Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Rons_talking on April 22, 2015, 03:50:08 AM
Agreed. The scope and emotion that is so skillfully crafted into a continuous build-up is worthy of the best of Russian symphonies in the modern era.

Oh yes, his best symphony I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vandermolen on April 19, 2015, 12:24:39 AM
This is my favourite recorded performance of any Weinberg work; Kondrashin's epic performance of Symphony 5 which first alerted me to the importance of this composer when I took the Melodiya LP out of the record library in London many decades ago. Now Melodiya are releasing it on CD which is very good news. It was once on a Russian Disc CD but I suspect that the Melodiya will be a better transfer. In my view this is the only symphony, along with Popov's No.1, which can stand alongside Shostakovich's 4th Symphony:
[asin]B00SSLUXHI[/asin]

The transfer is much clearer than the Russian Disc version in my opinion. No.5 (dedicated to Kondrashin) is of the greatest 20th century symphonies in my opinion - a truly tragic and visionary work. I also like symphonies 1,3 and 6 of those I know but No.5 is desert island material - a wonderful score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

snyprrr

Piano Quintet (Kopelman Quartet; Kopelman/Nimbus)

Mmmm,... Just not getting into his PQ? I used to have the Olympia recording- old- which I recall not liking (of course I wanted something like Shosty at the time). This recording is of course beautiful, with great playing- laying bare the music to speak for itself- and- meh- uh-  what am I missing? It sounds like "complicated" Shosty to me- I wanted that "natural" way that Shosty builds his slow movements with traditional melodies of beauty- Vainberg seems to have something to prove (Jewish thing?).

eh???

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on May 11, 2015, 05:21:04 AM
Piano Quintet (Kopelman Quartet; Kopelman/Nimbus)

Mmmm,... Just not getting into his PQ? I used to have the Olympia recording- old- which I recall not liking (of course I wanted something like Shosty at the time). This recording is of course beautiful, with great playing- laying bare the music to speak for itself- and- meh- uh-  what am I missing?

I have this 'un, which I find beautifully played, and entirely engaging music.

[asin]B004KDO2U2[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

amw

Quote from: karlhenning on May 11, 2015, 05:34:07 AM
I have this 'un, which I find beautifully played, and entirely engaging music.

[asin]B004KDO2U2[/asin]
That's the second best one. The best is this one:

https://play.spotify.com/album/2k56nzA4he4NZKMMYpyj83

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on May 11, 2015, 05:43:37 AM
That's the second best one. The best is this one:

https://play.spotify.com/album/2k56nzA4he4NZKMMYpyj83

Can't mash that link at present;  can you inform me somehow?  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

amw

Quote from: karlhenning on May 11, 2015, 05:44:42 AM
Can't mash that link at present;  can you inform me somehow?  ;)
[asin]B000I0QKII[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on May 11, 2015, 05:50:27 AM
[asin]B000I0QKII[/asin]

Thanks;  looks too good (and too inexpensive) to pass up!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on May 11, 2015, 06:18:41 AM
Thanks;  looks too good (and too inexpensive) to pass up!

And landed yesterday.

Separately:  Did we know?— http://www.weinbergsociety.com/
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2015, 11:37:53 PM
The transfer is much clearer than the Russian Disc version in my opinion. No.5 (dedicated to Kondrashin) is of the greatest 20th century symphonies in my opinion - a truly tragic and visionary work. I also like symphonies 1,3 and 6 of those I know but No.5 is desert island material - a wonderful score.

