Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amw

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 17, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

Since no one seemed to have any comments on this I downloaded MP3s to have a listen. I was quite impressed with the Violin Sonata which received a very committed performance from Gidon—it's a 22 1/2 minute single movement of almost unremitting intensity, which is not going to be everyone's glass of vodka, but its somewhat fragmentary quality with snatches of melody often coming to the surface only to undercut themselves moment later definitely appeals to me.

Not so sure about the other pieces on the recording, though the Symphony No. 10 seems to have some interesting things in it as well.

I think the solo string music I've heard may be some of Metek's best stuff. Now curious about that NEOS release (though I find their decision to airbrush the normally pretty and human-looking Julia Rebekka Adler into a flawless wraith a bit questionable... not to mention it's out of stock at Presto and expensive everywhere else)

PaulR

.[asin]B00J587K74[/asin]

Anyone familiar with this CD?

pjme

Just listened to the slow movements of the violinconcerto. haunting!

Peter

71 dB

Quote from: PaulR on January 27, 2011, 04:40:54 PM
I saw on Arkivmusic that a bluray disc of Weinberg's opera The Passenger was released in November.

Just saw that on TV. It was the first Weinberg work I have ever heard. Now listening to Cello Sonatas on Spotify...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: PaulR on June 02, 2014, 10:08:01 AM
.[asin]B00J587K74[/asin]

Anyone familiar with this CD?

I bought this CD many nights ago. Did you ever get around to buying this one, Paul?

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on April 16, 2014, 01:29:32 AM
Since no one seemed to have any comments on this I downloaded MP3s to have a listen. I was quite impressed with the Violin Sonata which received a very committed performance from Gidon—it's a 22 1/2 minute single movement of almost unremitting intensity, which is not going to be everyone's glass of vodka, but its somewhat fragmentary quality with snatches of melody often coming to the surface only to undercut themselves moment later definitely appeals to me.

Not so sure about the other pieces on the recording, though the Symphony No. 10 seems to have some interesting things in it as well.

I think the solo string music I've heard may be some of Metek's best stuff. Now curious about that NEOS release (though I find their decision to airbrush the normally pretty and human-looking Julia Rebekka Adler into a flawless wraith a bit questionable... not to mention it's out of stock at Presto and expensive everywhere else)

Thanks for the feedback. I bought this set tonight. Can't wait to hear Kremer tear into some Weinberg. I don't think I've heard the Concertino For Violin and String Orchestra, so this will be an interesting listen.

Mirror Image

I definitely have the Danel Quartet's Weinberg SQ cycle on my wish list for a Christmas purchase. Should be good winter music. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on August 22, 2014, 04:26:14 AM

Just listened to the slow movements of the violinconcerto. haunting!

Peter

The best I can remember it is haunting. I have this Linus Roth performance of it on the way. I hope more soloists take up Weinberg's concerti. Have you heard the Cello Concerto per chance? This is a remarkable work.

Mirror Image

How about that Piano Quintet everyone? Wow...just wow....

This recording is especially fine:

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2014, 07:11:13 PM
The best I can remember it is haunting. I have this Linus Roth performance of it on the way. I hope more soloists take up Weinberg's concerti. Have you heard the Cello Concerto per chance? This is a remarkable work.

If you can find it, there was a recording by Leonid Kogan with Kondrashin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-4-Violin-Concerto-Kogan/dp/B0000266ZS

amw

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2014, 07:50:06 PM
This recording is especially fine:

I actually went and compared a bunch of recordings of the Piano Quintet on Qobuz when I first got it. This one's almost certainly the best. Second best is the one paired with the Shostakovich Quintet on Hänssler I think.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on September 15, 2014, 08:18:43 PM
I actually went and compared a bunch of recordings of the Piano Quintet on Qobuz when I first got it. This one's almost certainly the best. Second best is the one paired with the Shostakovich Quintet on Hänssler I think.

Yep, that's a good one on Hanssler, but this one from the Arc Ensemble is just in a different stratosphere altogether.

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 15, 2014, 08:19:24 PM
Good lord look at that price. :)

Yeah, I 'm not recommending the Kogan/Kondrashin recording at that price, particularly as I think the Grubert recording is pretty good and this newer one seems promising, but if you see it for $10 or Melodiya reissues it...

André

I have about half of his symphonies, which I find mostly very good, some excellent. Some chamber music, too, like his violin sonatas. But the qvartets have eluded me so far and I can't wait to start investigating them (should receive the CPO box in a fortnight).

What should I expect ?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Daverz on September 16, 2014, 04:40:41 PM
Yeah, I 'm not recommending the Kogan/Kondrashin recording at that price, particularly as I think the Grubert recording is pretty good and this newer one seems promising, but if you see it for $10 or Melodiya reissues it...

No doubt. I wish these Weinberg Olympia recordings would get reissued.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

PaulR

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2014, 10:47:04 AM
Am enjoying Symphony 21.
I also enjoyed the symphony.  I especially enjoyed the quotation of the 3rd movement of the Solo double Bass sonata in the 3rd movement (could be wrong on specific movement of the symphony) and the subsequent klezmer section

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on September 17, 2014, 10:47:04 AM
Am enjoying Symphony 21.

Coincidently, I just bought that Toccata Classics recording tonight (coupled w/ Polish Tunes).

TheGSMoeller

Lyric Opera Of Chicago Broadcasts
The Passenger by Mieczyslaw Weinberg,
with Amanda Majeski, Daveda Karanas and Brandon Jovanovich. Conducted by Andrew Davis
Tonight! at 8:15pm Eastern/7:15 pm Central

Listen to it LIVE on...
http://www.wfmt.com/

More information on the production...
http://www.lyricopera.org/passenger/