Mieczysław Weinberg (1919-1996)

Started by Maciek, November 13, 2008, 01:32:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wieland

Quote from: Artem on September 25, 2015, 07:31:50 PM
Does anybody own the box set with the string quartets? How are the liner notes? Are they the same as on the individual CDs?
Definitely, cpo always only puts together the original CDs incl. Booklets in a card-box. You will get all the original liner notes.

71 dB

Bringing this conversation to a more proper place:

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 26, 2015, 07:15:37 PM
I wouldn't want to be without Shostakovich, but Weinberg is an excellent composer in his own right. The problem with Weinberg seems to be the quality of some of his music isn't on the same consistent scale as Shostakovich's whether you favor one over another is a different matter, but I just think Shostakovich tapped into that Soviet psyche and what it meant to be a Russian living in those grueling Stalin years. Weinberg can be a bit more lyrical than Shostakovich, but, again, I like both composers, but I'll always choose Shostakovich as his music is more in-line with my own personality and, more importantly, how I feel. If I had to pick a favorite Weinberg work it would be his Symphony No. 5 (Kondrashin performance only). The slow movement alone is a miniature masterpiece. I may even prefer this symphony to Shostakovich's own. :-\ :)

Obviously Shostakovich is a million times more popular composer. Only about a year ago Weinberg was only a name for me without any interest. Weinberg is to Shostakovich what Taneyev is to Tchaikovsky. I won't commend on the quality of the music, but Weinberg's style suites better my taste. Maybe it's living as a Finn next to Russia making me feel I have my share of "Soviet psyche" without any music.

My favorite work by Shostakovich by far is 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87. Shostakovich's Symphonies I find dull, at least the few I know (I don't have interest to explore them further). Shostakovich's concertos seems to work much better for me than the symphonies. I quite like them.

My favorite work by Weinberg is too soon to tell.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Wieland

Weinberg finished 21 symphonies, not all of them have been recorded so far, I believe 11 and 13 are still waiting. Anyway, the more I listen to the late symphonies, the more at least for me, his main contribution seems to be here. Today, I listened again to his 20th symphony. Already from the outlook, a strange work. Two 12-min Largos surround three smaller movements, all more of less scherzos. The largos of course are the main dish, deeply felt music which really goes to the centre of your heart. The three scherzos are desperately trying to be positive, but fail to do so. When Weinberg was writing this, his personal situation was not good. Although it was already glasnost time and the pressure on artists relieved, he was in a depressing situation. Many of his friends (like DSCH) already dead, his supporters mainly now living the west and a new generation of composers (Schnittke, Gubaidulina, Denissov) being considered as the Russian avantgarde. So he was almost forgotten and in addition harmed by a serious chronic disease. Still, he was able to pull of a symphony of the first order. Just listen to the "simple" final pages of this symphony, no one except Mahler and Shostakovich could do it in this way. For me, one of the best works of this still undervalued composer.
If you buy this CD and don't like this work, there is still the early cello concerto which is much more easy-going and one of the nicest works written for this instrument in the 20th century.
[asin]B007NE5P1U[/asin]

Scion7

Well, he was an excellent craftsman of chamber music - very fine works.

I enjoy the orchestral music, too.   I've only heard the 3rd piano sonata - I need to dig into these at some point.

I think as time goes on, his work will be more and more appreciated.  Certainly one of the finest 20th century composers from Poland, and one who took an admirable stance against the Soviet system when it was very dangerous to do so, doubly so by being a Jew under the Stalinist regime living in the USSR.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Wieland

Listened again to SQ 7 today, what a wonderful piece, two heartfelt Adagios surrounding an Allegretto. As good as any DSCH quartet and a good start for any newcomer.

[asin]B001E2V8PO[/asin]

PaulR

Just curious, does anyone have the new DVD of The Passenger? I am curious about it, it seems to be the same production as the blu ray.  Is this the case, or is it worth buying a 2nd version?

vandermolen

Quote from: Wieland on September 27, 2015, 12:02:49 PM
Weinberg finished 21 symphonies, not all of them have been recorded so far, I believe 11 and 13 are still waiting. Anyway, the more I listen to the late symphonies, the more at least for me, his main contribution seems to be here. Today, I listened again to his 20th symphony. Already from the outlook, a strange work. Two 12-min Largos surround three smaller movements, all more of less scherzos. The largos of course are the main dish, deeply felt music which really goes to the centre of your heart. The three scherzos are desperately trying to be positive, but fail to do so. When Weinberg was writing this, his personal situation was not good. Although it was already glasnost time and the pressure on artists relieved, he was in a depressing situation. Many of his friends (like DSCH) already dead, his supporters mainly now living the west and a new generation of composers (Schnittke, Gubaidulina, Denissov) being considered as the Russian avantgarde. So he was almost forgotten and in addition harmed by a serious chronic disease. Still, he was able to pull of a symphony of the first order. Just listen to the "simple" final pages of this symphony, no one except Mahler and Shostakovich could do it in this way. For me, one of the best works of this still undervalued composer.
If you buy this CD and don't like this work, there is still the early cello concerto which is much more easy-going and one of the nicest works written for this instrument in the 20th century.
[asin]B007NE5P1U[/asin]
Am tempted by this release but I already have the Cello Concerto coupled with Symphony 1 on the Northern Flowers label. Symphonies 1,3,5 and 6 are my favourites of those I have heard.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

I thought the marimba theme in the beginning of the finale of Weinberg's Symphony #12 is a good "ringtone" for a mobile phone.