I agree Jeffrey! Such a harrowing, haunting work. Dare I say that it challenges any of Shostakovich's more acclaimed symphonies. It's just that good. Also, I bought this Melodiya on your recommendation as it will supplement the burned copy you sent awhile back. 8)

71 dB

I ordered my first Weinberg disc (Cello Sonatas on Naxos) two weeks ago. Still waiting for it. Royal Mail became slow as hell couple of years ago. My orders used to arrive within one week from UK to Finland. Now 10 days is ultra fast, 2 weeks typical and sometimes 3 weeks! How can it take 3 weeks to deliver a f'cking CD from UK to Finland? I don't understand. How about improving mail service instead of ruining it? Wouldn't that be cool? Apparently not. So, I will be waiting for my CDs here... ...when they finally arrive I have forgotten I ever bought them.  ::)

I saw The Passenger on TV some time ago and got interested of Weinberg (a completely new composer for me). It's somewhat intimidating to be at this position waiting for my first disc of a composer. Reading your messages makes me think: Okay, you found Weinberg 30 years ago or 10 years ago and you know tons of his works. Well, I happened to find him only recently and I'm in the beginning. I'm not going to feel inferior! I know music you others don't know about. Some of you have only recently found the music of Carl Nielsen while I found his music almost 20 years ago.

At the moment I can't discuss much about Weinberg. Maybe later. It seem the RCA chamber music disc would a good choice...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

It doesn't really matter when we find a composer's music just as long as we find it. That's my philosophy anyway. I urge you, 71 dB, to listen to Symphony No. 5. Since you're really into Naxos recordings, there's quite a good series (so far) of Weinberg symphonies and other orchestral works with Vladimir Lande/St. Petersburg State Symphony Orchestra.

FWIW, that chamber recording on RCA with the Piano Quintet is top-drawer. Definitely worth your time.

71 dB

The Naxos Cello Sonatas disc 8.570333 arrived finally today!  :) I'm listening to it while writing this. Sounds good. I like!

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2015, 04:03:44 PM
It doesn't really matter when we find a composer's music just as long as we find it. That's my philosophy anyway. I urge you, 71 dB, to listen to Symphony No. 5. Since you're really into Naxos recordings, there's quite a good series (so far) of Weinberg symphonies and other orchestral works with Vladimir Lande/St. Petersburg State Symphony Orchestra.

FWIW, that chamber recording on RCA with the Piano Quintet is top-drawer. Definitely worth your time.

Weinberg seems to be more or less "my cup of tea" so I definitely intend to explored his symphonies. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take this exploration slowly so please don't expect me to know every recorded work by Weinberg by next week.  ;D My main exploration project currently is scanning "contemporary" composers.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on August 24, 2015, 07:36:24 AM
The Naxos Cello Sonatas disc 8.570333 arrived finally today!  :) I'm listening to it while writing this. Sounds good. I like!

Weinberg seems to be more or less "my cup of tea" so I definitely intend to explored his symphonies. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take this exploration slowly so please don't expect me to know every recorded work by Weinberg by next week.  ;D My main exploration project currently is scanning "contemporary" composers.

Excellent, 71 dB! Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to know every work by Weinberg by next week. :) Take your time, but, rest assured, Weinberg is very much worth your time. Some people have even likened Weinberg as the greatest Soviet composer after Prokofiev and Shostakovich. Hearing a work like his Symphony No. 5 or the Cello Concerto, I certainly won't argue with such an opinion.

PaulR

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 23, 2015, 04:03:44 PM

I think most, if not all, of his chamber works are fantastic.  But the Piano Quintet is special.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PaulR on August 24, 2015, 05:44:13 PM
I think most, if not all, of his chamber works are fantastic.  But the Piano Quintet is special.

I can't argue with my Weinberg buddy. 8)

PaulR

I am hoping that the Pacifica Quartet someday does the complete String Quartet cycle.  I love Danel Quartet's set, but it would be nice to have a rival cycle.

Mirror Image

Quote from: PaulR on August 24, 2015, 05:52:42 PM
I am hoping that the Pacifica Quartet someday does the complete String Quartet cycle.  I love Danel Quartet's set, but it would be nice to have a rival cycle.

I can't say I know any of Weinberg's SQs, but I'm not a huge fan of the medium TBH.

Scion7

This guy was a hidden talent and I'm glad that these days his works are available and known to the rest of the world.  Great chamber music and orchestral works.  Being a Jew in communist Russia was not an easy life.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."