Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: paulrbass on January 27, 2011, 04:40:54 PM
I saw on Arkivmusic that a bluray disc of Weinberg's opera The Passenger was released in November.  I am looking for the DVD version from a store in the states, as we only have one blu ray player in the house.

MDT has the DVD.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//NEOS51006.htm

nn-digger

Hi, all.  I really wonder that somebody in US and UK knows about such ruassian composer as Weinberg. Most people even in Russia don't know who he is.
As for me, best of his is chamber symphonies, symphony No 5.

PS: sorry that I speak English bad.

vandermolen

Quote from: nn-digger on April 05, 2011, 11:10:02 PM
Hi, all.  I really wonder that somebody in US and UK knows about such ruassian composer as Weinberg. Most people even in Russia don't know who he is.
As for me, best of his is chamber symphonies, symphony No 5.

PS: sorry that I speak English bad.

His Symphony No 5 is a great work, together with Popov's 1st Symphony it is the only work I know which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony.  Weinberg's 6th Symphony is very moving, with its children's choir and I have just discovered the wartime Symphony No 1, with its defiant ending - dedicated to the Red Army.  The Piano Quintet can stand alongside that of his friend Shostakovich.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

PaulR

Quote from: eyeresist on April 04, 2011, 06:10:41 PM
How many blu ray players do you need?
It's not that there is only one blu ray, but more of where it is located.  I don't spend much time in my parents room.  Having a DVD version would be more convenient. 
Quote from: Daverz on April 04, 2011, 07:03:04 PM
MDT has the DVD.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//NEOS51006.htm
Is that region free?

Daverz

Quote from: paulrbass on April 06, 2011, 03:20:21 PM
It's not that there is only one blu ray, but more of where it is located.  I don't spend much time in my parents room.  Having a DVD version would be more convenient.  Is that region free?

Opera DVDs tend to be region free, but it would be in the PAL format, so you need a player that converts PAL to NTSC if you have an NTSC TV.

PaulR

Chandos is releasing a CD containing Weinberg's 3rd symphony, and the Golden Key Suite #4 with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thord Svundland on May 31, for anyone interested. 

Lethevich

I pray that Chandos aren't being too optimistic in spreading the symphonies so thinly across each volume - I will just die if this cycle peters out with only half of them recorded, but enough disc space to have recorded most.

Still, putting aside those worries, it will be nice to discover some lighter Weinberg fare - I know none of his orchestral music outside of the symphonies and concertos - thanks for the notification :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

PaulR

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 26, 2011, 12:49:48 PM
I pray that Chandos aren't being too optimistic in spreading the symphonies so thinly across each volume - I will just die if this cycle peters out with only half of them recorded, but enough disc space to have recorded most.

Still, putting aside those worries, it will be nice to discover some lighter Weinberg fare - I know none of his orchestral music outside of the symphonies and concertos - thanks for the notification :)
I have found some old olympia recordings online, so I was able to get some other symphonies besides the ones Chandos released.  But I agree, I hope Chandos continues the cycle, and other lighter pieces.

With that said, there other CDs I have had my eye on for a while, including the 4 solo viola Sonata's the 1st, 2nd and 5th Violin Sonatas (I already have 3 and 4).  I am a big Weinberg fan, and excited for the next CD  8)

Scarpia

Quote from: paulrbass on April 26, 2011, 12:45:46 PM
Chandos is releasing a CD containing Weinberg's 3rd symphony, and the Golden Key Suite #4 with the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra conducted by Thord Svundland on May 31, for anyone interested.

Full price for a release of 49 minutes, with one symphony and a crappy suite.  I have all of the previous Chandos Weinberg releases, but not this one. 

Scarpia

Quote from: paulrbass on April 26, 2011, 01:00:28 PM
I have found some old olympia recordings online, so I was able to get some other symphonies besides the ones Chandos released.  But I agree, I hope Chandos continues the cycle, and other lighter pieces.

