Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 26, 2019, 06:01:32 PM
What do you really consider his best symphonies? Well, a mix of favorite and best.

And, Is there any possibility in the near future to record the missing symphonies (9, 11 and 15)? Look at this, cpo, Chandos, Naxos!!

I believe all three of those are large scale choral symphonies. Something random I just noticed on a publisher's page listing most of the symphonies and their instrumentation: No. 11 does not call for oboes.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 27, 2019, 01:56:45 PM
I did know that you like the 5th a lot, Jeffrey. Yesterday I gave it a listen but by hearing other recording (don't have the Kondrashin):

It's indeed great, unmistakably Weinberg. There is a remarkable use of woodwinds and percussion. And a so good performance. Impressive.
I wasn't aware of that release Cesar. Most interesting!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

As it's Weinberg's big day today (as far as we know; it's kinda muddy), a little thread bump is in order here, I think.

I have a few symphonies to choose from, and I'll pick one later to listen to to commemorate the centenary.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 07, 2019, 11:04:25 PM
As it's Weinberg's big day today (as far as we know; it's kinda muddy), a little thread bump is in order here, I think.

I have a few symphonies to choose from, and I'll pick one later to listen to to commemorate the centenary.

Thanks very much for alerting us to this important day!

I shall play the new recording of Symphony No.5 in celebration.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Quote from: vandermolen on December 08, 2019, 01:12:09 AM
Thanks very much for alerting us to this important day!

I shall play the new recording of Symphony No.5 in celebration.
:)

There's a new recording? I actually learnt the other day that Chandos released a Fifth, which is fantastic. I think there's a second recording with Kondrashin, but I suspect the Chandos will sound better by default of being a more modern performance. Nevermind. Just saw the above picture.

I only have 4 recordings currently: Symphony No. 8; No. 12/Golden Key suite; No. 17/Suite for Orchestra; No. 18/Trumpet Concerto.

vers la flamme

I will have to listen to the only Weinberg work in my library today then, the String Quartet No.6 in E minor.

vandermolen

First listen to this new version of the magnificent Symphony No.5:

Maestro267

Yeah, I've heard glowing recommendations for Symphony No. 5. I'm sure someone said they found it had a similar sort of intensity to Shostakovich 4, which is really saying something. That work is the very definition of intense!

I'm not sure if it's just the symphonies I've picked up, but pretty much all of them seem quite inward looking. Very few massive, percussion-drenched climaxes á la Shostakovich or Prokofiev. He uses sizable forces, but uses them sparingly and rarely all together.

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on December 08, 2019, 07:37:41 AM
Yeah, I've heard glowing recommendations for Symphony No. 5. I'm sure someone said they found it had a similar sort of intensity to Shostakovich 4, which is really saying something. That work is the very definition of intense!

I'm not sure if it's just the symphonies I've picked up, but pretty much all of them seem quite inward looking. Very few massive, percussion-drenched climaxes á la Shostakovich or Prokofiev. He uses sizable forces, but uses them sparingly and rarely all together.

I think that No.5 is the only symphony I'd compare with Shostakovich's 4th Symphony, especially the ending, apart from Popov's phantasmagoric Symphony No.1. The above recording doesn't have quite the urgency of Kondrashin's account but is a more modern recording. I prefer it to the version on Chandos.

Roy Bland

Quote from: vandermolen on December 08, 2019, 08:16:47 AM
I think that No.5 is the only symphony I'd compare with Shostakovich's 4th Symphony, especially the ending, apart from Popov's phantasmagoric Symphony No.1. The above recording doesn't have quite the urgency of Kondrashin's account but is a more modern recording. I prefer it to the version on Chandos.
I agree IMHO is the best work of Weinberg full of desolation and despair (third movement a folklike parody) after haunting opening and sinister march on ending,i have powerful Kondrashin's performance with old Russian Disc.What do you think about Trumpet Concerto?

André

A resounding YES! for the trumpet concerto.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roy Bland on December 08, 2019, 03:16:43 PM
I agree IMHO is the best work of Weinberg full of desolation and despair (third movement a folklike parody) after haunting opening and sinister march on ending,i have powerful Kondrashin's performance with old Russian Disc.What do you think about Trumpet Concerto?
Need to listen to it again. Glad you also think highly of the 5th Symphony.

Roy Bland

New release

Roy Bland

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on December 08, 2019, 04:19:05 AM
I will have to listen to the only Weinberg work in my library today then, the String Quartet No.6 in E minor.

This is still the only Weinberg I have, as part of the Pacifica Quartet Shostakovich (et al) cycle. I just listened to it, really good stuff. I should hear one of his symphonies. Is there one that stands out among the 21? Further, what recordings are worth listening to? Naxos pretty good here?

Daverz

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2020, 05:02:29 PM
This is still the only Weinberg I have, as part of the Pacifica Quartet Shostakovich (et al) cycle. I just listened to it, really good stuff. I should hear one of his symphonies. Is there one that stands out among the 21? Further, what recordings are worth listening to? Naxos pretty good here?

I'd start with Symphonies 4 & 5. 

André

Listened to symphony no 21 twice today. It's a large scale work (54 minutes) in 6 sections played without interruption. Weinberg's language here looks backward and forward, mixing old forms (chorale) with almost postmodern sounds. In places I had the impression of listening to a work by Giya Kancheli. At others (the presto section) Nino Rota burst into view straight out of a Fellini film. Klezmer instruments/tunes appear here and there. A wordless soprano is heard in the desolate last movement. I had the impression of the composer looking back and revisiting a life's memories and experiences. Very moving.

There is another version of the work on DGG. I will probably explore it. The Toccata release is excellent, but I have a reservation: the soprano soloist is way too forward and her voice lacks an ethereal quality. The excellent notes by David Fanning state that the soprano should be heard from off-stage. I think it would make a real difference if done in that way.

North Star

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2020, 05:02:29 PM
The whole cycle of quartets is very much worth getting to know, the Danel are the only complete set, but they are very good indeed.
As for the symphonies, You can't go wrong with the ones mentioned in the last posts, though I've hardly heard them all myself either. Toccata, Chandos, Naxos, Melodya have all seemed fine to me as far as recordings go, and definitely the DG album.

And do check out the Piano Quintet! There are lots of recordings, it's certainly thought of as one of Weinberg's best works. I seem to recall there was lots of enthusiasm for this recording by the Silesian Quartet, you could also hear another String Quartet before committing to the complete set.

[asin]B00I9OFTQO[/asin]

[asin]B07P97V6SH[/asin]

[asin]B06XDS4PFD[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Very nice, Cesar. Thanks for posting those performances. In my mind, Weinberg is a major composer and it is finally time he's getting the kind of recognition he has long deserved. It seems like there are new recordings of his music popping up all the time now, which is a great thing for all of us, but not so great for our wallets. ;) Even though I own the Quatuor Danel cycle of the SQs, I still find myself looking at the Silesian Quartet on Accord. I'm trying my best to resist these recordings. I really am. The problem I have with Weinberg is I want every recording. ;D