Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 21, 2021, 07:20:00 AM
That work rings a bell John - I'm sure that I have some extracts in my collection somewhere, possibly kindly sent to me by André some while back  :)

Yeah, I just love those screechy Weinberg Soviet recordings on Olympia. ;D But IIRC, this recording of The Golden Key actually sounded quite good (I believe it was an 80s or early 90s recording).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on June 21, 2021, 07:20:00 AM
That work rings a bell John - I'm sure that I have some extracts in my collection somewhere, possibly kindly sent to me by André some while back  :)

:)

Karl Henning

Quote from: 71 dB on June 21, 2021, 02:23:27 AM
Unfortunately I don't own that CPO disc (but I have many other such as one containing Violin Concertino Op. 42 and Symphony No. 10). However, I have the Op. 43 Cello Concerto on a Chandos SACD with Symphony No. 20.  :)

I'm sorry I don't post much anymore. It is because I don't feel welcome. Moderators check my posts and it can delay them appearing for others by up to a day! So I spend most of my time elsewhere where I feel more welcome.

Good to hear from you, Poju.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on June 21, 2021, 02:23:27 AM
Unfortunately I don't own that CPO disc (but I have many other such as one containing Violin Concertino Op. 42 and Symphony No. 10). However, I have the Op. 43 Cello Concerto on a Chandos SACD with Symphony No. 20.  :)

I'm sorry I don't post much anymore. It is because I don't feel welcome. Moderators check my posts and it can delay them appearing for others by up to a day! So I spend most of my time elsewhere where I feel more welcome.

Where've you been hiding, Poju?!?!?

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 21, 2021, 03:04:10 PM
Good to hear from you, Poju.
Quote from: vandermolen on June 21, 2021, 03:46:31 PM
+1

Thanks you both!  ;)

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 21, 2021, 03:53:26 PM
Where've you been hiding, Poju?!?!?

As I said, "elsewhere." However, I have made a few posts here. Also, I am totally done with US politics and now that TYT has been exposed as frauds I feel ashamed for having taken them seriously. Yet another failure in my life...  :(

Anyway there is Weinbergs music to enjoys...  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

relm1

I really enjoyed this disc and highly recommend it!  Excellent performance, great recorded sound and very finely crafted music.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572752

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on September 25, 2021, 05:14:10 PM
I really enjoyed this disc and highly recommend it!  Excellent performance, great recorded sound and very finely crafted music.

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572752

I like that 'un, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

relm1

I heard Weinberg's Symphony No. 22 for the first time just now and was blown away by it.  Very moving and defiant tone with a solemn and powerful conclusion, yet the final seconds felt chamber.  Really wonderful work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: relm1 on October 31, 2021, 05:23:40 PM
I heard Weinberg's Symphony No. 22 for the first time just now and was blown away by it.  Very moving and defiant tone with a solemn and powerful conclusion, yet the final seconds felt chamber.  Really wonderful work.

Terrific!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Quote from: André on February 07, 2021, 03:06:38 PM
A study of the quartets:

https://www.academia.edu/28121947/The_String_Quartets_of_Mieczysław_Weinberg_A_Critical_Study?email_work_card=abstract-read-more

Thanks for this, Andre. It always helps me to do some research before launching into something new. I don't really know Weinberg at all, beyond an occasional foray into the symphonies and prodding the SQs. As one of the bigger projects I intend for the coming year, I hope to get to know these well.

Edit: typo correction
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Roy Bland

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

staxomega

Seems like Weinberg has taken off in popularity in the last 10 years or so. This entire disc is fabulous, but felt I should bump the Weinberg thread as the Shostakovich thread has enough activity  8) And to be fair maybe the performance of the Weinberg Piano Trio is the best I've heard among three or four others.

Roy Bland

He was conductor in one of best chandos record

Skogwald

Here's a composer I have discovered from browsing this forum. The fifth symphony is indeed amazing as are the piano quintet and the cello concerto. I'm looking forward to hearing more of the symphonies next!

Regarding the comparisons with Shostakovich, I feel like Weinberg uses similar sounds but his music is quite different emotionally. Shostakovich is more obviously sad, sardonic, triumphant etc. whereas Weinberg's music operates most of the time in a more ambiguous and grey mood - which doesn't mean it's any less beautiful or powerful.

vandermolen

Quote from: Skogwald on February 21, 2023, 05:54:46 AMHere's a composer I have discovered from browsing this forum. The fifth symphony is indeed amazing as are the piano quintet and the cello concerto. I'm looking forward to hearing more of the symphonies next!

Regarding the comparisons with Shostakovich, I feel like Weinberg uses similar sounds but his music is quite different emotionally. Shostakovich is more obviously sad, sardonic, triumphant etc. whereas Weinberg's music operates most of the time in a more ambiguous and grey mood - which doesn't mean it's any less beautiful or powerful.
A very interesting point and very true I think. You have chosen three of his greatest works there! The choral Symphony No.6 (orchestra with children's voices) is very moving, especially in view of Weinberg's personal history.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

What say you of this disc?  I thought it was amazing but curious what others think.   It was my intro to both works.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on February 21, 2023, 04:13:51 PMWhat say you of this disc?  I thought it was amazing but curious what others think.   It was my intro to both works.

Never seen it before. Looks interesting.