Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Lyric Opera of Chicago announced its 2014-15 season. The Passenger is one of the eight scheduled operas.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

jlaurson

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 30, 2014, 06:26:24 AM
Lyric Opera of Chicago announced its 2014-15 season. The Passenger is one of the eight scheduled operas.

Chicago is the performance to catch. The international libretto, not the considerably weaker English one!!!

Mirror Image

Is anyone thinking of picking this one up?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the only time Kremer has committed himself to any of Weinberg's music. Is this correct? Why, oh why has it taken him so long to record any Weinberg?!?!? I'd love to hear Kremer in the Violin Concerto.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2014, 08:37:55 AM
Is anyone thinking of picking this one up?

If I'm not mistaken, this is the only time Kremer has committed himself to any of Weinberg's music. Is this correct? Why, oh why has it taken him so long to record any Weinberg?!?!? I'd love to hear Kremer in the Violin Concerto.
Yep. Thinking that is. Not pressing buy buttons like one obsessed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 17, 2014, 10:07:49 AM
Yep. Thinking that is. Not pressing buy butoins like one obsessed.

Yeah, I'm just thinking, too. ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 17, 2014, 10:26:20 AM
I am really a fan of his string quartets, and I already own all of those.  But, Gidon Kremer playing the Third Violin Sonata is something I might go for.  The rest of the of the recording seems to have what looks to me like relatively less interesting material.

Disc: 1
1. Sonate Nr. 3 (op. 126)
2. Allegro con moto
3. Andante
4. Moderato assai
5. Allegretto
6. Lento
7. Allegro moderato

Disc: 2
1. Concertino (op. 42)
2. Concerto grosso. Grave
3. Pastorale. Lento
4. Canzona. Andantino
5. Burlesque. Allegro molto
6. Inversion. L istesso tempo

If this surfaces on MOG, I'll give a listen, for sure.

I can't say I know any of Weinberg's Violin Sonatas. I know he wrote many of them. I wonder where would be a good place to start?

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 17, 2014, 10:55:01 AM
This is a sonata for solo violin, not for piano and violin (the 3rd violin sonata with piano is op. 37).  This one is a late work.  I've not heard it but it is supposed to be an important work.

Ah okay, thanks.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2014, 10:40:19 AM
I can't say I know any of Weinberg's Violin Sonatas. I know he wrote many of them. I wonder where would be a good place to start?
[asin]B00C25DKBC[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: PaulR on February 17, 2014, 01:13:23 PM
[asin]B00C25DKBC[/asin]

Ah, yes. I've seen that set before. Haven't heard a note from it, but will investigate it. Thanks!

snyprrr

So, give me a bone- which is THE Weinberg String Quartet?, and please don't say No.12. Would I rather like Popov or Sheballin?

amw

Stream the disc with 2, 12 and 17 on Spotify or whatever you have. Most of the quartets are going to be like 12, Bartók meets Pettersson meets Ustvolskaya, but 2 is really cute, and 17 never does quite what you'd expect. If you already know that one, try the one with 5, 9 and 14; 5 is like 2, 9 is a lost Shosty work but less sarcastic and 14 is like 12 again (although with more happening).

snyprrr

Quote from: amw on February 17, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
Stream the disc with 2, 12 and 17 on Spotify or whatever you have. Most of the quartets are going to be like 12, Bartók meets Pettersson meets Ustvolskaya, but 2 is really cute, and 17 never does quite what you'd expect. If you already know that one, try the one with 5, 9 and 14; 5 is like 2, 9 is a lost Shosty work but less sarcastic and 14 is like 12 again (although with more happening).

I just sampled some of 2, 3, 4, 6, & 17. Well, I have some Danel recordings, and they are in that Arditti arena, so, when I was listening, and hearing the abject delicacy of No.6, which must be a 'Bird' SQ, very nice! There's a lot of what I immediately hear as 'Jewish DSCH' because it's all the same basic material anyway, I mean, you know, it is, but, whatever. Hearing 'DSCH' Music without the DSCH is like hearing someone do Bartok or Schoenberg. I mean, I liked it, but I have to give some credit to the artistry of the Danel for pulling it off. I am hearing all that European Rustic thing- Ginastera being another extreme in his 'Rustic'. Maybe if the Danel played Holmboe...

I'd certainly like to wind through the Danel's Cycle, perhaps they'd turn me around on No.12? Anyhow, just from the sample I would certainly recommend this Cycle to anyone (MI et al).

Still I need to check Popov and Shebalin...

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on February 17, 2014, 03:29:38 PM
The Danel set is the only one I've heard and consider it very good.  I always enjoy #5.

There aaare these Composers whom I like better before their embrace of Modernismo. DSCH SQ No.1, for instance (and No.6). Weinberg seems like like a nice early rustic.

amw

It's true, the Danels can probably make anything sound good. I'd like a Wellesz cycle from them myself.

I don't know the Popov quartets, but Shebalin is sort of like a somewhat modernised Myaskovsky. All of those are on Olympia so good luck.

amw

Quote from: sanantonio on February 17, 2014, 03:42:49 PM
I thought it was the Artis Quartet that did some Wellesz. 

Yes. Only three of the 8 quartets though. I don't believe any of the others have been recorded. Someone should do it. >.>

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on February 17, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
Stream the disc with 2, 12 and 17 on Spotify or whatever you have.

Thanks for the suggestion . . . the cover of the Danel Qt recording gives a dual opus number for the Second Quartet, so I am guessing they record the revised version?  Anyone have information about that revision? San Anton'?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Thanks!  If you could expand on that w/r/t the Second Quartet (have you heard both versions?), I should be interested to hear.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA