, 2019, 02:57:29 PM
It is. It is probably the best cello concerto that is "never" played. I was amazed when I first heard it, just about 3 years ago. Hopefully the banishment of those plagiarists Vajnberg, Vainberg, Wajnberg, and Wainberg, all of whom have claimed this Concerto as their own, will help.
Do you know Honegger's Concerto? Also a great one. The Virgil Thomson is very good too.

;D

Yes, I know and love the Honegger concerto. Don't know the Thomson (yet).
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Weinberg's Cello Concerto and Symphony 3 are being performed at the Proms in London this year.
If I can get to one or both of those concerts I will.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 17, 2019, 05:46:09 AM
Weinberg's Cello Concerto and Symphony 3 are being performed at the Proms in London this year.

An opportunity like that can't be missed! I hope you can get the tickets for those concerts.

schnittkease

I've always been impressed by the Proms' willingness to program neglected works. Good luck on making it.

vandermolen

Quote from: schnittkease on April 17, 2019, 09:32:32 PM
I've always been impressed by the Proms' willingness to program neglected works. Good luck on making it.
Thanks to you and Cesarean. I doubt whether Weinberg's Third Symphony will be a sell-out! It's a work that I like very much.

PS the Seventh string quartet is also being performed.

vandermolen

I was curious about the interest in Weinberg at this year's Proms before recalling that he had been born in 1919. ::)

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Iota on March 16, 2019, 09:43:13 AM
I feel the same way. I'm slowly finding my way into Weinberg's music, and so far the chamber music has appealed far more than the orchestral works or concertos.
The Piano Quintet and Piano Sonata No.6 are two clear favourites for me, the quintet being just full of remarkable moments, and the sonata with an absolutely lovely opening Adagio of almost haiku-like simplicity.

The review above mentions not having heard the Attacca Quartet version of the Piano Quintet, which is coincidentally the one I've got to know the work with. I haven't heard any other yet, but fwiw will say that if I needed my metaphorical socks removing in a hurry, this would be an option.

I'll definitely look into that version! Can't listen to enough versions of this piece!

kyjo

That's fantastic news! Two of my favorite Weinberg works.

Maestro267

I am kinda surprised they didn't choose to perform the 21st Symphony, as that's the one that CBSO and Mirga recorded recently with DG.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on April 21, 2019, 03:11:21 AM
I am kinda surprised they didn't choose to perform the 21st Symphony, as that's the one that CBSO and Mirga recorded recently with DG.

I like Symphony 3 but think that Symphony 5 is the greatest of the ones I've heard and wish it was being performed. No.1 and 6 are also very good IMO.

vandermolen

Interesting and surprising forthcoming release. It reminds me of when DGG issued an LP of Allan Pettersson's 8th Symphony many years ago:

schnittkease

This is quite possibly my favorite Weinberg recording:

Acerbic works that border on harrowing and ironic à la Shostakovich; a major contribution to the solo violin repertoire.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on April 22, 2019, 11:53:37 AM
Interesting and surprising forthcoming release. It reminds me of when DGG issued an LP of Allan Pettersson's 8th Symphony many years ago:

I got excited finding this on Qobuz, but only one track actually streams currently, the Presto of No. 21.

Listening to the Siberian recording now:

[asin] B00KQ31I0M[/asin]

A rather enigmatic work.