Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: karlhenning on February 25, 2015, 01:45:47 AM
Missed it, bummer!

You 'n' me both!

I have always wondered about the Lyric Opera: does that mean they will not sing Wagner ?   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

springrite

Quote from: Cato on February 25, 2015, 03:22:53 AM
You 'n' me both!

I have always wondered about the Lyric Opera: does that mean they will not sing Wagner ?   0:)

No. They recite the lyrics. It's like poetry reading.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: springrite on February 25, 2015, 03:33:46 AM
No. They recite the lyrics. It's like poetry reading.

Aha!  Sprechstimme!  So they would not be averse ( :P) to Schoenberg !   $:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

snyprrr

So which SQ is TheOne? Again, haven't heard any MW I've liked so far (any).

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on February 25, 2015, 06:49:24 AM
So which SQ is TheOne? Again, haven't heard any MW I've liked so far (any).

Probably this one, if you have to limit yourself.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 24, 2015, 01:56:50 PM
Lyric Opera Of Chicago Broadcasts
The Passenger by Mieczyslaw Weinberg,
with Amanda Majeski, Daveda Karanas and Brandon Jovanovich. Conducted by Andrew Davis
Tonight! at 8:15pm Eastern/7:15 pm Central

Listen to it LIVE on...
http://www.wfmt.com/

More information on the production...
http://www.lyricopera.org/passenger/

A few reviews, both positive, about this performance. I unfortunatly cannot open/link the Chicago Tribune article, not a paying customer I presume. But here's one from Chicago Classical Review.

http://chicagoclassicalreview.com/2015/02/lyric-opera-closes-season-with-weinbergs-moving-powerful-passenger/

The new erato

Quote from: sanantonio on February 26, 2015, 03:54:22 AM
The opera looks interesting, I wonder if a DVD or some such thing will appear any time soon?

It is on DVD and Blu ray already.

[asin]B004BIP0UW[/asin]

jlaurson

Quote from: sanantonio on February 26, 2015, 04:50:06 AM
Thanks.  All I can find on Amazon US is the Blu-ray format.

What you want is the international version... That, the Chicago version is (as opposed to the mono-language version done in Houston, NYC and London et al.) -- and also the Bregenz version.

Maybe you have to go via the UK to find it on DVD. Link here.

Meanwhile I hope The Iditot will be recorded in as good a performance as the premiere was. As an opera, it's even better than the Passenger, I find.

vandermolen

This is my favourite recorded performance of any Weinberg work; Kondrashin's epic performance of Symphony 5 which first alerted me to the importance of this composer when I took the Melodiya LP out of the record library in London many decades ago. Now Melodiya are releasing it on CD which is very good news. It was once on a Russian Disc CD but I suspect that the Melodiya will be a better transfer. In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony:
[asin]B00SSLUXHI[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2015, 12:24:39 AM
Th. In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony:
[asin]B00SSLUXHI[/asin]
You mean Russianwise I suppose?

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2015, 02:35:32 AM
Not sure what you mean.

"In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony"

As in ever (including Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner etc)? Or amongst Russin symphonies?

vandermolen

Quote from: The new erato on April 19, 2015, 02:43:05 AM
"In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony"

As in ever (including Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner etc)? Or amongst Russin symphonies?

Oh I see! I meant more or less contemporaneous ones which have (IMHO) a similarly manic cataclysmic quality to them. I know that the Weinberg is later. I should have made what I meant clearer.  ::)

André

You almost had me ordering this, Jeffrey - until I checked my shelves and discovered I had these two interps already (thanks to you in the case of # 5)  :P. These are on Russian Disc cds. Maybe the Melodiya sound is better ?

jlaurson

New release this year: Weinberg - Weinberg - Hartmann - Shostakovich

Rons_talking

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2015, 12:24:39 AM
This is my favourite recorded performance of any Weinberg work; Kondrashin's epic performance of Symphony 5 which first alerted me to the importance of this composer when I took the Melodiya LP out of the record library in London many decades ago. Now Melodiya are releasing it on CD which is very good news. It was once on a Russian Disc CD but I suspect that the Melodiya will be a better transfer. In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony:
[asin]B00SSLUXHI[/asin]

Agreed. The scope and emotion that is so skillfully crafted into a continuous build-up is worthy of the best of Russian symphonies in the modern era.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 19, 2015, 11:07:45 AM
You almost had me ordering this, Jeffrey - until I checked my shelves and discovered I had these two interps already (thanks to you in the case of # 5)  :P. These are on Russian Disc cds. Maybe the Melodiya sound is better ?

I'll let you know Andre.  :)