My interest in "Vainberg" came from those Olympia releases.  I wish I had known they would disappear so fast, I would have gotten more of them.  The Chandos series seems to have gone off the rails and I'm afraid we may be left without a good option for this composer.

Lethevich

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 26, 2011, 03:46:42 PM
Full price for a release of 49 minutes

Seriously? I agree, that is not acceptable nowadays. Why should I pay for 70% of the music I can get from another disc?

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 26, 2011, 04:01:07 PM
Seriously? I agree, that is not acceptable nowadays. Why should I pay for 70% of the music I can get from another disc?

Yes, one 32 minutes symphony and one 17 minute obscure ballet suite.  I've already sent them a cranky e-mail.

Lethevich

I wish I had the guts to do things like that :)

This is more or less my scale:

It's about the 55 min mark that it becomes acceptable, anything around 70 and I can appreciate that the label made an effort. I can imagine a label owner seeing this and raging, but with a very limited income I have to get the best value I can and runtime is a consideration in my purchasing decisions.

Scarpia

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevich Shostakovich on April 26, 2011, 04:14:02 PM
I wish I had the guts to do things like that :)

This is more or less my scale:

It's about the 55 min mark that it becomes acceptable, anything around 70 and I can appreciate that the label made an effort. I can imagine a label owner seeing this and raging, but with a very limited income I have to get the best value I can and runtime is a consideration in my purchasing decisions.

As far as I am concerned it is a 32 minute disc (I'm not interested in "Suite No 4" from a ballet I never heard of). 

PaulR

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 26, 2011, 04:16:21 PM
As far as I am concerned it is a 32 minute disc (I'm not interested in "Suite No 4" from a ballet I never heard of).
I would be interested in the Suite if it wasn't nearly a third of the CD.  That's a shame, too bad they couldn't couple it with a more substantial piece.  I guess I'll have to find other options....I may end up buying it someday used for a decent price. 

Scarpia

Quote from: paulrbass on April 26, 2011, 04:22:12 PM
I would be interested in the Suite if it wasn't nearly a third of the CD.  That's a shame, too bad they couldn't couple it with a more substantial piece.  I guess I'll have to find other options....I may end up buying it someday used for a decent price.

If no one buys it you can't find it used.  I'll be looking for it as an overstock at Berkshire.

Lethevich

@Scarpia: So mean, I'm sure the ballet is fine :)

In related news, I've been playing this (78 minute long ;)) disc for the second time today:

[asin]B00454EMDI[/asin]

The two numbered sonatas for violin and piano are both gorgeous - no real angst or darkness, just great music. The solo sonata is somewhat more wiry and I find it hard going on my initial listens but it exhibits such craft. It's impressive that despite being quite a prolific writer, Weinberg didn't spread his inspiration too thinly.

The performances are excellent btw, and recorded with great clarity.

PaulR

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 26, 2011, 04:24:43 PM
If no one buys it you can't find it used.  I'll be looking for it as an overstock at Berkshire.
I'm sure some people will buy it, at least eventually.  Then I am also sure it will eventually be available used via the Amazon marketplace.

Scarpia

Quote from: paulrbass on April 26, 2011, 04:31:28 PM
I'm sure some people will buy it, at least eventually.  Then I am also sure it will eventually be available used via the Amazon marketplace.

Yes, but it is a matter of supply and demand.  If the CD is issued by the BMG record club they will go for $1.50 on marketplace.  If it is a failed release that Chandos sends to the grinder to make room in their warehouse, then it may turn into one of those elusive ones you can never find.  I think it will be a big success on the torrents.   ;D

Daverz

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on April 26, 2011, 03:56:51 PM
My interest in "Vainberg" came from those Olympia releases.  I wish I had known they would disappear so fast, I would have gotten more of them.  The Chandos series seems to have gone off the rails and I'm afraid we may be left without a good option for this composer.

If you Google "54ajax", you'll find some of these available as lossless downloads.