So, I ripped the finale from the Naxos disc I have and opened the wav-file in Audacity. I took the first 15 seconds or so and cut away the rest 17 minutes. Since mobile phones are monophonic sound sources, I transformed the stereo track into a mono track. I used a special algorithm I wrote a year ago to do that (a Nyquist-plugin for Audacity). Normal mono omids all out of phase information of a stereo track. My "vivid mono" algorithm adds delayed out of phase information at higher frequencies to the "in phase" information so that the signals do not cancel each other (there are frequency response effects but nothing serious).

Vivid mono is still mono, but it preserves much of the "sparkle" of stereophonic tracks caused by out of phase information. Normal stereo to mono sounds "dead" and cold compared to vivid mono. Mono tracks which were originally (recorded) mono are "vivid", because there hasn't been stereo to mono transformation to omid things selectively.

I also filtered low frequencies away (48 dB/oct @ 100 Hz and 6 dB/oct @ 200 Hz). These lower frequencies cause only distortion when the phone tries to play them. I made a 64 kbps mp3 mono file and transferred it to my phone. My phone is Weinberged now.  :)

Scion7

All that trouble for the sound quality of a cellphone?   :D
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

71 dB

Quote from: Scion7 on January 16, 2016, 04:33:24 AM
All that trouble for the sound quality of a cellphone?   :D
Yes. Shitty quality at it's best!

I am interested of these things. My undestanding of sound improves with these tests. Who knows where this knowledge can be used for greater benefits?

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 16, 2016, 04:03:27 AM
I thought the marimba theme in the beginning of the finale of Weinberg's Symphony #12 is a good "ringtone" for a mobile phone.

So, I ripped the finale from the Naxos disc I have and opened the wav-file in Audacity. I took the first 15 seconds or so and cut away the rest 17 minutes. Since mobile phones are monophonic sound sources, I transformed the stereo track into a mono track. I used a special algorithm I wrote a year ago to do that (a Nyquist-plugin for Audacity). Normal mono omids all out of phase information of a stereo track. My "vivid mono" algorithm adds delayed out of phase information at higher frequencies to the "in phase" information so that the signals do not cancel each other (there are frequency response effects but nothing serious).

Vivid mono is still mono, but it preserves much of the "sparkle" of stereophonic tracks caused by out of phase information. Normal stereo to mono sounds "dead" and cold compared to vivid mono. Mono tracks which were originally (recorded) mono are "vivid", because there hasn't been stereo to mono transformation to omid things selectively.

I also filtered low frequencies away (48 dB/oct @ 100 Hz and 6 dB/oct @ 200 Hz). These lower frequencies cause only distortion when the phone tries to play them. I made a 64 kbps mp3 mono file and transferred it to my phone. My phone is Weinberged now.  :)

Thanks for sharing? :-\

71 dB

Mirror Image

Getting back to Weinberg's music, what do you think of the music you've heard so far, 71 dB? I expect a full report by the end of the night. :)

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2016, 08:49:25 AM
Getting back to Weinberg's music, what do you think of the music you've heard so far, 71 dB? I expect a full report by the end of the night. :)

My last Weinberg purchases were String Quartets which I enjoy a lot. Chamber Weinberg seems to rule. I also like the symphonies I have (12 & 19). Concertos maybe aren't Weinberg's strongest are (?).

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 16, 2016, 09:30:13 AM
My last Weinberg purchases were String Quartets which I enjoy a lot. Chamber Weinberg seems to rule. I also like the symphonies I have (12 & 19). Concertos maybe aren't Weinberg's strongest are (?).

The Cello Concerto is very much worth your attention which Brian can attest to as he's been singing its praises for quite some time now. I recommend this work but I also HIGHLY recommend his Symphony No. 5 (the Kondrashin recording).

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2016, 06:58:11 PM
The Cello Concerto is very much worth your attention which Brian can attest to as he's been singing its praises for quite some time now. I recommend this work but I also HIGHLY recommend his Symphony No. 5 (the Kondrashin recording).

Ok thanks. Added these to my wishlist.

Oh, The Piano Quintet is a great work. I don't like singing in Weinberg's music.

jlaurson

Quote from: 71 dB on January 16, 2016, 09:30:13 AM

I wouldn't say that, either... the Violin Concerto is rather among his strongest works, actually, and Shostakovich was (coyly) envious that he didn't write it. The other quasi-VCs (i.e. Moldovian Rhapsody) are considerably easier, lighter stuff, with more hints of Khachaturian than DSCH, but very enjoyable to listen to, too!

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2015/12/best-recordings-of-2015-10.html

http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2014/12/best-recordings-of-2014-9.html

André

If you don't know the Trumpet Concerto, you don't know your Weinberg well enough  :laugh:

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on January 17, 2016, 09:37:34 AM
If you don't know the Trumpet Concerto, you don't know your Weinberg well enough  :laugh:

Yes, another great work indeed.

71 dB

Quote from: jlaurson on January 17, 2016, 07:24:42 AM
I wouldn't say that, either... the Violin Concerto is rather among his strongest works,
Oh? The Violin Concerto has been a disappointment to me, but maybe I get it's greatness someday...